Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by quingu View Post
sorry for bringing this up yet again. I am still unsure what kind of usb micro adapter i would need that doesn't involve power injection. what about this one? Description says its a "Micro-A" plug. Yet it looks different than the plug of the n810 adapter you linked (which looks more like a micro-b plug).

qouth the wikipedia:

excuse my stupidity. I can't make sense of this. n810 plugs look like micro-b, yet it would be logical to use micro-a.

Help please!
The plug I linked to on ebay has a micro type B plug on one end and a type A receptacle on the other to plug in normal USB devices (mouse, keyboard, USB sticks, hubs, etc...). The plug is an OTG adapter so it will switch the N810 into host mode. The plug you linked to from Amazon are just gender benders - male to female. It will not put the device into hose mode and a software switch solution would be necessary.

Injection is necessary regardless of cable used if your device requires more power than the device can deliver. The NXXX do not provide enough power to power some USB sticks, harddrives, etc... so you'll need to provide the power. If the device is in host mode you could use a powered hub.

The Following User Says Thank You to theflew For This Useful Post:
Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Nokia claims 2-4 days in their spec sheet.*

*This number is, of course, based on pre-release hardware and software and is subject to change.
Nope, that's the always online time, it probably means that it's updating your widgets and stuff trough 3g.

Also, is the USB Host port confirmed?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
Also, is the USB Host port confirmed?
As I've said before, the port is USB OTG. All of the hardware is there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by theflew View Post

Injection is necessary regardless of cable used if your device requires more power than the device can deliver. The NXXX do not provide enough power to power some USB sticks, harddrives, etc... so you'll need to provide the power. If the device is in host mode you could use a powered hub.
Something like this looks like it would be pretty handy:
http://www.amazon.com/Cyberpower-CP-.../ref=de_a_smtd

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
I can testify that you get easily more than 2 days with device idle (and no open app misbehaving). Screen is a drainer, so all use consumes a lot, but it easily lasts a full working day of normal use.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
konttori: can you elaborate a bit more on 'full working day of normal use'?

Approximately how many hours of the following activities for the day:
- voice call
- use of IM
- use of web
- use of email
- use of apps (what kind?)
- radio condition (3g/wifi/bt)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
On the Nokia website, if you compare the N900 with another mobile by clicking on "Compare", you see.... you see...... :
Display colors: Up to 16 million colours

Finally, if there is no error on the website...

Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Anybody know about the compass? Anybody... anybody? lol

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
joshua.maverick:

There's no compass.

Anyone who said otherwise was not a trustworthy source, so, in the absence of any trustworthy information, they're wrong. And if there is, Nokia hasn't told anyone about it, nor has it turned up in any of the source code released by Nokia so far. If the N900 had a compass, why would Nokia keep it a secret?

Why do you keep asking?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
ysss:

Battery life is one thing that the Maemo people have said that they're actively working on in these last few weeks before the device goes on sale. So any detailed numbers anyone could give you would be wrong by the time the device goes on sale.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: