Active Topics

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ wisconsin
I was able to do things up to the point of installing the three packages. Thats when the device told me that the packages weren't compatible. So as I stated in the beginning. Been there tried it. And to satisfy curiosity. I'm running 5.2008.43-7 for the os version. I also double and triple checked what I typed in and same result each and everytime. Which either leaves the opportunity to put the nokia on the back burner to simmer for a while and go onto an android powered device.

Originally Posted by gitsjunkie View Post
I was able to do things up to the point of installing the three packages. Thats when the device told me that the packages weren't compatible.
Please do the installation with dpkg, on the command line, as it says in the wiki.

However the instructions seem a bit incomplete. At a minimum you will also need to install gcc, cpp and binutils in order to compile anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Hey everybody. I did try those tricks again. And tried to install them through the package manager and once again the same response. Incompatable packages. I did go through the instructions of the main thread. Though the packages were copied but not installed. It said something along the lines of dpkg dependencies not being met. And I also relized that I should have copied down what answer i got back in the terminal. I will do that next time. Though I'm certain not all packages installed. But maybe one of the packages did install and is there a way for me to see which one has installed.

Ok gents and ladies. i went in for round two and still no go. but this time I will list here an exact answer as to what the device has said for the dpkg part.

i entered this:
dpkg -i gcc-3.4_3.4.4cs2005q3.2-5.osso8_armel.deb libc6-dev_2.5.0-1osso10_armel.deb linux-kernel-headers/linux-kernel-headers_2.6.16.osso11-1_armel.deb

The n810 said:
dpkg: error processing gcc-3.4_3.4.4cs2005q3.2-5.osso8_armel.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: no such file or directory
(reading database ... 18662 files and directories currently installed.)
preparing to replace libc6-dev_2.5.0-1osso10 (using libc6-dev_2.5.0-1osso10_armel.deb) ...
unpacking replacement libc6-dev ...
dpkg: error processing linux-kernel-headers/linux-kernel-headers_2.6.16.osso11-1_armel.deb (--install):
dpkg: error processing linux-kernel-headers/linux-kernel-headers_2.6.16.osso11-1_armel.deb (--install):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libc6-dev:
libc6-dev depends on linux-kernel-headers; however;
package linux-kernel-headers is not installed.
dpkg: error processing libc6-dev (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
errors were encountered while processing:
gcc-3.4_3.4.4cs2005q3.2-5.osso8_armel.deb
linux-kernel-headers/linux-kernel-headers_2.6.16.osso11-1_armel.deb
libc6-dev
/home/user #

my hypothesis is that libc6-dev did install but unconfigured and the other two didn't.

which leaves to wonder why? i put this question to your superlative deductive reasoning to figure this out. and once again as I am always saying. And thats many THANX

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Ok gents and ladies. i went in for round two and still no go. but this time I will list here an exact answer as to what the device has said for the dpkg part.

i entered this:
dpkg -i gcc-3.4_3.4.4cs2005q3.2-5.osso8_armel.deb libc6-dev_2.5.0-1osso10_armel.deb linux-kernel-headers/linux-kernel-headers_2.6.16.osso11-1_armel.deb

The n810 said:
dpkg: error processing gcc-3.4_3.4.4cs2005q3.2-5.osso8_armel.deb (--install):
(reading database ... 18662 files and directories currently installed.)
preparing to replace libc6-dev_2.5.0-1osso10 (using libc6-dev_2.5.0-1osso10_armel.deb) ...
unpacking replacement libc6-dev ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libc6-dev:
libc6-dev depends on linux-kernel-headers; however;
package linux-kernel-headers is not installed.

dpkg: error processing libc6-dev (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
errors were encountered while processing:
gcc-3.4_3.4.4cs2005q3.2-5.osso8_armel.deb
linux-kernel-headers/linux-kernel-headers_2.6.16.osso11-1_armel.deb
libc6-dev
/home/user #

my hypothesis is that libc6-dev did install but unconfigured and the other two didn't.

which leaves to wonder why? i put this question to your superlative deductive reasoning to figure this out. and once again as I am always saying. And thats many THANX
No need of superlative deductive reasoning, just being able to read.
Just type the package names with their paths right. Use autocompletion to be sure.

