Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
There must be somethin wrong in my present setup on my n800: maybe
abiword 2.4.6-0maemo0 is incompatible with the gconv extensions, because all the
word files I tested are rendered with question marks only. I'll try now to downgrade
abiword and I'll report here. There's a red pill to swallow, though

Edit: swallowing the red pill allows to downgrade and the app seems to work and open word files, even if it seems that the risk of a "slow-scrolling-&-unresponsive" crash is real. Hope for a new improved version, hence. Being able to view-edit openoffice.org files would be great.

Last edited by debernardis; 2007-04-21 at 07:19.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
I noticed that there's an update for MaemoTeX available. I wonder if a port of LyX (http://www.lyx.org/) would be feasible now?

The reason: I'm beginning to think that a WYSIWYG word processor is not the smartest thing to use on a device with a small screen.

LyX renders text to fit the medium it's being displayed on: so your document will look different on screen than on paper, but that's okay really, because LyX is a typesetter, not a wordprocessor: it will do almost all of the formatting for the user. It's also quite good at outputting files that can be printed directly on other systems, so it circumvents the Nump's problem of not having a printing engine.

LyX does depend heavily on TeX and its assisting programs, so the big question is whether MeamoTeX has everything LyX needs.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
... I'm beginning to think that a WYSIWYG word processor is not the smartest thing to use on a device with a small screen.

I concur. I would think that if you have to rely on a PDA for presentation quality correspondence or text, you may have other issues like not having an office or word processor.

All a PDA should need for quick correspondence or jotting down text riffs for later pasting in a word processor is an input interface that doesn't require a lot of effort and a spell check.

Text riffs can be jotted down using any number of current N800 apps. However a cross device spell checker that can be accessed from common menu's like the soft keyboard is all that may be needed.

Hell, every forum I belong to has a pretty good web based word processor that pops up when I post. For that matter some even have a slow spell checker. However an on board dictionary would be a lot faster.

Originally Posted by dcarter View Post
2.2.7 works about the same on the N800 as it does on the 770, albeit a bit faster all around.

If you create a document from scratch, it does save it as rtf, however,
if you open an actual word document (one with the .doc designation), edit it on 2.2.7, and save it again, it DOES save as .doc, and not as rtf.

dcdcarter
would you mind outlining how you got 2.2.7 to work on the n800?

As i am havaing major stability issues wit the newest version

thanks

I added lyx to the apps wishlist on the maemo wiki. Lyx would be good.

Just to let all of you know, AbiWord on the 770 is a supported port (repository http://www.abisource.com/downloads/apt distribution mistral component user ) with 2.4.6 (latest stable) available. It will run, but poorly, on the N800. I'm looking into it and will hopefully have it fixed soon.

2.2.7 is _ancient_ and much earlier than the official Hildonization, I believe, too.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by megabyte405 View Post
Just to let all of you know, AbiWord on the 770 is a supported port (repository http://www.abisource.com/downloads/apt distribution mistral component user ) with 2.4.6 (latest stable) available. It will run, but poorly, on the N800. I'm looking into it and will hopefully have it fixed soon.

2.2.7 is _ancient_ and much earlier than the official Hildonization, I believe, too.
But 2.2.7 works (sort of), and 2.4.6 doesn't.

Originally Posted by megabyte405 View Post
I'm looking into it and will hopefully have it fixed soon.
Maybe the problem is that the gconv modules are not found by version 2.4.6? While 2.2.7, with all its bugs, can import a good deal of word files, 2.4.6 renders chars with question marks only.

I see your question mark issue - I didn't notice it before because I didn't try importing any word files. Does this happen with all imported file formats? If you could, please reprt this to bugzilla.abisource.com along with any other problems you may have found. FWIW, I think it loads ABW just fine, if I remember correctly (and a PC can convert to ABW with the normal desktop version).

It's not clear to me from reading this - has anyone gotten 2.4.6 to load a word file properly on a 770? on an N800? How? (What was installed, redpill or not, etc).

Thanks!

Kind of cross-posting, but it's a wv issue as far as not finding the proper gconv filter.