Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
On a similar vibe: I don't get what the problem is for Ubuntu to use Wayland instead.
According to some IRC chat summary I found over the inet (between Mir devs and Wayland devs), they just don't have a clue WTF Wayland is

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
They don't want Wayland because of NIH (not invented here) syndrome.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Personally I think Wayland and Mir are both solutions to a problem that doesn't exist.

X.org's 'releases' are simply "Hey, we have moved forward enough to tell everyone we have a new version." They made Xorg modular so it no longer needs to all be pushed out as one big mess.

All adding Wayland and Mir to the mix do is make it one more thing for people to whine to nVidia and AMD and Intel because their display is all jacked.

I find it hilarious that so many of the supporters for Wayland are saying things like 'smooth window movement' and 'no network code to make it bloated'. Yet the developers have stated that there will be the network code (otherwise I'd stay away from Wayland altogether. I use X applications frequently enough that I need that support). Most of the reason behind choppy window movement is due to the GPUs themselves. You drag around a window in Windows, it still does screen redraw. Gnome-shell on my system moves so fast, I can't even really tell it's there... though that could be because I just finished playing Tomb Raider in 3D and my eyes are all weirding out...(highly recommend that though!)

Enough ranting.... for now...

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

The Following User Says Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
slaapliedje: It's worth watching this presentation: http://mirror.linux.org.au/linux.con...land_and_X.ogv

This looks like a positive development:

https://plus.google.com/116812394236...ts/SwC1CheXX65

Hopefully we'll contribute back not just an awesome display server in the form of Mir and an awesome desktop environment in the form of Unity, but also low-level improvements that can be used by Wayland compositors. I'm particularly excited about our engagements with NVIDIA and AMD; although it's early days, I'm hopeful we can get a solution for “but what about proprietary drivers?” not just for Mir, but for everyone.

Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
slaapliedje: It's worth watching this presentation: http://mirror.linux.org.au/linux.con...land_and_X.ogv
After watching that video, I think someone should send that to Mark Shuttleworth. Seriously. That video right there actually made me excited for Wayland.

Before I was more on the 'meh' side of things.

One thing he points out that I thought was interesting, was the compressed bitmaps. I always thought that old X11 (Motif/Lesstif) did that already. X over SSH was really fast way back when, but with GTK / Qt applications it's horribly slow. He explained that really well.

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

More details on Mir, Wayland and drivers:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/11388314...ts/QwMqCgC7c9G

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post: