Notices

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United States - Saudi Arabia
I found this application @ http://my-maemo.com/software/applica...to=1094&faq=45 which is helpful to show the music data, caller ID, and SMS.

Did anybody try it?

Display tags, call ID, SMS on your radio system.

This project uses the FM Transmitter of the N900 to send more data to the car radio system over RDS. It can display music tags from N900 player, incoming caller ID, or full SMS message text on the car radio display.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Love the idea, especially SMS appearing However the comments on the app do not look too good. Will wait a bit for a later release.

Great spot

Idea very good but did get to see only STOP message on radio headunit, no caller id or song name.

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United States - Saudi Arabia
The application is buggy. I got the artiest and the song name, but did not work well. Sometimes the application send RDS information late to my Radio!!

Still a great idea!!

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Munich, Germany
I wonder if it's possible to also send some sort of navigational output via RDS to your car's radio. I haven't tried OVI maps (on any phone) yet, but I guess there will be some sort of guidance text along with the voice prompts.
Have no idea though on how responsive RDS would be in "time-critical" navigational terms. Just a thought...

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
RDS PS (eight character field for station name) is not very responsive usually, depending on the car radio (dynamic PS text violates the RDS specification).
RDS RT (64 character field for frequently changing dynamic text) ought to be very responsive though, but not supported by many car radios.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
It is worth noting that the latest pr1.1 release included a change to RDS. It now transmist the track information rather than just "Nokia". Not found it too usefull due to the limitations of the RDS on my cra head unit.
John

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
I will test it in the next days, so far it sounds good.

isnt it possible for the fmtx to make the radio switch over to the traffic announcement when you have an incoming call ? that way no matter what frequency your tuned into you can use the phone as a hands free device , not just if your tuned in and listening to your own music on your n900

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by hollow View Post
isnt it possible for the fmtx to make the radio switch over to the traffic announcement when you have an incoming call ? that way no matter what frequency your tuned into you can use the phone as a hands free device , not just if your tuned in and listening to your own music on your n900
Sounds like a good idea

I tested it with my car radio today and was quite disappointed, with the application it simply displays "RDS" on the radio and driver display. I use a Mercedes APS 30 Navi which got RDS support.

The widget displayed "Music tags / Call status -> ON", any idea?