Active Topics

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
I could not get it fixed because Nokia refused to repair under warranty. I got the N900 from the US but live in the UK. When the fault developed I called Nokia and they said they could not fix it because they do not do international warranties.
Unfortunately, Nokia seems quite strict with that policy. I imagine it's intended to discourage grey market sales, but it's darned annoying for honest customers who travel or move.

And I have even greater trouble understanding companies that flat out refuse paid repairs. Motorola did that to me with a phone I purchased new-in-box, but after that particular phone model had been discontinued. The screen died a month after purchase, but Motorola wouldn't repair it under warranty or at my cost. eBay and a phone dead by other means came to my aid, but sadly, that's less likely to work out for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
I am also paying £10 for DHL £500 cover for loss of goods. Will secretly be praying that DHL loses my N900.
Pay the DHL person who collects it £10 to accidently lose it for you

But yeah, Nokia sucks.

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Thanks. I have taken your advise and I have now booked for DHL to come and pick the N900 up tomorrow to send to the US. Will probably be like over a month before I get it back fixed (if they fix it at all).

I am also paying £10 for DHL £500 cover for loss of goods. Will secretly be praying that DHL loses my N900.
good luck my friend. our fight against the corporations must never end. these are billion dollar companies that chew and spit out consumers and we must do what we can to get by. keep us updated.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mierlo, Netherlands
Hey... I really hope you get your N900 back, fixed...

Yea... guess their customer service sucks!

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Unfortunately, Nokia seems quite strict with that policy. I imagine it's intended to discourage grey market sales, but it's darned annoying for honest customers who travel or move.
To purchase electronics in the US and bring it to EU is normally illegal. The reason is different standards. It is illegal to import electronics (or anything else for that matter) into EU that is not CE marked, but needs to be. But I guess Nokia products in the US also is CE marked? in that case any "gray import" is nonsense, totally irrelevant, it is the entity that sells it to you that is responsible, be it Nokia or Dell or whoever. But Nokia US is probably a very different entity that Nokia in a European country.

Last edited by bsving; 2010-09-20 at 21:08.

Originally Posted by bsving View Post
To purchase electronics in the US and bring it to EU is normally illegal. The reason is different standards. It is illegal to import electronics (or anything else for that matter) into EU that is not CE marked, but needs to be.
Uhm, apart from the fact that CE is a joke (the saying goes it stands for 'China Export'), since it is a self-certification the manufacturer does -- the CE conformance declaration is only needed if you are doing commercial sales, AFAIK.

As a private citizen, importing electronic goods lacking the CE mark for your own personal use is quite legitimate, as long as it doesn't break any other regulations (RF stuff and whatnot). And even then importing is ok, just using isn't.

Regards,
Chris.

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Michigan
I have had similar experience with Nokia Customer Service and it has stopped me from purchasing another Nokia phone going forward.

I liked the N900 and would probably like the N9 as well however Nokia's customer service is the most god awful thing I have ever experienced. This is coming from someone who has dealt with customer service from consumer level up to business / CEO.

If Nokia would spend even a little time improving their customer support and customer relations I "may" consider another Nokia phone but until then I moved to iPhone and Android. It's funny really. . . and Nokia wonders why their shares are slipping. . .

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bijiont For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
nokia is bad like any other big corp. consider apple (top tier?) they provide 3 month free technical support for their super duper mac book pro then its $400 for extension. so the choice is clear either leave supprt to be free (and risk poor quality?) or charge and improve service. i know this post is about warranty but still.

reminds me the dedicated n97 (free) line nokia setup. was hilarious as the person on the other end knew less than me in resolving the infamous bricking problem. created. tested and failed. but at least they tried?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@afaq: I think that 3 months coverage by Apple is something for noobs/normal ppl for voice consultation/troubleshooting. Their hardware coverage goes the normal 1 year. For $100-150, you can extend their coverage to 3 years.

Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
And I have even greater trouble understanding companies that flat out refuse paid repairs.
it probably is much cheaper to nokia to switch the whole device instead of ripping the whole device apart and switching the board. So the boards probably aren't even available for service businesses at all.

e: and company after company are ditching worldwide warranties. reason: getting the arbitrage from the markets. You can put bigger price to markets that have more money to spend and smaller to poorer markets while product being sold is exactly the same (except for the region printed to warranty card)...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Last edited by ossipena; 2010-09-21 at 08:20.