Posts: 12 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Colorado, US
I want a flush-screen device, that is both attractive and ergonomically comfortable. The N800 is great, but I think it could improve in both areas.

I'm thinking a similar display with larger buttons and less empty space on the face of the device. The buttons as they are don't work very well for extended use, on the go, or in the dark.

Ditch the keyboard and add haptics, to make the on screen keyboard that much better. Get rid of a speaker if we need to save space - stereo isn't that big of a deal.

Get us drivers for the graphics chip - there's nothing more frustrating than watching chunky video or tearing in apps like canola when we have capable hardware sitting right there inside the device.

SDHC cards are awesome, and 2 slots is hard to beat. Please keep them both.

TV out - again, it is sitting in the device right now, and will be one more awesome benefit for minimal effort.

Better sound prioritizing - make it so sound doesn't skip, jump, distort, or hiss - this device is begging to be a media monster.

Accelerometers. IR. GPS - Nice, but not a priority.

Extensive polish of default software. I have a calendar on my phone for crying out loud, and it is absurd that I don't even have a basic app for this. Make everything more friendly, pretty, and stable.

Really, I have to say the N800 is a heck of a device, and has been one of the only purchases ever that doesn't seem to get the "new" worn off. It is just so far ahead of it's time that I feel like I'm looking at the future every time I discover a new app. Right now, the only thing it needs is refinement, and carrying out the basic concept to the logical conclusion that everyone envisions with these devices. If anything - don't go crazy with features; we could have a real winner that appeals to more than just passionate nerds (myself) as long as design and polish made priorities.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Montag For This Useful Post:
I would disagree with having larger scroll bars, icons is the only way to go. We should have an option to choose a finger optimized interface or stylus optimized one. While i love using fingers on occasion, having big fat scroll bar/bigger links will always means less screen estate. You will need scrol morel to see everything in file managers, websites which is a pain if you need to be productive. In os2008 the interface is neither here nor there. We still see tiny links on websites that needs unnecessary zooming to bring it up to same sixe as the other interface icons.

We already have a meager 800x480 screen so i am not sure want to see precious screen estate wasted by "finger friendly scroll bars or tool bars at the bottom. A less recessed or so called bezelless screen would solve some of the problems caused by side scroll bar. Which brings me to another problem on OS2008: poor drag scroll response on the micro-b browser and its crawling speed on many common websites. Why cant we have at least option for a less full feature but ACTUALLY useable browser like on OS2007? Sorry back to the topic. A side scroll bar (fat or thin) wont even be need if the browser itself scrolls fast and easily with drag scroll.

Beside the usual more ram/flash/cpu/dsp that will come anyway, a few things that are more design options and that are doable with existing technology:
- Alsmot full device size screen, with 1024x600 resolution (this would have almost the same dpi and allow most web site and applications to run natively), with hardware buttons moved to all 4 sides (active side selectable for right/left hand, and portrait/landscape, ideally selected through accelerometer) so they all fall under the thumb.
- High-capacity battery option with a battery position that will tilt slightly the screen like on most laptops.
- Touchpad on the slide-out keyboard and small clickable trackball on the side.
- SDIO, which implies at least one full SD slot. I could sacrify a few add'l mm in thickness for that.
- Tropicalized version (rain&sand) like the ToughBooks.

Last but not leasts:
- DOCKING STATION, with charging/full size powered usb hub/IR receiver, so we can use it as a home/car small media center/gaming/GPS and connect external 5.1 sound card, external video card, external hard drive, etc. through USB just by dropping the IT in the docking station. The docking station should of course be small enough to be usable in car too (In fact I plan to make one for the N770 using the hard cover since all connectors are on the same side)

Then, there's the software wish list but we don't need Nokia for that, do we?
- PIM with SyncML a bit easier to configure than GPE
- Hand-free operation of cell-phone similar to what you find in modern cars
- Multiplatform automated media syncing software for PCs (like what WMP11 does).

