Active Topics

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
My wife asked me if there was an app to block a phone number on her N9... we've been getting 1 ring calls (they hang up before you can answer) from Haiti for several months, and they're getting more and more annoying (I have a small child that is frequently woken up by these rude-hour calls). Occasionally we get text messages in Creole from them too... but responses to them are blocked. They're obviously trying to get someone to call them back, and have the wrong number.

I started looking into it and found a couple apps that could do it (and a couple problems that prompted another thread I'm starting), but I started thinking - I'd rather they get the point that they obviously have the wrong number (something they've yet to figure out).

So... what I'm trying to find is an app that can auto-answer calls from specific numbers and play a message for them.
I don't want it to auto-answer in the normal sense (so they can hear what's going on in my house).

Are there any apps that can do this?
If not... where's a good place to start with scripting something like this up? It seems the N900 is a lot easer to get into in this respect (but it could be that I've been away from this community for a while too).

Thank you very much for any pointers you might be able to offer!

The Following User Says Thank You to glabifrons For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
It is possible they do not have a wrong number, but rather are trying to get you to call the number.

It is one of the olde phone scams, the number you'll call if tripped is one of overseas high-rate service calls, once you call them you will be charged $50 a call or something like that.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
I remember an app named Firewall+ Pro (it's paid app in the Store) that should be able to do black/whitelisting.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
I saw the firewall+pro in warehouse. Yoy might wanna try it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to breakpointz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
What about this one?
https://openrepos.net/content/cepiperez/callblocker

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
It is one of the olde phone scams
Yeah, I used to work at Motorla Paging Products back when pagers were hot... a lot of my coworkers got pages from numbers in the islands - not sure if Haiti was one of 'em, but we were all warned about calling back anything from a short list of area codes for this reason.
That has definitely crossed our minds as well, but thank you for mentioning it as others may not be aware (and if this is starting up again... ugh).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glabifrons For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the two suggestions from the 3 people above... those are actually the ones I came across (I should've specified in my post).
I tried to install the free one, but came up with an error (will have to try again and post another thread about that one).

I was really hoping to be able to script something up to play a message for these people.
1. If they are so dense as to be calling for months, they're not going to get it until they hear a response (and start getting charged for the calls since it'll make a connection before they hang up).
2, If it is a scam, maybe once they start getting the charges for the calls, they'll stop calling.

Thanks again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glabifrons For This Useful Post: