Posts: 7 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Marbella, Malaga
I was one of the first people in my area to buy the N900 and I've been sitting quietly waiting for Maemo6, sorry Meego, Oooops sorry again Tizen.

Well there is still no news for the final working OS for my N900. I have now bought a tablet with android and I'm now waiting for ICS which has been confirmed by Sony to be coming soon.

But my brilliantly designed N900 phone (I love the keyboard) is now starting to run badly.

So what should I do:

1). Wait for the right OS to be ready.
2). Put Android on my N900
3). Buy an Android phone

The good news is that I'm not interested in any other OS.

Can someone, who really knows whats happening, tell me, I'm begining to loose hope.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Ole! Marbella!

reflash it, get a new battery for it and enjoy it all over again!
There's alot more info now on how to run the phone better
Generally, less is more

Thanks for that really usefull information, sorry but, I know how to use my phone and both of my batteries are in tip top condition.

I just want a finished OS, maybe a system monitor can respond or a OS programmer or someone that really knows.

Really knows what?

Not sure you have stated any requirements here.

I am not sure an OS is ever truly finished.

rgds

ps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hti5e7tY2Q

memory lane, back in the days when we thought 3.5 million lines of code was enough for anyone, oh how we laughed.

Last edited by uTMY; 2012-01-09 at 14:04.

I dont think there will ever be a Maemo6, Meego is not HTML 5 based and the tizen website gives very little information.

So it's all a little bit confusing. I currently have the version 21.2011.38-1of maemo5 that includes qt.

I know that no OS is really finished, they are all ongoing projects.

But every time I try to show the machine to someone, something breaks infront of them, its either maps, gallery with no zoom mode, bluetooth or something important, so is it worth me waiting around for another year?

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by Hurleston View Post
Thanks for that really usefull information, sorry but, I know how to use my phone and both of my batteries are in tip top condition.

I just want a finished OS, maybe a system monitor can respond or a OS programmer or someone that really knows.
Define what you regard as a "finished OS".

(tip: it doesn't exist)

In answer to your question: 3

"But every time I try to show the machine to someone, something breaks infront of them, its either maps, gallery with no zoom mode, bluetooth or something important, so is it worth me waiting around for another year?"

None of these things happen on mine, it works as near flawlessly as I would wish for and is therefore as close to finished as I need.

I use Maemo 5, v21.2011.38-1

Of course showing it off to others isn't on my list of requirements though, but I am sure if it was then it would do that brilliantly too.

rgds

The Following User Says Thank You to uTMY For This Useful Post:
You can zoom into satelite view with the maps.
You can zoom into a photo you just took.
You have multipal profiles and grouping for your contacts.
Your sms messages can be read to you.
You can syncronise your N900 with your linux based pc.
You can talk to your phone through your car.

I cant do any of these things.

But, I used to be able to do all these things with my N95, I got ride of it thinking that this phone would beat the N95 hands down.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hurleston For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by Hurleston View Post
You can zoom into satelite view with the maps.
You can zoom into a photo you just took.
You have multipal profiles and grouping for your contacts.
Your sms messages can be read to you.
You can syncronise your N900 with your linux based pc.
You can talk to your phone through your car.

I cant do any of these things.

But, I used to be able to do all these things with my N95, I got ride of it thinking that this phone would beat the N95 hands down.
1, 2, 5: Working fine.
3,4 & 6: No idea, have no use for those functions.

Sounds like you want to re-flash your phone if it can't even zoom in on a photo...

Seems like classical fault on user side - user breaks something, user accuse device of working "badly".

Anyway, only one project that can be considered a possible successor - both for new devices, and for N900 - is Mer, probably with Nemo/Lipstick.

[rant mode]Tizen is joke, CordiaHD as UI for Mer isn't even going to be on usable state (my personal opinion, so don't ask for quotes), and 'Nokia ADHD (tm)' isn't going to be of any use for FOSS community for upcoming years, I suppose.

Instead of whining, go fix system on Your device, or follow jedi's advice, buy Android phote, and smoke it. [/rant mode]

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: