I'm using Password Safe on my n800. It works. I'm not real fond of GPE Calendar, but if it could reliably wake up and beep for my appointments, i'd be set.

N800 + iGo Bluetooth Keyboard * Shirt Pocket = 'Nuf Said!

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
No, not gonna happen. For anybody with the desire to do even a modicum of really computing, no laptop will ever cut it—horrible keyboards, god-awful nipples and trackpads,
I don't what "real computing" is if it isn't writing a novel, a piece of software, or working on a spreadsheet to run a company. People do all these things on laptops. Some people actually like touchpads; others plug in USB mice; keyboards vary, as do most people's taste (ergonomically, your keyboard is probably worse than a laptops if you're right handed - the long reach for the mouse caused by the num pad is a big cause of trapped nerves and RSI.)

no expandability, and no power.
Lots of people buy a machine that's adequate for their needs for the next three years then throw it. This works. As for "no power", i'ts hard to buy a laptop these days that isn't adequate for everything short of cutting edge videogames. Or running Vista.

The desktop provides a lot more power, a lot of expandability and upgradability, a lot better input methods and a lot more comfort (I dunno about you, but I've never been comfortable scrunched up with a laptop on my legs).
I think you'd probably be even less comfortable with a desktop system on your legs. The point is that with a laptop you can use it on a desk - or airline seat tray, coffee shop table, etc - when one is available.

The Following User Says Thank You to meanwhile For This Useful Post:
Different people have different likes and needs, and that's why they sell so many different types of computers, and everything else. I like the Eee, someone else likes desktops, someone else likes iTouch, and so on. There is something available for just about everyone, and everyone is free to vote with their wallet. This shouldn't be a religious issue, and I don't care at all what anyone else buys. I do think that form factor influences software, though. I require decent PIM software and a good password manager on a pocketable device, because that's why I carry it in the first place. Other software is a bonus. I'm still carrying a Palm, because it's the only device that has good enough software that syncs with my PC. I hoped to change to the N800, because it's a more powerful and versatile device, but the lack of software has prevented that. I have far better software on my Eee, but it's not quite pocketable. If J-Pilot could be ported to Maemo, I would be very happy. I may try building it myself if I can't find something soon. I've tried every password manager I can find, and they're all severely deficient for my needs. My needs aren't anyone else's needs, so I may have to do it all myself. It won't be the first time.

The Following User Says Thank You to sgosnell For This Useful Post: