[QUOTE=cddiede;396048]
Originally Posted by Tomaszd View Post
It depends on how well the inside of the vehicle is isolated from the car antenna. The higher class of the vehicle, the worse for the transmitter.]

Well, I drive a Mercedes Benz E320 so I guess I'm screwed....
Thanks for the clarification!
Yeah I have a BMW 5 series and the transmitter on the N97 did not work as well and I expect it will be the same when I get my N900 which is quite a shame.

Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
Maybe you could do something hackish like attach a piece of wire to the antenna then feed it inside the car - so that you effective have an internal antenna.

Of course it would be even neater if you did that to the antenna connection behind the car stereo. If your car has a removable stereo it should be possible.

I know under the right conditions even the cheap iPod transmitter I bought off eBay can easily drown out local stations so it shouldn't even be a problem if you drift in/out of range of REAL stations using the same frequency. Its all down to how well the stereo is picking up your transmitter vs the real one. Obviously if its struggling to begin with then the real station is going to easily be stronger.

If you really want it badly enough you could completely disconnect the external antenna in favour of rigging one internally in the car but then you might lose reception of real radio stations, as you would have the reverse problem.
Yes, and all of those options are so much better than just using audio out on the N900 and audio in on your car stereo, right?

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
I tried the transmitter in the car yesterday. It would not stay steady unless I put the N900 right next to the car stereo. The signal is weak and does not seem practical unless adjacent to a receiver.

The FM receiver is weak too, compared to the N-Gage.

FM transmitter gets a fail grade from me. I am not sure why even bother with this thing. In my Acura I can hardly get a lock on 90.1 and that is the best I can do. Some open frequencies like 88.1 does not even transmit anything.

In my house, having n900 next to my Onkyo -failure again. If I place next to the external antenna, I do get a lock but the quality is 1 on the scale from 1 to 10.

I am open to any pointers, but I would rather have a better GPS unit than FM transmitter

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 120 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
I guess it depends a lot on your car and location. In my 5-year-old Renault Clio and in a city not too crowded with radio stations, the FM transmitter in the N900 works like a charm for me. I really like this feature - much more practical than the FM transmitter add-on I had for my iPod that I would kept loosing.

On the other side, in Paris, where I'm living for a couple of months, the FM transmitter is of course hopeless. But then, there isn't the tiniest bit of free wave band left in this city.

mine is really strong. you wont get cd quality because you are transmitting through radio waves

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland
In my car the radio antenna is mounted on one of the rear glasses and and the radio easily finds the signal from N900, even when the phone is in my pocket.

Was on a test drive couple minutes ago. Played webradios with n900 and listened it from car radio. Great stuff! Finally this is possible!

@bAxon

positioning of the N900 in relation to the car radio antenna is essential. In my Chevy truck, there is line-of-sight from my dashboard to the antenna. Works pretty well and the signal is often strong enough to overcome radio station signals. In the Subaru Outback, the antenna is on the roof, so the roof of the car acts as a reflector or shield against the N900 radio. If I put the phone on the dashboard, it works better but still not good.

Too bad, the truck has XM/Sirus and the Subaru has FM and a tapedeck :P

I think it would be nice to rig up a switch, to cut in the N900 when I want that, therefore no external radio interference at all. Would a direct connection to the antenna port really work?

Posts: 171 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, uk
I removed my external car radio aerial (2001 VW Polo) and the FM Transmitter signal from my n900 has been much "cleaner" ever since using fm boost and the fm tx widget). Works fine all round Bristol (crowded fm area) and I don't need to retune when travelling... Of course I have no analogue car radio now but that's fine as I have Pure Digital Highway if I need radio and if I'm out of signal I'll just have to make do with music stored on the n900

Last edited by zail; 2010-03-30 at 22:52.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
I have used that on a Mazda 3 and a Lexus RX330, as long as I put the N900 near the dash, either using a phone/gps mount just above the dash or a silicon non-slip pad, the FM transmitter is working very well.
With a car charger and the FM Boost app, it served me well in 10+ hour road trip.

I'm suspecting many people might not have tried all the frequencies to find a good one. In Los Angeles which is jammed with radio stations, only 2 or 3 frequencies work well, once you got that it should work.

Tags
n900 fm transmitter week