Notices

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
data.modrana.org is down and there is an error in OSM Scout Server download manager code which prevents it to use backup server provided by @bomo. That part of the code was tested against a single server since I didn't have a luxury of map distribution via multiple servers. As a result, right now we cannot download the maps, sorry for inconvenience.

I'll re-write parts of Map Manager to support multiple servers, so we could be a bit more resistant to data.modrana.org downtime.
I've sent them an email, but it's indeed unlikely the will fix it during the weekend.

In any case, it's pretty strange the outages happen so often and especially before/during the weekend. One would thing they have found and fixed all the causes long ago during the previous outages.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I've sent them an email, but it's indeed unlikely the will fix it during the weekend.

In any case, it's pretty strange the outages happen so often and especially before/during the weekend. One would thing they have found and fixed all the causes long ago during the previous outages.
Good thing about it is that it gives me initiative to write new code to make the server more robust and use multiple providers. I am on the case and, hopefully, all will go smoothly and I can test against failed data.modrana.org

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
New release is out: 1.3.0

It adds support for multiple map data download servers. I managed to test it while data.modrana.org was down, but now you would have to wait till you can test it too (modrana server is up). Download servers are ordered and, on each OSM Scout Server start, the downloads start from data.modrana.org first and, on failure, move to @bomo's server. If anyone would like to join the club, please let me know. The implementation should support as many servers as we could have, I think.

Next, Valhalla's delayed start has been fixed that, when OSM Scout Server was started by systemd in response to routing request, led to an empty first reply (No route found). Now, routing and everything else should work immediately.

Translations have been pulled from Transifex and all the updated texts for Mapbox GL support should be there now. Thank you, translators.

Finally, I have added donations link as well. The donations are appreciated and are for my coding and time I spend on this and other SFOS projects. The donations platform is Liberapay which has rather transparent approach allowing us all to see the current sum of donations and their distribution in time. I think it maybe interesting for other developers and users to see such stats.

Enjoy using 1.3.0. I am planning to work through Mapbox GL import and styles, if nothing else comes up in between.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
I have followed this development for some time. Last week I thought, I give it a try.

First I had problems with downloading all information, once with the timeout, the others with spome unzip error. I think the 4th or 5th try got me alle information including map of germany. Is there a way to maybe download less information at a time?

Now I get errors when trying to use the server with both Modrana and Poor Maps. See attached image
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Amboss View Post
I have followed this development for some time. Last week I thought, I give it a try.

First I had problems with downloading all information, once with the timeout, the others with spome unzip error. I think the 4th or 5th try got me alle information including map of germany. Is there a way to maybe download less information at a time?

Now I get errors when trying to use the server with both Modrana and Poor Maps. See attached image
Looks like the SQLite database used by Mapnik is damaged. Germany is rather difficult case, its huge. I would suggest to get just a part of Germany you are interested in. Start small and progress from that. Note that Mapnik/Valhalla/Geocoder-NLP as well as MapboxGL backends glue all databases on fly. So, you may as well get parts of Germany.

To proceed, I suggest to delete Germany and then get new dataset for smaller part. Please let me know whether it helped.

Note that unzipping errors also suggest that something went wrong.

Finally, during this week we had malfunctioning of data.modrana.org and that led to waiting for downloads, I imagine.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
I just started with PoorMaps and OSM Scout Server and I like it!

In order to analyse my POI problem, I encountered the following issue:

The GitHub Readme says:
List of available POI types is available via
http://localhost:8553/v1/poi_types
But if I enter this URL in Firefox on my Sailfish X while OSM Scout Server is running, all I get is: "Error while listing available POI types"
In OSM Scout Server Event-Log, I see: "Database is not open, cannot list POI types"

Test-environment:
  • PoorMap can search for POI in OSM Scout Server
  • I have downloaded the map: "Europe / Germany / Bayern" (with the "Default" profile)
  • Languages is set to: "de"
  • I use OSM Scout Server 1.3.0-1 from Jolla Store

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ralooyar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ralooyar View Post
I just started with PoorMaps and OSM Scout Server and I like it!

In order to analyse my POI problem, I encountered the following issue:

The GitHub Readme says:

But if I enter this URL in Firefox on my Sailfish X while OSM Scout Server is running, all I get is: "Error while listing available POI types"
In OSM Scout Server Event-Log, I see: "Database is not open, cannot list POI types"

Test-environment:
  • PoorMap can search for POI in OSM Scout Server
  • I have downloaded the map: "Europe / Germany / Bayern" (with the "Default" profile)
  • Languages is set to: "de"
  • I use OSM Scout Server 1.3.0-1 from Jolla Store
Its a bug. I think you are the first user trying to access it, and this is after just a bit of more than a year of development. It has been broken for anyone not using the original libosmscout backend. To get the list for the default profile, you would have to open SQLite database that is in Maps folder, under geocoder-nlp/europe-germany-bayerngeonlp-primary.sqlite and run

open database:
Code:
sqlite3 geocoder-nlp/europe-germany-bayerngeonlp-primary.sqlite
in sqlite3 shell:
Code:
select name from type order by name;
The names of the types are searched for using substring search. Before that, your query is normalized by libpostal. So, when you search for "ATM", its first normalized to "atm" and later would hit "amenity_atm".

I am working now on Mapbox GL styles/import, when its finished I was planning to look into geocoding and update libpostal to newer version. But that may take some time - I may have to fix some yet unknown bugs of Mapbox GL widget before.

Last edited by rinigus; 2017-12-30 at 21:09. Reason: add command for opening database

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the workaround.

No need to hurry. I do not urgently need this functionality. I just stumbled upon this issue while playing with the POI data.

----

Other question on the topic POI:

Do you do some kind of tag merging, when creating the OSM Scout Server database? In OsmAnd I can search for POI with tag "amenity _library" or "amenity_police". In OSM Scout Server database libraries and police stations in my hometown can be found, but only by their name. And the type is listed by PoorMaps as "Building".

In my opinion, it would be helpful, to be able to explicitly search for "libraries" or "police stations" by tag, since if I am new in town, I don't know the name of the library. What do you think about this? Should I file a github issue?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ralooyar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ralooyar View Post
Thanks for the workaround.

No need to hurry. I do not urgently need this functionality. I just stumbled upon this issue while playing with the POI data.

----

Other question on the topic POI:

Do you do some kind of tag merging, when creating the OSM Scout Server database? In OsmAnd I can search for POI with tag "amenity _library" or "amenity_police". In OSM Scout Server database libraries and police stations in my hometown can be found, but only by their name. And the type is listed by PoorMaps as "Building".

In my opinion, it would be helpful, to be able to explicitly search for "libraries" or "police stations" by tag, since if I am new in town, I don't know the name of the library. What do you think about this? Should I file a github issue?
Yes, please file the issue. Since its geocoder component, please file it at https://github.com/rinigus/geocoder-nlp

As far as I remember, types are merged in the import and assigned as only one for POI. Hence the problem.

Keep digging into POIs and other components. When designing geocoder, I was mainly focused on getting results by name since that was really poor. Now it's time to look into search by type as in nearby search and make it work well. I suspect that the database will have to be redesigned, but let's see how.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Yes, please file the issue. Since its geocoder component, please file it at https://github.com/rinigus/geocoder-nlp
Done: https://github.com/rinigus/geocoder-nlp/issues/36

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ralooyar For This Useful Post:

Tags
geocoder, linux, offline maps, router, sailfish os, tiles