Now, there's two we need Nokia:
- Fully finger-friendly OS
- Fully finger-scroll OS (No more nail tip sized scroll bar)

Krystan

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Amsterdam
Just to make sure they are mentioned ::::: THE SPEAKERS. ~I LOVe THEM.

They can take my ears as long as they leave the speakers !

I will not buy a 900 without SPEAKERS !!!!!

Abel.

(And Diablo fo course !!)

Last edited by AbelMN; 2008-04-13 at 17:01.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It's funny to see the remarks about a flush screen after what I saw on my flight over here to Helsinki.

A guy on the next row and up a seat was watching a movie on a tablet that looked to be the same size as an N810. I kept looking for a logo but couldn't see one. When he was done, I asked him what the device was-- turned out to be an iPod Touch. What made it look odd was that he had added a plastic protector to it-- that made the screen recessed just like the N810's.

So I think I see the solution to make both parties happy here...

- N810ish form factor
- Dual SD (even if it makes the device thicker)
- charge via micro USB
- active/hard touchscreen
- Fewer buttons (think apple has the correct idea here)
- better battery life
- improved browser (this will happen with or without nokia...)
- finish the conversion to finger controls... Readon
- mesh networking
- 802.11g/n (wimax optional)

We do not have a lot of screen space. Now we waste quite a bit for scroll bars etc. Why not use a transparent interface? If you touch in an area that can show a control it shows (transparently). Next touch(s) let you play with the control. After a configurable interval with no activity the controls fade away.

For status areas I would encourage all application to make them hideable via a transparent control (eg touch the lower left corner and a control appears, touch it again and you have a status/input area - much easier than hunting trough a menu)

With standard positions and sizes for transparent controls we could get rid of the need for many of the buttons.

something like this might be workable (user testing needed)
upper left - touch to get menus
upper right - touch to get /fullscreen/minimize/close buttons
lower right - touch to get non transparent status bar
lower left - touch to get non transparent input bar (or toggle full screen input eg for a drawing program)
bottom (above status bar & keyboard, if displayed) - scrollbar
right - scrollbar
top - zoom scrollbar
left - application specific (eg back/forward/home/bookmarks buttons for a browser)

Comments?

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nashua, NH
Would it be unreasonable to stick an atom proc in an nx00 device?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by MurphysPub View Post
Would it be unreasonable to stick an atom proc in an nx00 device?
Unrealistic and stupid. There's a thread around where a lot of highly intelligent and informed people will tell you exactly why it's a bad idea.

Originally Posted by Jobester View Post
er, a version that's a small touchscreen internet tablet (similar to the N810) that reveals a button layout so you can game like it's a Nintendo DS (I haven't used a DS). Keep the camera, etc. and keep it so fbreader is just as convenient to use. I don't know if that's realistic because I can't think of how to pull it off well
I mainly would like to see convenient to carry around in regular pocket (or belt loop or anyhow?) and designed to be usable for 3+ years to get the most value I realistically can
Right now the N800 is inbetween cargo pocket vs regular pocket, go one way or the other
That's a great product idea - you might be able to get rid of the slider though with buttons on the side of the case combined with accelerometers - make the thing a Wii and its controller combined.

+Dual core processor (2x500+)
+More and faster RAM
+More tactile keyboard with Arrows
+Longer life battery
+Editable, dedicated face buttons with D-Pad
+Better FINGER recognition
+Better video processor with more codecs
+Improved network speeds via BT and Wi-Fi
+With improvements, a comparative price point to the N8X0
+Keyboard light stays on when it is open or a dedicated key/switch

Not necessary, but wouldn't mind
+True HD res
+16+ Million color screen
+Better Video Cam (can it get any worse?)
+A stand that actually works in multiple positions
+Move the light sensor to the middle
+Move the usb port so I can plug it in w/o having to use the stand
+Higher volume output with EQ
+Any percent zoom in MicroB

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist