I got an Ipod touch here in Japan due to the discount offered when I bought my macbook pro, I really liked the interface, the size and at the beginning web browsing.

At the beginning I tought about never use again my N800 and tought as well the possibility of selling it, but anyhow I took again my Nokia this week and I now I'm asking my self why I left my beloved Nokia N800 in a drawer getting dust and letting the battery drain... I'm using it again and eventhough the interface is choppy and the touchscreen behavior is a little bit different from the ipod touch, It seems that the spring has come and my Nokia N800 and I are in love again!

Well I'm gonna write here what I like and dislike from both devices.

Nokia N800

Things I like
  • The screen is georgeous, its really nice to read the webpages without the need of zoom in or out.
  • I like the possibilty of having different applications running at the same time
  • USB OTG is a very nice feature, I don't need anymore to let plugged my computer to use bittorrent, N800 + external hardrive does the function
  • I can plug microcontrolers to my N800 and develop applications
  • N800 + bluetooth GPS + Maemo Mapper is a great combination
  • The Wireless sensivity is amazing in places the Ipod touch cannot see any network, the N800 could see around 5 to 10 of them
  • And finally and the thing I like the most, is Open Source!

Things I dislike
  • The interface is choppy and gives an impression of slowness but altough Canola is closed source the Canola team is developping what I thing is the right interface for this class of devices.
  • It's quite big to carry in the pocket all the time.
  • It seems quite hard to develop a complete and functional application in GTK.

IPod touch

Things I like
  • The interface is mindblowing, fast and responsive.
  • Web browsing is limited in various ways and altough the screen resolution is not enough to read the web without zoom in, scalling is really fast and works almost perfect.
  • Big hard drive built in
  • For media consumption is almost the perfect device.

Things I dislike
  • Wireless sensitivy is really, really bad, even being next to the access point I don't get a high signal strengh.
  • Cannot plug anything to the Ipod.
  • I don't like recent Apple's actions, is getting worse than all much critized Microsoft behaviour, but with a good looking appaerance...
  • Cannot plug anything to the Ipod.
  • It is closed source.

Thank you for reading it and keep In mind that I'm not a native english speaker, if you see some mistake that hurts your eyes, tell it to me!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to biquillo For This Useful Post:
I'd say the above is a very fair summary. The Nokia's screen and wireless are outstanding, as you've pointed out. The one area where I'd definitely differ is the identification of its hard drive as an advantage to the Pod: it's easy and cheap to add LOTS of SD to the Nokia.

Regarding interface/user experience: it's quite possible that Android will be a practical proposition on the Nit hardware, and Android seems quite competitive with Apple in this regard.

Finally, the Apple will probably sprint ahead of the Nit in offering applications at some point. (It it hasn't done so unofficially already if you're willing to jailbreak the device.)

I never meant to say that having a hard drive is an advantage, I only pointed out what I liked and disliked, of course I like, or better If I say I love the functionality of having two SD slots, is really convinient when travelling and saving photos to another SD card among other cases.

I only say that because IMHO a normal user wants something that works out of the box and the less worries, the more fun, isn't? I think Nokia did a great step adding more memory to the N810 and keeping one slot, but the given memory is not enough for todays needs, so I hope for next revision the put at least 16 GB as right now the flash memory is quite cheap.

Nokias Internet Tablets are really nice devices but need more love to get to main stream, I mean, some graphics acceleration rendering for the GUI, a more finguer based GUI keeping as well the stylus approach and that's all what I want... well I want something more, 3G connections are getting very cheap everywhere while WiMax is not used anywhere as far as I know, so I hope at some point Nokia will sell the IT with a 3G chip inside... I know you can connect through bluetooth to the phone but...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by biquillo View Post
Nokias Internet Tablets are really nice devices but need more love to get to main stream, I mean, some graphics acceleration rendering for the GUI, a more finguer based GUI keeping as well the stylus approach and that's all what I want...
So, in essence, for the NIT to become more iTouch\iphone like? *snickers*

Last edited by ysss; 2008-04-16 at 18:16. Reason: typo

I never meant to say that having a hard drive is an advantage, I only pointed out what I liked and disliked, of course I like, or better If I say I love the functionality of having two SD slots, is really convinient when travelling and saving photos to another SD card among other cases.
Doesn't the 2008 OS allow the N800 to have more storage using SD than a Touch's hd?

