Posts: 111 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hong Kong
I have installed Google play service and received some push notifications, but sometime doesn't.
What thing makes gcm broken?

In my case at least it's usually the switch from wifi->mobile. Many times the Android apps seem to have a hard time finding the new connection. Restarting the app helps though sometimes you need to restart the whole dalvik.

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
In the last software version push notifications worked flawlessly. In the current official release whatsapp and telegram only work when the apps are open in the multitasking view. Hangouts seems to work sometimes, when it's not running/visible. And sometimes something pokes Play Services so that push notifications come through, but everything is really unreliable, which really sucks.

Jolla must realise that a lot of users shoehorn Play onto their devices even though it's a bit naughty - it'd be nice if they had testcases/options in Alien Dalvik to stop the behaviour regressing/varying with every software update!

Maybe they disabled the background connections on purpose for battery usage or something, but I for one would really like an option to allow them, waste a bit of battery and keep push notifications working, as they're a big part of what makes quite a few Android apps useful.

this further re iterates the point, we need some sort of control panel for the alien dalvik were power users that care about these things can decide

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hong Kong
Any android expert can help to explain this issues?