Notices

Is it possible to add something like "status of VPN connection" to status-menu? Now you can't see, if the connection is established or not (on the desktop I mean).

Last edited by Quasar; 2010-12-10 at 08:14.

This may be off-topic. But is it possible to have two VPN connections running on the N900? I'll describe why first. Currently I'm debating should I use a free OpenVPN provider or just run two of my own. Why two? Well one is at my parents' home and the other is at the apartment. At any time, one or both may be offline. I'd like to have the N900 try to connect to either one of them.

Reason why I want to use OpenVPN (retrieval and accessing it remotely in case it gets misplaced to delete files). Since it's on T-Mobile USA and behind a NAT I can't access it directly with SSH. I could try reverse SSH though (I suppose if I figured how to set it up).

Sorry if it's off-topic.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
This may be off-topic. But is it possible to have two VPN connections running on the N900?
It is possible to have two openvpn connections open at the same time, no problem. If I understood correctly you wish have them open always automatically. It is possible too, but not with OpenVPN Applet, because it doesn't support "always on" connections from the boot you'll need to start them manually.

Originally Posted by Quasar View Post
Is it possible to add something like "status of VPN connection" to status-menu? Now you can't see, if the connection is established or not (on the desktop I mean).
There is little icon in status area when openvpn is active. But it doesn't tell if connection is really established or is it still trying to connect.

Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
There is little icon in status area when openvpn is active. But it doesn't tell if connection is really established or is it still trying to connect.
Yes, I know. But I would like to see if connection established is or not.

Sorry for my English..

It is not too hard to add "connecting" icon. I'll see if there is enough small fixes to made for a new release.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
@Mikkov,

Is it possible to execute the applet from command-line? The reason i want to do this is that i want to start openvpn before i connect to wifi.

I was going to script something in /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/ but didnt want to use the openvpn script init script since it logs to syslog by default. With the applet it is easier to check the status. It will be awesome if it were possible to start and stop applet via command-line.

Thanks

Originally Posted by rajil.s View Post
Is it possible to execute the applet from command-line?
There used to be very simple text mode ui, but it wasn't exactly command line interface and it wouldn't work the you are hoping for. So the answer is no.

hi guys i just installed openvpn-applet to n900 but it seems like it doesn't get an local ip and i cant ping the other end but on my desktop machine for same configuration file it get connected and i get an IP from server. on n900 it shows that i have connected and even from server side without an issue but no ip adress. To make sure i tryed with my DNS records whether there is an entry, no luck so far.... help me over here

Originally Posted by gochito View Post
Done! ... Created the password file in the /etc/openvpn directory...

included askpass /etc/openvpn/password

in my .conf file and Voila! Working as a charm!

Thanks a lot!
Hi, could you publish the syntax of your config-file to compare mine with it, please? I am getting a socket.connect() failed thingy now, I must have messed it up.

cheers!

EDIT:

I have been experimenting around with stuff like

Code:
auth-user-pass /etc/openvpn/password.txt via-file
and
Code:
askpass /etc/openvpn/password.txt
and similar things, but I realize I am unfamiliar with the syntax and reading up on it is not as easy as I thought. The password.txt file contains user and password blank delimited and just for one person. I am not concerned about putting these bits on my N900, as I am using it only scarcely.

I might add, that if I leave OpenVPN as it is and edit in the user/pass combination with my VPN provider, it works flawless. Just the given pass and user combination is hellishly stupid to edit in every time.

Last edited by cct; 2011-05-23 at 15:28.