OK, you probably got this PB, but here's what's going on:
  1. /dev/mmc0blk1 is mounted
  2. fdisk mmc, makes new partition table
  3. fdisk tries to make kernel re-read partition table, but fails because of A
  4. mkfs tries writing an e2fs on /dev/mmc0blk2, which should be a block special file referring to the second partition on the internal mmc.
  5. mkfs writes an e2fs on /dev/mmc0blk2, which, since it didn't previously exist, is created as a regular file
  6. EPIC FAIL!
Solution: check before creating filesystem:
Code:
if [ ! -b /dev/mmc0blk2 ] ; then
  echo "Epic fail detected on long range scanners. Proceeding heroically..."
fi

Last edited by Benson; 2008-04-29 at 16:57.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by smog View Post
I had problem on a freshly flashed n800 with the internal 8gb sdhc; got a no boot and the IT was locked at the Nokia logo.

I'm reflashing it and I will try it again and let you know if it's ok by editing or deleting this post.
my not so freshly flashed n800 with 8gb sd also had the prev out of mem problem. however, it did load boot loader, and made back up from flash minus
a working personal menu....

I see a reflash/reload in my future.....;-)
next time with a 2gb sd!!

[QUOTE=penguinbait;175792]I made a DEB that will clone the currently running OS to a 2GB CARD. It will also clone it to bigger/smaller cards but its not really setup for that.

1GB
1: 64MB FAT
2: 872GB EXT2 (BOOT)
3: 64MB SWAP

2GB
1: 128MB FAT
2: 1.75GB EXT2 (BOOT)
3: 128MB SWAP

4GB
1: 256MB FAT
2: 3.5GB EXT2 (BOOT)
3: 256MB SWAP

6GB
1: 384MB FAT
2: 5.255GB EXT2 (BOOT)
3: 384MB SWAP

8GB
1: 512MB FAT
2: 6.6GB EXT2 (BOOT)
3: 512MB SWAP

If things go smoothly with this, I will make some more DEB's with different layouts for different sizes.

QUOTE]

Where possible, would you make the DEB to read a configure file which allow one to set the size for 1, 2 and 3? This way, you do not have to track multiple versions of the DEB.

That seems a wierd way of going about it -- the hybrid of all-up deb and reading a config file.

Maybe just prompt? or indeed, detect the card size and branch accordingly?

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
UPDATED DEB to FAIL if mount fails, which will stop the out of memory problems.

You should not get that anymore!

UPDATED 13:50 EST

Let me know
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 228 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Ontario & Iceland
^too late, already installed now.

So what do you folks do with this primarily? Use it as a backup in case of a major blowup? Use it normally so to have a lot more space for installs? Use it to try out some possibly dangerous hacks and apps?

Anyway, it is now working fine. thanks again.

after 3 reflash :

I had to download your .deb then reboot.

install .deb ... then fail.... then reboot.

then reinstall .deb then reboot.

and it's ok now.

thank you

To be clear?

using new deb and fresh flash

you installed and it failed. you then reboted, and then updated the deb by installing it again. You then rebooted again and bootmenu was installed and your cloned partition was working?

Thanks,

Please guys, I need logs for failures...
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Posts: 159 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston, texas
This was the single worst thing I've done to my NIT so far.
After an extremely long install of about 20 minutes, the unit spontaneously rebooted and I got the bootmenu (like always). I booted from flash and I got a reverted desktop (back to before I clone my OS to SD earlier this year). I opened the file manager, looked at my 4gb MMC2 card and there was only 65mb available with no files on the card. Wonderful.

I supposed that I'm going to have reflash and lose months of work that I spent fine-tuning.

The log in app-manager, shows some error from an apt-get from back when I installed the Vagalume client (which would have been many months ago).

yes but won't boot from internal flash

and where is that log ?
What????

You can boot from SD but not from flash?

Log is in application manager (MENU)

Originally Posted by cashless View Post
This was the single worst thing I've done to my NIT so far.
After an extremely long install of about 20 minutes, the unit spontaneously rebooted and I got the bootmenu (like always). I booted from flash and I got a reverted desktop (back to before I clone my OS to SD earlier this year). I opened the file manager, looked at my 4gb MMC2 card and there was only 65mb available with no files on the card. Wonderful.

I supposed that I'm going to have reflash and lose months of work that I spent fine-tuning.

The log in app-manager, shows some error from an apt-get from back when I installed the Vagalume client (which would have been many months ago).

Sorry man, did you read the first post? Seriously I dont mean to shrug off the blame, but I said very clearly this may hose your system. It says testing.

Also you said "I got the bootmenu (like always)"

Was bootmenu already installed? Were you booted to flash when you installed it? What was on the SD card to begin with. It was supposed to wipe out the SD card, was that unclear to you?

Did it corrupt your flash install?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post:

Tags
deprecated