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Hello everyone. Once again I had tried your advice. And as par for the course your wisdom was helpful. And this time maacruz offered a golden nugget of advice. And you were right. I had to look closer at the package names of what I had versus the package names in the thread. Upon realizing that. I had installed the linux kernel headers file first followed by libc6 and lastly libgcc1_3.4.4. And after each one. I waited for a minute to be scolded by my n810. That didn't happen. So I'm assuming they installed. So in that case. I will take lma advice a bit further and install the packages that he mentioned earlier. To end this long winded appreciation festival. I will give thanks were its deserved. Thanks to you jmart, lma, and maacruz for the help. And one more humble question. How do I write and compile C code in x terminal? And obviuosly there will be an answer in unison to read the beginning thread. I did and still got error messages.

Hello everyone. Once again I had tried your advice. And as par for the course your wisdom was helpful. And this time maacruz offered a golden nugget of advice. And you were right. I had to look closer at the package names of what I had versus the package names in the thread. Upon realizing that. I had installed the linux kernel headers file first followed by libc6 and lastly libgcc1_3.4.4. And after each one. I waited for a minute to be scolded by my n810. That didn't happen. So I'm assuming they installed. So in that case. I will take lma advice a bit further and install the packages that he mentioned earlier. To end this long winded appreciation festival. I will give thanks were its deserved. Thanks to you jmart, lma, and maacruz for the help. And one more humble question. How do I write and compile C code in x terminal? And obviuosly there will be an answer in unison to read the beginning thread. I did and still got error messages.
As lma already said, you need to install the gcc compiler, the cpp preprocessor and binutils
The fast way:
Code:
apt-get install gcc cpp binutils
If that doesn't work, make sure you add the sdk repository and try again.
Then write your code in whatever text editor you prefer in xterm (busybox's vi, vim, nano) or GUI (geany, leafpad, pygtkeditor) and compile it as usual ("cc -o myprogram myprogram.c")

Maacruz and lma once again nailed the landing and scoring a 10. Thats almost exactly what I had done. It did take a little bit of time to relize what you had suggested just now. I actualy was thinking about going that route after I read your reply. So I copied the three remaining files that lma suggested to the memory card and installed them through the terminal using the dpkg -i method and thats as far as I got. Because I was at work at the time and the battery conked out. I was also wondering about how I would compile some code. And as you just suggested to use vi or vim. Thats another one I need to learn how to use. I found a couple pdfs to read for that. But still I believe you all have gotten me over all the hurdles for now. So back to reading pdfs and other threads for more clues. And still gratuitous thanx to all of you for the help. From time to time I'll interject a thought here and there or a question. So THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all the help.

update: I am still very grateful for the help but I have a final snag.i installed leafpad to my n810. and set up a simple hello world program for funs. but I get this for an answer after typing in what you shown me to compile.

i typed in
gcc-3.4 -o ididit ididit.c

the answer was
gcc-3.4: ididit.c: no such file or directory
gcc-3.4:no input files

I'm guessing by the answer that I don't have the ididit text file in the correct directory. Or I'm at a loss. but then if there is a thread to direct me to. I'll gladly read it and try it as well. Or a simple answer will suffice. maacruz are you by chance a computer programmer. The reasoning behind my curiosity is to have some one who is knowledgeable in the C language to bounce ideas off of.

Last edited by gitsjunkie; 2011-08-19 at 07:26.

I'm guessing by the answer that I don't have the ididit text file in the correct directory.
That is correct. Probably it is saved under ~/MyDocs
As a maemo peculiarity, the N810 folder in the file manager is ~/MyDocs and the Documents, Images... subfolders are ~/MyDocs/.images ~/MyDocs/.documents ....
Take that into account when using GUI programs.
Since you seem to have a very shallow knowledge of the system and you want to dive deeper, I suggest you to read some of the books (guides) in the Linux Documentation Project (http://tldp.org): "Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide", "Bash guide for beginners", "The Linux Programmer's Guide". The wiki and developers section of maemo.org contains more about maemo specifics.
maacruz are you by chance a computer programmer. The reasoning behind my curiosity is to have some one who is knowledgeable in the C language to bounce ideas off of.
No, I'm not, and I hate C syntax so I'm not the best choice to answer questions about C

Last edited by maacruz; 2011-08-19 at 10:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Once again you have given me an excellent resource to learn from and will continue to read some more and learn along the way. And oh well to the sounding board. And still thanks to all that helped. This site is quite the decent and helpful place to get advice. Though I had scratched the surface on reading threads. I'll read a bunch more.

Tags
nokia n800, volume