Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
I don't have the files on my head now, but one could edit the scripts that are taking care of unmounting the sd card when the cover is removed so that it checks if swap is on sd card and if so, cleanly do a swapoff (possibly adding swapon /dev/mmc0blkp2 so that there is some swap at all), and then doing the reverse when the cover is put back in place.

I'll see if I have some time to check that..

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
how about stopping the N900 from unmounting SD card?
in this i mean by scripts or something, the low tech mode would be to place a very small neodymium magnet where the magnet sensor is, this way the N900 would think that the cover is still on and not unmount SD card

reinob, i would not bother with this if performance increase is only marginal for swap striping.

i actually found performance to be noticeably improved with swap striping under heavy load so i'm quite interested to know how to do this.

Posts: 188 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
Hi there all.

Until yesterday I was using only one swap partition on micro sd with the "build" in one disabled.
I've decided that having two independent swap partitions will be better so I did everything as it was described here:

https://wiki.maemo.org/Swap_on_microSD

Everything is working fine and both swaps have the priority of 0 (zero). Well it is fine until the next reboot. Is there any way to change this so I don't have to re-write commands after each and one reboot?
I did all work without starting the Easy Debian itself, just from the Debian Chroot app from maemo menu.

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
It is not better to have mmcblk0p3 activated when using swap on SD.

But if you like it that way just create a small.script and put it in /etc/event.d ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
For dual swap partitions I have been using the program Flopswap for a long time and just forgot about this issue.

Flopswap contains a script to swap from SD card /dev/mmcblk1p3 to /dev/mmcblk1p2 back and forth to prevent swap space fragmenation and that really helps.
You can remove the SD card safely after using the flopswap option: "swap to device"

51 days uptime and fast swapping.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 188 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
So easiest way is to make two seperate swap spaces on micro sd, install flopswap and the reboot issue will be solved by the app itself?

and if I decided to keep my swap as it is should I add to rcs file something like this?:

Code:
swapon -p 0 /dev/mmcblk1p1
swapoff /dev/mmcblk0p3
swapon -p 0 /dev/mmcblk0p3
Add:

I just created two equal 512mb swap partitions and it seems to work with flopswap. Didn't have much time to test, but first impression is good, got 3 full web info pages loaded and browsing is fast - but I running mine n900 at 1000mhz, but the previous setup had some problems with same pages.

Last edited by Ridd92; 2016-07-29 at 14:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ridd92 For This Useful Post: