Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I've often though the "magsafe" concept on a macbook/ibook etc is incomplete without mag-ether and mag-audio and mag-usb, so I'm pleased to see that someone's turned my thoughts into reality.

however, the best way to handle audio would be to set up A2DP and get bluetooth headset (or a Motorola S705 adaptor - I have one, works very well).

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Not the wires, I think they're fine; the contacts should overheat first. I'm just not sure how much current they can take; you could try it (as long as you pay attention during "burn-in"), worst case you catch it overheating and have to un-mod it. If you do things right, testing before you mod the case at all, it should be possible to revert painlessly.
Yeah, that sounds reasonable. I don't think I would go so far as to mod until I was sure it would work. Also, I was thinking about modding an existing brick and cord. Instead of opening the lappy, I would cut the cord in two and insert the breakaway component. It keeps it really simple and should have the same degree of effectiveness.

I'm thinking that, mag safe could be accomplished with a couple of cut rectangular magnets, and a fitting piece of metal, and some spring loaded contacts. Hmm....

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Well, "orthogonality" is definitely a term; without the o, not so much.
Damn you benson! Daaaamn yooou!!

Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
@Capt'n
Slight correction: though this thing is similar in purpose to the mag-safe connectors, they say on the web-site that it doesn't actually use magnets. It's the rubber ring that holds things in place.
Damn you nodbodysbuisness! Daaaamn yooou!!

YARR!
}:^)~

tpurro] n'tpa]

I have bad news to report. It's nothing about the actual product, which I can't review, since I still haven't received it. The Replug people did ship something out very quickly, they just shipped it to the wrong person. I got someone else's order and someone else's packing slip. Naturally I e-mailed them with my problem, but my e-mails went unanswered. I started thinking about contacting the credit card people to see if they could reverse the charge or something, when I remembered the packing slip: it had someone else's e-mail address on it. I e-mailed the other guy, and, sure enough, he had gotten my order. And, again, the Replug people had COMPLETELY IGNORED all of his e-mails.

Well, we've now sent each other our proper orders, and they should arrive in a week or two. To save money, we took the products out of the boxes and squeezed them into bubble envelopes. Once my order finally arrives, I'll post a little review here. I hope the product is good, but I'm not hopeful given how awful the customer service has been. If you want to order one, go ahead, but with these people... buyer beware!

I received the adapter, no thanks to the Replug people. I plugged in some headphones and plugged it into the N810 and was able to pull the end off, so that much does work. I've only done it once though, so I'll have to report back once I've done some more experiments.

I've played with the Replug adapter a little, and I have to say that it does perform pretty much as advertised. It took a little nerve to try it out with my N810, but I eventually tried setting it on the little half-inch ledge on my workout machine and giving the headphone cord a good yank down. It came apart, just as one would hope. I tried it again, and again the cord came off, with the N810 hardly moving from it's perch. It probably wouldn't work if the N810 were just laying on a flat table, but as long as there is anything holding the N810 back, the weight thing doesn't seem to be an issue. Overall, it seems like a pretty good product, just with abysmal customer service. It's rather a lot of money to protect an N810, but ultimately, the real reason that I bought it is to protect my N900 (once released, that is). It's the sort of product that will hopefully keep on working for decades even, as long as 3.5 mm jacks don't go out of style. Anyone who's thinking of buying one, just let me know if you have questions.

Tags
extras