I only say that because IMHO a normal user wants something that works out of the box and the less worries, the more fun, isn't?
I'm all for out fo the box, but I think that people are ok with adding SD cards - they're used to it from digital cameras. It's not like having to flash upgrade the OS of an 800 on purchase, imo.

I think Nokia did a great step adding more memory to the N810 and keeping one slot, but the given memory is not enough for todays needs, so I hope for next revision the put at least 16 GB as right now the flash memory is quite cheap.
Yes; more ram as standard would help sales. I'm not sure that Nokia really want to sell the Nits widely though, they're more of a strategic "probe" product for leverage in negotiating with WiFi deployers and similar types.

Nokias Internet Tablets are really nice devices but need more love to get to main stream, I mean, some graphics acceleration rendering for the GUI, a more finguer based GUI keeping as well the stylus approach and that's all what I want...
The GUI could be much faster and more responsive without needing hardware acceleration. Look how fast Quake runs on the N800, and think how damn simple Nit gui is compared to what you've seen on old PC and Playstation 1 games. Finger control will never match Apple's without a change to an electrosensitive screen, at which point bang goes the stylus. But a lot could still be done with both finger and stylus gui.

well I want something more, 3G connections are getting very cheap everywhere while WiMax is not used anywhere as far as I know, so I hope at some point Nokia will sell the IT with a 3G chip inside... I know you can connect through bluetooth to the phone but...
This won't happen. The non-existent security model would be too tempting to virus writers, if deployed in a real phone. A badly behaved app deployed on thousands of maemo phones could stage a denial of service attack on emergency services telephone numbers. Very tempting to pranksters and cyberterrorsists, and Nokia's board would be lucky just to end up ruined afterwards, rather than in Guantanamo.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
So, in essence, for the NIT to become for iTouch\iphone like? *snickers*
I don't understad what is the maning of these posts.

Wanting faster graphics acelaration has got nothing to do with being iPhone line.
Wanting a better graphics engine is just a proggresing development for any device. Just because iPhone happens to have it doesn't mean we can't want it without drawing this hacked up "iPhone-like" analogy each and every time.

Lets just give this "iPhone like" concept a rest please.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by meanwhile View Post
Doesn't the 2008 OS allow the N800 to have more storage using SD than a Touch's hd?
No, because the touch doesn't have a HD.

Originally Posted by meanwhile View Post
This won't happen. The non-existent security model would be too tempting to virus writers, if deployed in a real phone. A badly behaved app deployed on thousands of maemo phones could stage a denial of service attack on emergency services telephone numbers. Very tempting to pranksters and cyberterrorsists, and Nokia's board would be lucky just to end up ruined afterwards, rather than in Guantanamo.
Oh listen, it is a broken record!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
Oh listen, it is a broken record!
He's starting to sound just a little off balance. :\

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
[*]Cannot plug anything to the Ipod.[*]I don't like recent Apple's actions, is getting worse than all much critized Microsoft behaviour, but with a good looking appaerance...[*]Cannot plug anything to the Ipod.[*]It is closed source.
I would say where it is a fair comparison in some ways, the 'not liking apples action' is not really a comparison of devices, it is an opinion of a company. Which is fine if that is what it is supposed to be.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
I don't understad what is the maning of these posts.

Wanting faster graphics acelaration has got nothing to do with being iPhone line.
Wanting a better graphics engine is just a proggresing development for any device. Just because iPhone happens to have it doesn't mean we can't want it without drawing this hacked up "iPhone-like" analogy each and every time.

Lets just give this "iPhone like" concept a rest please.
You left out the most important part of what I quoted. "More mainstream".

Anyhow, after all those NIT vs iTouch\iphone thread, I don't think anyone is taking these snide comments seriously anymore anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post: