Active Topics

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
I'm loving the idea of an FM transmitter on my N900, but the reality seems to be that no matter what frequency I choose, the output is hardly audible through my car stereo.

I've got both the media player's and the main system's volume at maximum and I'm using a channel that is dead static (hard to do in my area since even "empty" frequencies often can be picking up content from adjacent stations).

While this has helped a bit, I still have to hold my N900 right up to the radio (which somehow works better then holding it close to the car's antenna) to hear anything at all.

Any way to boost the output of this? I forgot my head phones today, but would plugging them in act as a transmitting antenna the same way they act as a receiving antenna for the FM radio app?

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Plugging the headphones will increase the singal I would think.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by God View Post
Plugging the headphones will increase the singal I would think.
FM-Transmitter doesn't work with the headphones plugged in.

Sorry, I got mixed up with receiver & transmitter.

FM Receiver: RDS, US/EU/Japan bands, Headphone cable for antenna

FM Transmitter: Internal antenna, 88.1 to 107.9MHz

And a video how to set it up with your car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n99S8...layer_embedded

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
wait, does that mean the n900 does not have a fm receiver? but i like to listen to radio

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
It depends on how well the inside of the vehicle is isolated from the car antenna. The higher class of the vehicle, the worse for the transmitter, in my experience. It works very well with a 1988 Suzuki Samurai and a 2008 Opel Corsa, but much worse in a 2007 Volvo S80.

People have already experienced similar issues with their dashboard mounted GPS navigation devices. If you have an IR-reflective windshield (windshield has literally metal embedded in it for a nice Faraday cage), you will not get a fix without an external antenna. The same might be true for the transmitter.

Originally Posted by msa View Post
wait, does that mean the n900 does not have a fm receiver? but i like to listen to radio
The headphone is the antenna for the receiver.

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
[QUOTE=Tomaszd;396020]It depends on how well the inside of the vehicle is isolated from the car antenna. The higher class of the vehicle, the worse for the transmitter.]

Well, I drive a Mercedes Benz E320 so I guess I'm screwed....
Thanks for the clarification!

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 498 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Poland
[QUOTE=cddiede;396048]
Originally Posted by Tomaszd View Post
It depends on how well the inside of the vehicle is isolated from the car antenna. The higher class of the vehicle, the worse for the transmitter.]

Well, I drive a Mercedes Benz E320 so I guess I'm screwed....
Thanks for the clarification!
Yes, that might be the cause of this issue. As a workaround, I propose buying something cheaper.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
You screwed up the quoting a bit
Good that I do not have to use the fm transmitter in my car since i do not own one.
Another question would still be interesting, is the transmitter draining the battery alot (like 1-2 hours and the battery's down) or is it ok-usage?

-Albert Camus
If this post was useful, please use the "Thanks"-button and I will do so, when you post something useful.

Tags
n900 fm transmitter week