Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
Originally Posted by t3h View Post
If anyone wants to know how Basilisk II actually works, this is an interesting read: http://basilisk.cebix.net/TECH
I created a chm help file a few years ago that includes Christian Bauer's Basilisk II Technical Manual. It might be of interest to those who have never used Basilisk II (B2 for short) as the chm includes:

Basilisk II Introduction
What Is Basilisk II JIT?
Compiling the Linux Source Code for Basilisk II
How To Setup Basilisk II on Windows NT/2000
Basilisk II Troubleshooting FAQ
Basilisk II Windows port NAT-Router FAQ
Basilisk II Technical Manual
Basilisk II In Action (Large Screenshot)
Macintosh Emulation Links

Download: http://mes.emuunlim.com/projects/

I was just reading the text files (README, etc.) included in the 0.9 source tarball to refresh my memory of the old preference settings. You have tried configuring with --enable-xf86-dga already correct? The sheepnet driver for allowing Ethernet on Basilisk II used to be a bit tricky setting up. I'm going to see what I can do on Tuesday. It would be weird to use Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, AppleTalk, etc. on my N800.

BTW, that .desktop file you posted about in post #23 works great! Thanks t3h.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Sigh! - I couldn't get that word 4.2.1 cd, somebody offered more. Well, I'll find another, won't I?
EDIT: I'm waiting for that cd, from California. Counting the days...

Last edited by debernardis; 2008-02-16 at 16:50.

Debernardis:

Here are two recommendations for Mac s/w.

AppleWorks: Word processing, Drafting, Painting, and Spreadsheet programs intimately integrated. Simple and reliable at the expense of a vast array of features.

HyperCard: A powerful ADE. Easy to use. A humongus number of freeware applications.

I haven't tried Basilisk yet, so I don't know if they work. HyperCard may have some issues. The authors sometimes played fast and loose with memory management.

Let me know if you learn anything.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by OSEmuTech View Post
I was just reading the text files (README, etc.) included in the 0.9 source tarball to refresh my memory of the old preference settings. You have tried configuring with --enable-xf86-dga already correct? The sheepnet driver for allowing Ethernet on Basilisk II used to be a bit tricky setting up. I'm going to see what I can do on Tuesday. It would be weird to use Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, AppleTalk, etc. on my N800.

BTW, that .desktop file you posted about in post #23 works great! Thanks t3h.
You get a Mac going, and instantly want to fire up IE and Outlook ... Netscape Communicator is where it's (or was) at

Anyway, ITOS seems to be missing a few include files for DGA, unfortunately, in that regard, I shall see what I can do again.

Code:
checking for XF86DGAQueryExtension in -lXxf86dga... no
configure: warning: Could not find XFree86 DGA extension, ignoring --enable-xf86-dga.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by iontruo2 View Post
O.k. friend, have to hunt for it in my old storage. I have a newborn baby so time is a little limited. I may have a second original copy of OS8.

If not, is it possible to burn a duplicate of an OS cd? Never tried that before.
Congratulations . I don't mind waiting and if you can't find it, thanks anyway .

Could be, I don't think they had much copy protection :\

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Could be, I don't think they had much copy protection :\
Read: none (and they still don't, as restricting to Apple hardware isn't strictly copy-protection).

Anyway, in other news, I have fullscreen. More to follow, once I've cleaned up the code and bound it to F6.

Edit: done that, will upload screenshots when I get home.

Last edited by t3h; 2008-02-11 at 08:19.

Alright.

Here's a screenshot of it running in fullscreen mode, which can be activated with the fullscreen key.

The correct resolution for windowed mode is 720x420 pixels. For fullscreen it is (quite obviously) 800x480.

Here is a binary package of the executable, the .desktop file, and a shell script to install it (you will need to run it as root): http://gm.stackunderflow.com/maemo/b..._binary.tar.gz

Here is the source code (compiled including object files, and binary): http://gm.stackunderflow.com/maemo/b...emo_0.1.tar.gz. The changes are all in video_x.cpp and main_unix.cpp. The makefile has been edited, so save those masses of extra include paths somewhere if you need to run ./configure again.

Enjoy!

Next step: make alert boxes as well as console messages for errors, so it can be started from the GUI, and not just silently fail if something is wrong.

Next step after that: GUI config editor - either get the inbuilt one working, or get another going.

As for DGA, apparently the X server supports it, but the library for it, and the include files for it are all missing. Looks like we'll just have to do with SHM for the time being.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the sticky mouse problem...

Last edited by t3h; 2008-02-11 at 11:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to t3h For This Useful Post:
This looks interesting , Thanks!
I will definitely try it.

I think I've figured out the sticky mouse problem - it's simple. The tablet generates a seperate mouse moved message to the mouse down (stylus pressed) message, and the mouse down gets there before the mouse moved.

Fixing it... is less so.

Edit: Indeed, as that's not the issue.

It seems that the mouse moved isn't processed until after the mouse is down... though the events are being fired off in the right order.

Edit: Solved it

It actually was similar to what I initially thought. What happens is that when an event comes in (i.e. the stylus is moved), the mouse state is saved in a few variables - the location is updated and the button state is updated. 60 times a second, an interrupt fires, and this data is read from these variables and their current state is passed into the Mac, by patching where it reads from the hardware ADB controller. In a normal mouse, there is highly unlikely to be a mouse moved and mouse clicked event separated by less than 1/60th of a second with the mouse having moved a long way. But on a touchscreen, the two events fire at exactly the same time, given that there is no way to move the mouse without the pen being down.

So what happens is both the mouse position and button state are updated in one go - so it clicks and drags from the old location every time you put the pen in a new location.

What I made it do was to get the position of the pen down event, set it in the variables, and then clear a flag that is set by the next ADB interrupt (update). It then waits in a loop waiting for this flag to be set, meaning that the interrupt has fired, and then it registers the mouse button down, ensuring that both events happen seperately and sequentially in the right order. Hence no "sticky mouse"

The downside is that it delays things by 1/60th of a second, but it's now usable. And very much so.

New binary/sources to be posted soon (screenshot not required).

Binary: http://gm.stackunderflow.com/maemo/b...ary_0.2.tar.gz

Sources: http://gm.stackunderflow.com/maemo/b...emo_0.2.tar.gz

Last edited by t3h; 2008-02-11 at 14:06.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to t3h For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
Damn. I wish I could have called in sick at work today.

Thanks t3h! I'm looking forward to getting home tonight even more now.