"Only codecs developed from the ground up by free software groups like Xiph are completely patents free. Codecs which were closed and opened later like Theora (VP3) and VP8 have patents which were assigned to them originally, but which were "liberated" as open - i.e. granted royalty free usage. It's as if they don't exist for you for all practical purposes. Who told you that Dirac has no patents attached to it? It has them, and they are royalty free as in VP8 case:"

This is rubbish, even software developed in a clean room from the ground up can be found infringing on third party software patents regardless of who or how it is implemented.

The only answer is to abolish software patents entirely, once and for all, there is no half way house, no middle ground, they are just plain wrong.

You don't create a different printing press by making it print a different book.

You don't create a different computer by making it run a different program.

rgds

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to uTMY For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Holding patents has become sort of like the countries holding nukes - the big players have them, and they use them to keep each other in check.
Another reason why software patent will be *never* allowed in EU (no matter of lobbyist's armies), not to mention Asia. Let US sink in software stagnancy, due to own stupidity - unless they finally decide abandon such ridiculous idea, as soft patenting.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by uTMY View Post
This is rubbish, even software developed in a clean room from the ground up can be found infringing on third party software patents regardless of who or how it is implemented.
Reading comprehension issues? I wrote about patents filed by the creators of the codec, not about whether the codec infringes something or not. I.e. free software projects usually don't file such patents, but even they can do it for defensive purposes, and I'm OK with that, if such defensive nature is formalized and can't become offensive in any case.

Surely, I support the abolition of patents on software and algorithms. But projects operate in current reality where they exist (in some countries), so making defensive patent pool is acceptable, even RedHat does that.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-03-31 at 01:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
You stated "Only codecs developed from the ground up by free software groups like Xiph are completely patents free"

I am fairly sure you would not be able to file a defensive software patent if a third party already has filed patents covering the same method since there would be prior art invalidating your newer patent application.

Given the number of software patents and their broad coverage, it is fairly unlikely that any method of producing a codec has not already been fully covered by issued software patents.

rgds

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to uTMY For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by uTMY View Post
You stated "Only codecs developed from the ground up by free software groups like Xiph are completely patents free
In reply to Wikiwide who wrote:

I get that VP8 is under a free license, and the patents are royalty-free, but I still would have preferred to have no patents at all (similarly to Dirac), and a license-as-open-as-possible. Both VP8 and Theora are derived from VP3; why is Theora not considered a worthy choice?
Meaning the patents filed by the creators. So I answered about the same subject - please pay attention to the discussion when replying, to save everyone's time. And I agree - there is no such thing as "completely patents free 100% guaranteed". Since you never know what kind of patent troll can surface up tomorrow attacking something. Literally no one is protected against it 100%. However for all practical purposes "no known patents" is good enough. That's how everything operates anyway.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-03-31 at 18:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Another reason why software patent will be *never* allowed in EU (no matter of lobbyist's armies)
You sound very sure in yourself. Pray you won't turn out to be wrong... The lobbyist have clients with very, very deep pockets.

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:

Tags
codecs war, google, google bad, nokia, nokia good