Active Topics

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by daveb70 View Post
I LOL'ed while eating a BK big fish and nearly choked. Thanks a lot ZJ!

Sorry, the usual thanks just didn't suffice. And I agree about your analysts statement. The only thing worse is a financial analyst.
Click "Thanks" anyways, dammit. ;P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
If there's anything I've learned about analysts, it's that they are full of **** 90% of the time.
Hey! I'm full of it 95% of the time. Don't shortchange this analyst's BS!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 149 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
T-mobile? Gawd, I hope not!
They are pathological about hobbling everything!

The HipTop/SideKick started out a nice device with a strong developer network... they locked it down so you had to be a published developer to get a key to install software that they didn't have in their "store"... which absolutely blows. There were a ton of apps on the (former) SideKick Developer Network site that I wanted, and I didn't care if they were "beta" or not. In case it doesn't stand out... if you can't test the app on your device, you can't release it, so when they changed the rules for becoming a developer, they essentially shut any new devs out.

Now look at what they did with the G1... which I would absolutely love to have, but they're locking down a device that you're not supposed to be able to lock down.
I was thinking about paying full retail for one and switching to AT&T, but I've read that they even hobbled the radio so you can't use the G1 on AT&T's frequencies! (I sincerely hope what I read was bull)
In case you're wondering... I like the G1's keyboard. None of the other Androids have anything close. Heck, I'd rank that keyboard way above the one on the N900 (though I think I'd prefer the Nokia if the price were more realistic).

I'm afraid of what they'll do to this thing when they get their greedy mits on it.

Disclosure: I've owned the SideKick (1) Color and SideKick 2 for about 6 years, and if it weren't for T-Mobile, I would probably have bought the SK3 when it came out.
They really do have a F*(# the customer attitude.

(if you want specifics, I can write a book)

The Following User Says Thank You to glabifrons For This Useful Post:
Posts: 37 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Oregon
Well I hope it is wrong but the N97 and other Nokias phones have passed FCC with 3g bands for at&t yet they were not sold through or subsidized by them. I am going to get it regardless unless the warranty is not valid here.

glabifrons
T-Mobile didn't hobble the G1 any more than At&t hobbled the iphone by not including T-mobile 3g bands on it. Thats just how its done here

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ NYC, NY
Originally Posted by Team C View Post
glabifrons
T-Mobile didn't hobble the G1 any more than At&t hobbled the iphone by not including T-mobile 3g bands on it. Thats just how its done here
Aw, let's just continue to whine that the carrier subsidized phone is "hobbled" to ... the carrier.

Choke up the cash for the non-carrier-subsidized version, and you don't get the lock down (or, pay off the phone, and get the unlock code ...).

I left Verizon so I /could/ get a non-carrier phone -- and have been glad to pay the extra $$ ever since.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by glabifrons View Post
T-mobile? Gawd, I hope not!
They are pathological about hobbling everything!

The HipTop/SideKick started out a nice device with a strong developer network... they locked it down so you had to be a published developer to get a key to install software that they didn't have in their "store"... which absolutely blows. There were a ton of apps on the (former) SideKick Developer Network site that I wanted, and I didn't care if they were "beta" or not. In case it doesn't stand out... if you can't test the app on your device, you can't release it, so when they changed the rules for becoming a developer, they essentially shut any new devs out.

Now look at what they did with the G1... which I would absolutely love to have, but they're locking down a device that you're not supposed to be able to lock down.
I was thinking about paying full retail for one and switching to AT&T, but I've read that they even hobbled the radio so you can't use the G1 on AT&T's frequencies! (I sincerely hope what I read was bull)
In case you're wondering... I like the G1's keyboard. None of the other Androids have anything close. Heck, I'd rank that keyboard way above the one on the N900 (though I think I'd prefer the Nokia if the price were more realistic).

I'm afraid of what they'll do to this thing when they get their greedy mits on it.

Disclosure: I've owned the SideKick (1) Color and SideKick 2 for about 6 years, and if it weren't for T-Mobile, I would probably have bought the SK3 when it came out.
They really do have a F*(# the customer attitude.

(if you want specifics, I can write a book)
Sign-up for a new line. Receive subsidized (reduced cost) device. Cancel service within the initial grace period because of "poor signal" or "bad coverage" in the areas you intend to use it. Unlock device. Rock on.

I think the whole locking a device to the service provider initially was a way to discourage ^that behavior.

I'm sure that technicly your supposed to box up your used device and ship it back and wait 90 days for a refund but... what are they going to do with a used device when they recieve it back 30 days after it was first released?
Something tells me they either don't or can't make much effort to retrieve a device that was not returned and just cut their losses with what money that was paid for the dang thing at signing. Why else would they bother locking down the thing in the first place?

What is the feasibility of boycotting simless CDMA networks in the US?

Their prevalence seems to be the reason this happens to you guys. Is there GSM coverage everywhere?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
What is the feasibility of boycotting simless CDMA networks in the US?

Their prevalence seems to be the reason this happens to you guys. Is there GSM coverage everywhere?
I can't see such a boycott succeeding... too few people here want to do more than grumble occasionally. Americans have gotten "good" over the years at ceding real choice for immediate convenience.

But there is great GSM coverage, anyway. Spotty depending on carrier and locale, but great overall. I drove from north Texas to southern California a few years ago and only lost signal (AT&T) for a few minutes in the west Texas mountains. Other than that it was crystal clear and consistent.

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle
"Nokia has other things in the hopper for the U.S. market, namely growing its presence and building smartphones for CDMA networks," IDC's Llamas explained. "It could be a while until we see the new devices here."
http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/67971.htmlOTE]

This is a standard ploy of publish or perish. Thes editors gotta have something to write about or you're out on the street eating saltines and bread crumbs.

And I am full of BS 99% of the time. Cheers!

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by glabifrons View Post
??? Why shouldn't one be able to lock it down? They chose Android's licence very carefully so vendors and carriers would be able to lock it down completely. Contrary to what marketing tries to make you believe, Android is not an open system. The SDK is open source, but what's on your phone needn't be and usually isn't.