Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
After getting my n810, my old Palm T3 has been laying in a drawer collecting dust. Recently I brought it out and tried to pair it using bluetooth. The reason being I thought I could share the n810's internet connection via PPP and bluetooth. The strange thing is that the devices refuse to pair. If I initiate the pairing from the palm side it refused to even see the n810, even though the settings were set to visible. If I initiate the connection from the nokia, I am able to see the T3 PDA, but it throws the strangest error - "not enough resources to connect to device." After reseting the palm, they did connect! Looked like something in the palm's bluetooth stack messed up. But, now comes another problem, the palm sees the n810 as a PDA, and refuses to do a network connection. Does anyone know how to change this (aka make the n810 look like a pc), and has there been any sucess in sharing the wifi network over bluetooth using PPP?

I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I can share my experience. I got my T3 to pair as well, and had about as much trouble as you had. Palms are funky with regard to BT and WIFI, so I wasn't surprised at all.

Why are you trying to pair them for an Internet connection over BT? The microbrowser is light years ahead of anything that is available for the Palm OS5. Surfing via my T3 over Wifi was never really great fun. However, if you want to surf using your Palm over WIFI, you might be able to find a cheap Palm SD Wifi card. I should warn you, though, that my battery life was just about worthless (45 minutes) for surfing over Wifi.

As for what BT services are recognized, I'm not sure what you can do to change this. The services have to do with what each device presents to the other. Without doing further research, I'm guessing that the N810 does not present the "modem" service to other devices. As such, I doubt it can be set to do so.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
yea, I know what you mean, palms are so old school. The reason I want to pair it up was for a dedicated XBMC controler, and also Salling Clicker while outside of bluetooth range. I didnt buy the SD adapter for the same reasons you stated. For the same price you could get an extra 4 GB card for the Nokia. If only the GarnetVM supported bluetooth and full screen.... So im not going to bother with this complicated setup if the palm wont cooperate. Thanks for the quick reply burmashave.

(And about the modem service thing, PPP is done over bluetooth serial, not dial-up-networking. Bluez supports this i think. The only problem is that the palm REFUSES to see the n810 as anything other than a PDA. If there was only some way to trick it...)

I've used hcitool and other Linux BT utilities; however, I can't think of any that would accomplish what you want to do. Given enough effort, I'm sure it's possible. The question is how much effort.

On the other hand, mebbe you can cob some Palm freeware to do what you want:

BT Serial
Triconnect
Bluefang
Wireless Networking over BT

Check the requirements. I think one of the above may be for OS4, but it might work for OS5. As you can see, I found most of these at frewarepalm.com. The normal Palm software sites (palmgear.com, handango.com) didn't seem to have anything useful.

And yes, I think all the former Palm users have things we really want to see provided by GVM.