Active Topics

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
2008He on 770 does have sound! Interesting...

Never realize there is a sound control in the control panel!

Click on it, it takes a long long long time to show up, like 15 seconds
Control Panel>Sounds>
General
Master volume, max (default is level 1?)
- System sounds: Level 2
- Key sounds: Level 2
- Touch screen sounds: Level 2
Ringtones
- Volume: max
Ringtone: Solar Eclipse

system sound, warning etc are all audible, not loud.

Play game, sounds are again, audible, not loud, quality is clear.

media player plays and sound is very audible, not laud, but is totally audible. On stereo mp3, only mono channel is heard.iz Only if there is an equalizer, I would push all frequency max to gain 20 db, oh well........ at least, it is audible at the current situation.

alarm does sound, but one has to hold it close to the ear

I agree, the sound is really minimal, using a earplug is more practical. Hey, just amaze at the Nokia maemo team with this 2008He, salute!
On other front, Firefox 1.05beta, liqbase playground, flipclock all installed without error message, but wont run

Edit: OK, got an idea, record a very loud .mp3 to play on the alarm clock, it may be able to wake me up, maybe, may...

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2009-11-12 at 09:59.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Interesting about the file finally opening if you wait long enough. "Master volume" in Sounds (Control Panel) turns out to be the same setting as you get from the Sound icon on the status bar. You can open both of them, tap + or - on the status-bar setting, and watch both indicators move at the same time.

I thought there was an increase in volume on the internet radio recently, after I changed to a different MMC card for boot. (The old MMC seemed to have worn out and I threw it away.) In a quiet room, my wife and I can hear it playing Venice Classic Radio. The 770's speaker is poor quality, though. There is no advantage to increasing the volume of an unpleasant sound. Also, as you have noticed, there is no stereo because there is only one speaker. With headphones, the sound is superb. (The speaker could be the best that would fit in the small space. I certainly like the compactness of the 770.)

It's nice to see that there is still interest in the 770. It's really not very old.

The Following User Says Thank You to scaler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Edmonton, AB, Canada
I found that some applications (sidplayer, in particular) could be quite loud.

My main problem with my 770 is that without the WLAN working it becomes much less useful (I have a zillion access points near my apartment, g and n so I can forget about it).

I was planning on installing Mer, but the RS-MMC card I bought for it was bad and I never got to adapt a 4 Gb SD card. Life then got in the way. ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to pablob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by pablob View Post
My main problem with my 770 is that without the WLAN working it becomes much less useful (I have a zillion access points near my apartment, g and n).
Have you tried the body shielding method? Many people refuse to, because they think it sounds ridiculous. Others of us find that it works. The idea is that the human body absorbs microwaves, including WLAN signals. Holding the 770 against your (preferably clothed) body during search and connection, you can shield it from most APs. Once you are connected, you no longer need to shield. (Unfortunately, 2.4 GHz phones can break your connection.)

I don't know the physics of why this method blocks out APs a few apartments away while allowing your own to connect, but that in fact is what happens. An N router in the very next apartment might still cause problems. I usually pick up between 2 and 6 other APs even with the shielding, but connection succeeds 100% of the time, after it has failed without the shielding. I have no way of knowing whether there are any N routers among those 2-6 APs.

There is something of a knack to it, in that you have to be quick. Quickly select your AP and shield again until connection is complete. I wrote this out at greater length here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=34

The method was first suggested by someone called Burgess (not me) in this Bugzilla thread:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2082

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scaler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Edmonton, AB, Canada
I've tried it briefly and didn't have much success with it (I also tried the bowl method). I never tried it in a systematic way as you mention in that thread. Then I got a chinese iPhone clone, had the MMC card problems and the poor 770 ended up kind of forgotten.

At some point I'll adapt that SD card to the 770 and play a little bit with it. But I might get a N900 before that and that will delay things even more. ;-)

I do not recall that much of a problem with wlan connection, both 2006, 2007He, 2008He on my 770. I do recall, if it does not connect, 1) put it down, and wait for awhile, like a day, and tomorrow it will connect. 2) shut down the router and reboot. I usually able to get by with either one of those methods. But again, my encounter with it is like once in 2 month, so rare that I cannot generate a patern. BTW, failed to connect happens to my N8x0, again, very rarrely and I get by by doing the same manuvre.

bun

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Cincy,Ohio
Bunson,I still find that version to be unuseable on my 770.
Sound works indeed and with my Coby CV130 headphones it's louder. But thing is the OS is unstable and crashes. I find the 2007 SE edition to run much better on the same device.
I am using it and it works well. Mplayer doesn't skip while I am doing things.

OS 2007HE

Originally Posted by trin20t View Post
Bunson,I still find that version to be unuseable on my 770.
Sound works indeed and with my Coby CV130 headphones it's louder. But thing is the OS is unstable and crashes. I find the 2007 SE edition to run much better on the same device.
I am using it and it works well. Mplayer doesn't skip while I am doing things.
I agree that the 2007He is 'more' stable than 2008He. However, I have NOT found the 2008He crash too much. It crashes like once every several days, so infrequent that I cannot generate a patern. I think it depends on what you do with the tablet and if that crashes often, you would probably back down to 2007He. Also 2007He has real sound and skype. However, there are some package that do requires 2008He and I am using them. My biggest use of the 770 is my sleep companion, to control my PC music while I am in bed

Good to see you still hang around and do not get drowned by the n900 fever

bun

bun

@bunanson

if 2007He is so stable
so please tell me how to
get bluetooth gps connected in maemo mapper 2.6.2 (upgraded)
2007He, Nokia 770.

Followed 2-year old thread

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...highlight=j800

but gps is not working
maemo mapper is not connecting to
rfcomm

Any help ?

I have no idea if this will really work for OS2007HE and the 770, but you could try my patched version of maemo mapper 2.6.2 which you can find in this post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=319596&postcount=1

I patched the original 2.6.2 and rebuilt for OS2007, because the original would not let me select a bluetooth GPS (or search for one).