Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That makes it "important", "inevitable", "essential", bla bla bla, but not "core".
Because it's not important to you? No... without email, there was no participation, communication on the Internet for many. In fact - and I'm showing my age here - I remember usenet via trn as being the first time I interacted with people. Then email via pine. Then browsing the web via Mosaic. In that order... to me, a browser is not core. But it is to many, so I'll allow it. To you, email is not core... we disagree and it's not even the first thing I think of in regards to core usage of the Internet.

I could not find any official definition of a "core application" so maybe it is not the best term I could use but IMO a core application is something the OS cannot live without. Not necessarily something the user cannot live without.
Core is subjective, agreed. But going back to 1993, it's been at the core of usage for people. The new ways to use - such as your iOS example - is just... well, disregarding decades prior. What is important to you is not essentially a determiner of what's important to all. Same goes for me.

I disagree with you. Last I checked, that is allowed. Core applications for the Internet are steeped in communication. Email is one of many ways to do just that.

Admittedly Jolla's choice of core applications seems rather random. To this day I do not understand why you cannot unistall Tutorial.
That annoys me too.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I think we're straying off the topic a bit.

ggabriel, I have quite a different experience from you in relation to Jolla's support of IMAP, CalDAV, CardDAV but I'll leave that for another thread maybe.

On Android however, I can thoroughly recommend Marten Gajda's CalDAV/CardDAV sync apps, particularly SmoothSync. Utterly flawless support, native and they cost less than a semi-fancy coffee. Jolla should just get him to sort out their *DAV and sync cluster****.

And I'd kill for an email client as good as AquaMail on Sailfish.

Who cares about native support when you've got 3rd party developers like that?

Not that either of those are going to happen given Jolla's lacklustre progress and developer-hostile stance. I know Slush is more of a startup/investor kind of event but it was devoid of any really encouraging signs of product progress.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Because it's not important to you?
I mentioned three synonyms of "important" in the very post you quoted. I give up, I'm out of here.

PS1: It's not I who considered Email not a core app, it's Jolla. It was their decision to ship the phone without it.

PS2: If you weren't so preoccupied with latching on to trivia, you would have noticed that I was defending Jolla.

PS3: Sorry, that's all. Now I am definitely out of here.

Last edited by pichlo; 2015-11-18 at 21:13. Reason: Added PS1-3.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I mentioned three synonyms of "important" in the very post you quoted. I give up, I'm out of here.
Sigh.

I agree; this is going off-topic, so I'll stop it here.

My main concern is threefold:
  • Jolla has produced a platform, feel free to join. Or sit back and do nothing but critique everything. That's been going on for far too long.
  • What's important to whomever needs to be collective, not just all about some egocentric push to make your one voice heard more than others. Tired of that mindset.
  • The discussion of folks that have left the company has taken precedence over what can be done as a community to continue those efforts. Instead, the community will do just like MeeGo and Maemo; react once it becomes too late and then scramble to get something up in a very unorganized way. Tired of that too.
Jolla at Slush 2015 has an outreach program that is trying to harvest new ideas in growing markets.

And Jolla's email program sucks...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
[*]The discussion of folks that have left the company has taken precedence over what can be done as a community to continue those efforts. Instead, the community will do just like MeeGo and Maemo; react once it becomes too late and then scramble to get something up in a very unorganized way. Tired of that too.[/list]Jolla at Slush 2015 has an outreach program that is trying to harvest new ideas in growing markets.

And Jolla's email program sucks...

EDIT : problem is, will we still be able to contribute after this switch at the top?

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Jolla at Slush 2015 has an outreach program that is trying to harvest new ideas in growing markets.
Which is fine but if they want to harvest new ideas in growing markets, they shouldn't neglect to water their houseplants while away. Perhaps leaving the keys with their local community might be a good idea.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Which is fine but if they want to harvest new ideas in growing markets, they shouldn't neglect to water their houseplants while away. Perhaps leaving the keys with their local community might be a good idea.

The same way you leave your home door unlocked when you go on a vacation?

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Who's to say that's not the case? It seems as if their invitations to any input/ideas are still open to all. They're extending to Asia now.

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 759 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Poland
Is it possible to find somewhere video of Antti Saarnio speech from SLUSH 2015 ?

The Following User Says Thank You to atlochowski For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
If Jolla employees used their own product as their primary phone, the company would have folded long ago. For most of its life it's been about as useful as a brick from a business perspective. Not greatly better even now.

But then again, if they used their own product, then maybe some of the ridiculously long-lived absent features or bugs would have been remedied sooner and with some sense of urgency ...
It might be that your concept od a "business phone" is different from mine, maybe you are referring to "running a business" or "being an executive" or some other silly things as business use?

To me my "business" means my job, which is software development. I have been using the Jolla device as my only daily phone since it came out, which is about 2 years this month if I recall correctly. And I am doing fine.

The most important things to me from my business perspective are the following features: (sorted in a rough ordr of importance)
  • placing and receive phonecalls
  • sending and receiving SMS messages
  • alarm clock
  • working hours tracker
  • email
  • calendar
  • browser
  • ssh client
  • ability to automatically record phonecalls
  • notepad
  • voice recorder
  • local public transport application

The Jolla device has all of these, and is very good at the things it provides. I do not understand why some people bash the browser, email and calendar.
The browser opens all the pages I need, I have found that only video-filled pages do not work but I do not need youtube at work.
The email is barebones but works well.
The calendar is barebones but works well.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla bolla