Notices

Poll: Would you like to see a "now playing" notification?
Poll Options
Would you like to see a "now playing" notification?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Few days ago I started a thread in the multimedia section about a possibility to create a "now playing" app. The 240 views it got I think was a sign of that not enough people check the multimedia section. So (I hope this isn't spamming) I will post the same thing here so that people will see it.

Basically I'd like to know if anybody would be capable of making an app (or plugin or whatever) that would show up when your media player changes songs while in the background. I would imagine that it should/could be something similar to those SMS/email notifications you see when you get new messages. Or it could be similar to that gear image that slides down when you press an empty spot in the desktop.

I don't have the knowledge of how to do this. My N900 is used for internet browsing and in-car musicplayer. But I would suspect that this might be pretty easy thing to do for someone with the knowhow. And also, is there other users who would like something like this?

So that we dont only get the "gimme gimme" and "me me me" replies and that the replies would be about the making of this thing (optimistic as I am) I made a poll.

Last edited by mottis; 2010-02-26 at 12:28.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 188 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Whats wrong with Mediaplayer desktop widget thats part of the standard Mediaplayer?

cell-modem-ui: home | packages - status: 0.5.1-1 in Extras
nowplayingd: home | packages - status: 0.1-2 in extras-devel
custom-pwkmenu: home - no packages yet.

Originally Posted by tuminoid View Post
Whats wrong with Mediaplayer desktop widget thats part of the standard Mediaplayer?
Nothing. But the basic scenario that this would come in handy is that when you are surfing the www you don't have to do anything to see what that new song that just started is. It just pops up in the upper corner just like those SMS notifications.. That's where this would be sweet..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mottis View Post
Nothing. But the basic scenario that this would come in handy is that when you are surfing the www you don't have to do anything to see what that new song that just started is. It just pops up in the upper corner just like those SMS notifications.. That's where this would be sweet..
Oh I misunderstood your request. The app is definitely doable, I could take a look at it when I have time, it sounds like a very reasonable app, if its not done yet.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tuminoid For This Useful Post:
Would be nice to have a small daemon that does this.

This app might also be useful because when you are tuned into a specific internet radio station and then switch to the "internet radio stations" page of the media media player, you can no longer see what song is playing (or, at least as far as I can tell). And you can't switch back to the specific station without disconnecting and reconnecting to it.

Tuminoid, thanks very much for taking a look into a potential app for this.

and ofcourse it should act as a shortcut to the player. That way you will quickly skip those crappy songs that with multiple gb:s of music always gets into the player (and weirdly often ends up as the next song when using shuffle)

Another thing I was thinking of is an app that takes the info sent over FM transmitter and write that automagically into your IM status message (A Now playing app in short)

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Something like this?

Code is here: http://slexy.org/view/s2FoAoHW5M

(gcc mafw.c `pkg-config --cflags --libs hildon-notify glib-2.0 mafw mafw-shared` -Wall)

Because there are so many things wrong with it, I won't insult people by uploading a binary. I up'ed the shitty code in hope that someone who actually knows what they're doing can improve it and fix its problems.

On the plus side, it does show the name and artist of the song if it is properly tagged and pressing the notification does bring up the media player. Those are probably the only good points...

I'd probably like to see this, too, but for a more nostalgic reason: My W810i used to do this.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-02-27 at 10:03.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Something like this?

Code is here: http://slexy.org/view/s2FoAoHW5M

(gcc mafw.c `pkg-config --cflags --libs hildon-notify glib-2.0 mafw mafw-shared` -Wall)

Because there are so many things wrong with it, I won't insult people by uploading a binary. I up'ed the shitty code in hope that someone who actually knows what they're doing can improve it and fix its problems.

On the plus side, it does show the name and artist of the song if it is properly tagged and pressing the notification does bring up the media player. Those are probably the only good points...

I'd probably like to see this, too, but for a more nostalgic reason: My W810i used to do this.
I'm working on a package for this and hoping I can find spare time to put a package to -devel today/tomorrow/monday at latest. Let me know Faheem if you're working on your code still, I'd hate to waste my/your time to do same thing over again.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tuminoid For This Useful Post: