Active Topics

Notices

Not sure if this has been posted before. I searched the site and did not find the answer. Finally got it working using a combination of threads on this site and on XDA developers.

Was a complicated process because Android devices do not autmatically see ad hoc connections so have to work around that. Even after I did that I still had problems connecting to N900. Will detail all the steps I took to finally get it working. I am using the Samsung Galaxy Tab. So now I can browse on a 7 inch screen. The N900 will never have a rival in terms of integrated chat accounts. So use the N900 for msn, yahoo, face book chat, gtalk and skype (simultaneously) and use the Tab for internet browsing on the [big] screen.

All applications used to get the connection are free. You may already have an alternative app installed.

So here is the procedure:

Android Device

You need to have your device rooted. Easiest way to root the device is by downloading z4root from xda developers site in link below.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=833953

Once the device is rooted you need to download the attached zip file on your android device. You can download androzip from android market to unzip the file.

Next you need an application manager that has root access and gives read and write privileges. I used Super Manager. Apparently you need to switch of all wireless connections for the next step to work. The unzipped wpa_supplicant file needs to replace the wpa_supplicant file in the following folder (make a back up copy of the original file first and store in safe place):

system/bin

Now your android device should be able to see ad hoc connections.

N900

Download mobile hotspot using the application manager or faster application manager.

Start mobile hotspot. Select encryption if you want to add one. Press start. Once stop shows then the hotspot is running.

At this stage your android device should be able to see the N900's connection. Just select the connection to connect.

I should warn that at this stage I was unable to connect. My android device just get acquiring IP address over and over again with no success.

Problem seems to have been the FMMS which I had uninstalled ages ago (as I do not use MMS) but for some reason the connection does not delete. To delete it (if you do not use it) download FAPN and use that to delete the connection. Once I did this I was able to connect my Galaxy Tab.

I think you may have to disable WEP key. You may also need to select static IP connection on the android device. On the Tab to select static IP you go to wifi connections, press the options button and then select advanced. Not sure if it is the same for all android devices but i assume it would be or at least something similar. When I did these two additional steps it works perfectly and is incredibly fast. In fact faster than using the N900 itself.

Hope you find this info useful.
Attached Files
File Type: zip wpa_supplicant.zip (173.6 KB, 589 views)

Last edited by etuoyo; 2011-01-09 at 14:18.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Nicely done this will come in handy for sharing my N900 connection to my friends Android when they come over, thanks

ah i need it
thx
ill try

It would be nice if it works. I just tried it by following your instructions but my viewsonic g tablet could not still see my connection from my n900. My iPhone can see it though. Please help

Originally Posted by Obikelv View Post
It would be nice if it works. I just tried it by following your instructions but my viewsonic g tablet could not still see my connection from my n900. My iPhone can see it though. Please help
I think you may have to disable WEP key. You may also need to select static IP connection on the android device. On the Tab to select static IP you go to wifi connections, press the options button and then select advanced. Not sure if it is the same for all android devices but i assume it would be or at least something similar. When I did these two additional steps it works perfectly and is incredibly fast. In fact faster than using the N900 itself.

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
it would of course be preferable for the n900 to support Infrastructure Host. This requires porting the 2.6.28 drivers for all the n900 h/ware (wifi/audio/etc) to 2.6.30 or backporting the 2.6.30(and onwards) 80211 wifi updated networking stack

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Thank you. This is what i have been waiting for.... thanks again,

bun

Originally Posted by Obikelv View Post
Out of interest, did you get this working?
Have got a G-tab on the way from Amazon and will need to tether to n900.
Thanks