i'd be entirely up for a quality chinese hansdet like the oneplus one running sailfish.

two points:
1. i can't see a licensesee being interested in TOH
2. hopefuly a design that accomodates edge gestures via a curved screen (like the N9).

i have been using the sailfish launcher on my nexus 5... which has a very slim silicon jacket. it makes the sailfish UI utterly pointless!

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
i'd be entirely up for a quality chinese hansdet like the oneplus one running sailfish.
Isn't it a little early to tell if it's "quality"? It's not been released yet.

A bicycle engineer once told me that there are three criteria in bicycle design, Cost, Strength, Weight.... pick two.

ie. you can't have a cheap, strong, light bike.

I imagine something similar applies with electronics too, even in China.

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
2. hopefuly a design that accomodates edge gestures via a curved screen (like the N9).
Absolutely. That's what I mentioned earlier with the current Jolla design. the glass is flat in a plastic insert but the design is screaming out for it to be all glass and curved from the edge. I would guess that's a cost cutting measure though a glass edge might be fragile. Back to "pick two" perhaps.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Totallt disagree. The issues some people have had, not me, not all, are surely more to do with the accelerated timeline they had having to switch from their original platform and first product issues.

That's what they did the first time. Now they have the time to tefine their design.
There are a lot more problems than you think ...

It absolutely isn't, at all. They came up with their own design and packaging and their ODM attempted to accommodate them (with a largely bespoke mix of low grade components and totally different packaging to other phones they produce).

Battery isn't even standard in package with other phones ... why do you think there are no spare batteries?

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Isn't it a little early to tell if it's "quality"? It's not been released yet.

A bicycle engineer once told me that there are three criteria in bicycle design, Cost, Strength, Weight.... pick two.
I say quality because I imagine it would be an existing SKU repurposed to run Sailfish, rather than Android or the Android derivatives used by the likes of Xioimi, Meiuzu, etc. a Oneplus One or a Huwei Honor 6 would be just fine with me!

same equation applies to tanks: mobility, lethality, protection - pick two.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Been reading a lot of ifs & buts on this thread lately. Do people really think their opinions matter when the event is two days away?

Just relax and watch things unfolding
Things unfolding tend to be against my interests for the past couple of years.
I suppose Jolla reads and enjoys some of the speculation here (of course they have no time to answer on any comment as they are a small team ans still lot of work to do , etc...) so I think it makes sense to post your expectations or desire in this thread.

-> Jolla, give me more of that software, not that hardware.

-Will pay for license to run Sailfish on fully supported 3rd party hardware found plenty in the wild, waiting to be activated with a better OS
-Will feel happy to receive free Sailfish license as thank you for being early backer 1st half of 2013.

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
About the Jolla counter, if I did not make a mistake, it's reaching zero on November 19th, at 03:00 (AM), Helsinki time.
Event at 3 AM?
Maybe it's more like 9 AM as in Hong Kong?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by minimos View Post
About the Jolla counter, if I did not make a mistake, it's reaching zero on November 19th, at 03:00 (AM), Helsinki time.
Event at 3 AM?
Maybe it's more like 9 AM as in Hong Kong?
Well spotted.

That's very weird. Either someone at Jolla can't count and they changed it, or it has developed an error.

It was previously 9am Helsinki time, 11am London time on Wednesday.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Code:
            var end_date = new Date(Date.UTC(2014,10,19,1,0,0,0)).getTime();
			//var end_date = new Date( timer.data('end-date') + ' GMT' + gmt_offset ).getTime();
Looks a bit strange...

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Probably a matter of taste (trying to be polite), but the Jolla phone is really a remarkable work of art IMHO. While all other phones look alike, it shows how you can do something very different, yet still aesthetic and very functional. Using both the Samsung Galaxy and the Jolla phone, I have to say the Jolla isn't only prettier but a lot better to hold in your hands.

As you seem to have an eye for detail, do you agree its beauty is only skin deep?
And in the light of a Samsung my 30 USD toaster is also a piece of art and example of understanding of ergonomics.. Samsung even succeeds to randomize button placement in the most inconvenient way.
Subjectively, IMO there is no candybar phone that is a joy to hold. It feels alien in my medium sized hands, has dropped more than other phones due to that. I purchased it because I had no choice.

Appreciation by outside world: Nobody ever asked any question about my Jolla or gave me a compliment about the "piece of art" I was carrying be it white with Lastu birch wooden back or orange the first one.

Instead carrying a Jolla makes me feel like I am blending in the crowd like an actor in that scene of the Walking Dead where the swordsgirl has two zombies walking on a leech on each side of her to mask her own smell as not to stir the zombies into attack.

Recently people are rarely out to spot different phone OS or trying to convert you using the iPhone or Androids around them - they feel at ease knowing everybody is the same now and bother with their social networking.

Especially when I am browsing the internet on the train I am masking my "being unlike" with the Android back button under the Firefox browser. I don't want to do that but I a feel a few Android apps, like Firefox are essential to me for enjoying the Jolla.

Luckily there is FBReader native and a great native IRC client amongst other native gems!

Carrying a Jolla phone IMO is not helping to spread the word about Jolla and Sailfish. There are few situations where my phone can stand out to attract attention (FM radio tx and Camera still does it for the Nokia)
I feel like I am promoting the Android OS like I felt I was actually promoting Lumia in the months I had my Nokia N9.

To Jolla: give me a Sailfish software license with a big sticker "powered by Jolla reborn / revived / re-activated / inspired by Sailfish" to put on the back of Galaxy / Nexus / Kindle or even better, something with a keyboard if that exists.

I am already supporting Jolla this way (sorry for the N900, yes.. it is actually my phone and I feel relieved returning to it after 2 years, what does that say: lots of work to be done)

Name:  15190848054_fe37968005_k.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  28.3 KB

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
OK, so it's probably just a coincidence that these three things are using the same (currently fashionable) font and design language.

OR IS IT?!

Nokia teaser for their upcoming directions talk at Slush (Tue)
Jolla teaser for their reveal at Slush (Wed)
TOHKBD team teaser

(it is)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:

Tags
bulks