Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
so, ive been thinking about this for a while now but i dont know if it could be done:
could that 256mb of fast memory be freed up by moving the whole system somehow to emmc and than used as a swap faster than any sd card?

Last edited by GrimyHR; 2012-04-07 at 18:01.

Moving maemo to EMMC? Should be possible. But if you have to ask, not too easy...

could that 256mb of fast memory be [...] used as a swap faster than any sd card?
If I remember correctly, the N950 somehow does that. But the NAND does not employ wear leveling, so by common sense this would lead to some shorter lifetime at least.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=59374

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
And to add to qwazix's useful post, you would want to have a class 10 SD card so you can have it run fast!

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=59374
will look at this tomorow when i sober up to see if i can actually format the original rootfs on nand when i do this or i must keep it

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
The root fs scripts suck - they still depend on the nand to boot!

The ideal solution is to include the omap-hsmmc and ext4 modules in kernel (and change cmdline) then load it using flasher or u-boot.