Active Topics

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
I am quite happy with the updates to the Ovi Maps program.

But still I can not do the following:
- Get voice navigation
- Save addresses onto the phone

These are most important for me to have a good use of the phone, especially the second one. The search function in the Ovi Maps program is good, IF you have a internet connection, so I need to be able to save addresses.

For me the update moves the Ovi Maps program from a non-passing grade of 2.5/10 to a non-passing of 4.5/10.
Exactly! It's especially strange because when you look on the destination page, there's some city destinations like they were saved? I haven't been to Paris recently so it wasn't me!

Must be something in the "future". The problem I see it with Nokia's future play is that "Phone Cycles" are getting shorter. We really LOVE our phones. If it takes a year to get basic Maps functionality and he the phone functionality that is still needed, the EOL of the phone is already nearing. That would be an argument for not buying N900 and waiting for the next one IMHO.

Originally Posted by b666m View Post
you needed the internet connection to download the maps before the update.

if you download the maps on your pc and transfered it to your phone (see the "step by step" guide mentioned above) you can use the maps offline on your phone.

no internet connection required. just gps.
but my gps doesnt connects without GPRS or Wi-fi,,~
the 'antenna' icon keeps on blinking and it doesnt get fixed,
while if im connected to internet..it connects within 5 seconds!

I find that the GPS is useful for finding where you are. However, the routing is still terrible.

I used it to navigate through downtown Toronto and it was a huge headache. It didn't know that roads were "no left turn" and there wasn't any automatic rerouting if I went off course.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by somekeystrokes View Post
but my gps doesnt connects without GPRS or Wi-fi,,~
...!
More info here, to connect without wifi, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...868#post479868, thread #12

bun

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
More info here, to connect without wifi, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...868#post479868, thread #12

bun

If you do not have internet, Settings>Network positioning uncheck Enable
Post back on your experience

bun
After doing the above. The gps doesnt connect at all. The 'Antenna' icon keeps on blinking for ages. what do i do?
pls help. I reside in India,

Originally Posted by somekeystrokes View Post
After doing the above. The gps doesnt connect at all. The 'Antenna' icon keeps on blinking for ages. what do i do?
pls help. I reside in India,
We are still experimenting with the gps, so some of these tricks are by experience, I have NOT tried to turn off the antenna, but some post said it should be off when not with wifi. My own experience, wifi or not, it catches within less a minute...when eCoach turns on. I am in USA, and switch to supl.google.com:7276 is NECESSARY for me to catch. You are in India, I would NOT know where is the cell tower Maybe some of your Indian fellows can help, Sachin007?

I am have under 1 minute lock with my setup so far after the PR1.1 upgrade., I got it more than 20 times and hope it is going to stay that way.

Before PR1.1 upgrade, I used location to get lock. Now I am using eCoach to get lock. And wifi is NOT need, so far for 2 days already and gps is very behaving.

Open Ovi, turn on eCoach, click Rec, and my N900 will lock in under 1 minute. I hope I am not going change this statement.......Oh, the eCoach has to check the Auto Centering.
I have station changed to supl.google.com:7276 (I found out the 7276 is NOT necessary though)

I also notice, when N900 is into power saving mode, gps lock lost. It was a big deal in the past, as gps lock is so difficult to get. Now, no sweat, open ovi, turn on eCoach, bamp, it locked again.

Tomorrow, I will see whether eCoach is needed. I know, I am trying the gps like a witchcraft....

bun

So far, my experience with gps lock, in the last 24 hr, 8 locks, all under 90 seconds, And I am in US, internet or Agps is NOT required:

1) Settings>Location>Network postitioning check Enable and Location server: switch to "supl.google.com:7276"
2) Desktop menu>Add widget>Location

Open Ovi map, (step by step installation here, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=38872)
go to Location wideget, click the power button at the bottom, this turns it from grey to bright white.
Go back to Ovi, map, if you can see the sky, it locks in 60 second. Inside my house, it locked in 90 second.
None of the above requires Agps/internet.

Now, to save battery, when you are done with Ovi map, you can turn Ovi map off, and as long as Location stays, Ovi map locks in 1-2 minute, (depends on whether you are indoor or outdoor) upon hitting the power button at the bottom of Location.

A cold lock, sometimes will take 5 min, but after a cold lock, a warm lock always under 1 minute when the power button of location is pressed, occasionally it is instant.
Oh, I also found out Location tracks, and it moves too, surprise. Pic enclosed, see the red dot, it actually animated from small to large and track your location as long as map is there. I know, location means tracking, but, seeing it actually work excite me.

So far, this is the best way I can get a GPS lock and is within practical time use.

The bottomline, with Agps locking is fast, we all know that. Because NOT everyone has 3G/data plan, I think knowing how to get it work without internet is also interesting to me.

Please post your experience, so we can sort out the best way to get lock. Complain about a gedget you already bought gets you no where.

Edit: In the last 2 hours, I have turn on and off Ovi maps, I mean completely OFF, and start Ovi map, I did it 8X, they all locked within seconds upon hitting the power button of Location! This is the most reproducible experience I ever have with my N900 GPS. This is ALL done under NO internet. Internet is completely turned off during the tests.

bun
Attached Images

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-01-20 at 03:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Ovi maps 1.01

From here, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...649#post487649, thread #51

================================================== ===
to landmark your home address, here, Right lower corner arrow>Places>any business (for e.g. pizza city state) and click the icon i > return to your map. You just created a POI/landmark of that place, it stays even if you close and reopen Ovi maps

Yes, works only with business with the icon 'i'.

To create a landmark of your home address?
1) use the above method ONLY if you home address is a business
2) find any business, restaurant or anything next to your home, and mark it. DUH, you just created a landmark for your home address
================================================== ======
enjoy,

bun

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Ovi maps 1.01

From here, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...649#post487649, thread #51

================================================== ===
to landmark your home address, here, Right lower corner arrow>Places>any business (for e.g. pizza city state) and click the icon i > return to your map. You just created a POI/landmark of that place, it stays even if you close and reopen Ovi maps

Yes, works only with business with the icon 'i'.

To create a landmark of your home address?
1) use the above method ONLY if you home address is a business
2) find any business, restaurant or anything next to your home, and mark it. DUH, you just created a landmark for your home address
================================================== ======
enjoy,

bun

Ok, so how do you get rid of these bookmarks?

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Been on the road with Ovi Maps on the N900... oh how it sucks. In fact, the order of sucktitude is even greater than that of the original suckfest, WayFinder.

My tip... and what works for me is to use Maemo Mapper on my N810 BT tethered to the N900. The N900 never leaves my pocket. With the 3G connection now finding addy's with Maemo Mapper is a breeze.

Also, I have no on screen keyboard. This makes entering something as simple as a destination postal code with the slide out keyboard a giant PITA. Is there a setting I'm missing or is this a "feature"?

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-01-22 at 04:19.

Tags
gps, ovi maps, phone, poi, traveling