Active Topics

hi everyone, is there a tweak (mod) to transfer image or music using NFC to other device beside N9. Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to vbl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
It works with other Nokia products from the Symbian range, so it's not N9 to N9 only. Seems to be Nokia only, though. And: No, I'm sorry, I don't know any ways to change this.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
NFC should work fine with all devices... Provided they too have the NFC hardware.

I don't think the S3 does? (could be wrong)

Edit: Just seen Benny's post. My point still stands, though. They should work unless the manufacturer decides to be difficult.

Last edited by MINKIN2; 2012-11-27 at 10:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
I think this is a device limitation; NFC on Nokia phones use Bluetooth as the base medium while on Android Google decided to use WiFi hence the incompatibility...

(The above is what I read somewhere so I can't guarantee its veracity)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
after samsung (android) nfc protocol initiated..they will open connection using WiFi direct

after nokia (N9, symbian) nfc protocol initiated...they will open connection using bluetooth ftp

so in short, n9 <-> android will never work.

not sure about windows phone nfc file transfer yet

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soryuuha For This Useful Post:
thanks alot guys, now i understood that NFC only work among Nokia

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
I think this is a device limitation; NFC on Nokia phones use Bluetooth as the base medium while on Android Google decided to use WiFi hence the incompatibility..
Interesting, I didn't know that. OTOH - wtf? I mean, why would Android choose WiFi? I'd assume that in 80% of the cases when people want to transfer files, they're not both on the same WiFi network, if on any WiFi network at all. Seems like a very unstable solution...?

(Or was WiFi just an example and it would work as long as the devices are just online, including 3G?)

Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Originally Posted by soryuuha View Post
so in short, n9 <-> android will never work.
never say never

what about opening a wifi connection on n9 by nfc, i think this could be done already by profilematic... maybe with some tuning it could work.

Edit: to be more spcific about the "tuning"
creating a shell-script which opens wifi-hospot and maybe sets some needed parameters and running it as custom action
don't know what's needed exactly to enable file transfer, but for me it does not seem completely impossible...

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I'd assume that in 80% of the cases when people want to transfer files, they're not both on the same WiFi network, if on any WiFi network at all. Seems like a very unstable solution...?
This is about an Ad-Hoc connection directly between the 2 devices, without any router or something like that.

Last edited by Leinad; 2012-11-27 at 10:31.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
From what I had read it was sought of agreed on a global standard but not signed on that Bluetooth would be the medium of choice for NFC...

However, since it wasn't a signed standard, Google chose to use the WiFi antenna of devices to do the transfers instead...

Its a similar situation to Apple's headphones standards which mean many new/popular headphones don't work on the N9 without an adaptor due to the way the contacts are wired...Nokia used the global/prevalent standard, Apple re-invented the wheel and got away with it due to their size same as Google & NFC...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 665 | Thanked: 2,388 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Zagreb, Croatia
Actually I think this might be a NFC limitation on Android, had same issues with Xperia series...

The Following User Says Thank You to knobtviker For This Useful Post: