Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
I have no reason to come here and brag or gloat, but to inform. I would like to see a maemo.org type community working on iOS stuff. I would like to see emacs working on iOS (and there are people who would want it: http://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/co..._port_for_ios/ and I belive people in this community, once they get past the stigma, could do it without much effort.)
Well, there it is, just as you sad it; You wish that there'd be similar community for apple as exists for Maemo (& derivatives...)
But there isn't. And won't be.

It just does not work that way, developer communities get built around stuff that interests developers, and apple devices just do not cut it. The stuff that is made for just users, made as means to feed consumers with canned content will not draw people in to participate in hacking, sorry.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
@szopin iOS and Mac OS X is Darwin underneath so BSD based.

Unlike OS X, iOS doesn't have Terminal, doesn't have user accounts, no sshd, no access to the filesystem. Apps and their data are sandboxed.

Whenever Mac users hear of iOSification of OS X, we worry about dumb crap like that being inflicted on us.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...tal-av-adapter

I have the N900 property TV out cable. Your claims are simply not true.
Are you freaking kidding me with those adapters? I should spend 2000EUR on an iPhone and all its gimmicky adapters (iR, TV-out, keyboard case, You_Name_It...) in order to have the same out of box functionality that a 2009 device offers, and not even counting the amount of time wasted jailbreaking the device? Instead of nailing my gf, I should keep reading on how to make my device useful You, also seem to think we all are capable of shitting money down the toilet and are willing to waste it on junk. Good for you man, enjoy your iPhone and that 50 dollar adapter, just for TV out. These days, instead of buying that stupid adapter, you can buy a whole N900 for 50 bucks.

Much brains bro?

EDIT: Oh, and that universal remote adapter thingy.....when I bought my phone, I never planned to make it look like Mickey Mouse someday in the future. And................actually pay additionally for it.

Last edited by patlak; 2014-05-30 at 22:49.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
This is the ideology I am trying to dispel (as well as with Android). For some reason there is this belief that Apple products are extraordinarily limited (and Android a bit less). There is a screen shot of Fedora on a Galaxy Note 3 running emacs above, please reference these topics from 2 years ago:
You really have a washed up brain. Enjoy being the clueless majority. The majority happens to be idiots which politicians and said businesses love so much and use to screw with the normal people and their requirements in this beautiful world. You confirm it yourself this whole time. These devices are permanently limited for the majority. Do you actually think the majority of iPhone customers jailbreak their devices? Believe it or not, you are in the iPhone jailbreak minority camp. That clueless majority is limiting your device from being open from factory. Get a brain and stop trying to convince people you know what's best for them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
@szopin iOS and Mac OS X is Darwin underneath so BSD based.

Unlike OS X, iOS doesn't have Terminal, doesn't have user accounts, no sshd, no access to the filesystem. Apps and their data are sandboxed.

Whenever Mac users hear of iOSification of OS X, we worry about dumb crap like that being inflicted on us.
sshd according to xxxts is already there. Do they wait for any new feature to be implemented upstairs even after jailbreak? Thought it was freeish after.
BSD shouldn't stop emacs:
http://wikemacs.org/index.php/Installing_Emacs_on_BSD
Maybe use ssh client to ssh into your own device to get terminal? I thought it was weird android guys couldn't run eclipse on their platform, seems to be the norm

Originally Posted by patlak View Post
Are you freaking kidding me with those adapters? I should spend 2000EUR on an iPhone and all its gimmicky adapters (iR, TV-out, keyboard case, You_Name_It...) in order to have the same out of box functionality that a 2009 device offers, and not even counting the amount of time wasted jailbreaking the device? Instead of nailing my gf, I should keep reading on how to make my device useful You, also seem to think we all are capable of shitting money down the toilet and are willing to waste it on junk. Good for you man, enjoy your iPhone and that 50 dollar adapter, just for TV out. These days, instead of buying that stupid adapter, you can buy a whole N900 for 50 bucks.

Much brains bro?

EDIT: Oh, and that universal remote adapter thingy.....when I bought my phone, I never planned to make it look like Mickey Mouse someday in the future. And................actually pay additionally for it.
Stop acting childish, the N900 TV adapter was sold separately and was not cheap either. Your argument fails.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well, there it is, just as you sad it; You wish that there'd be similar community for apple as exists for Maemo (& derivatives...)
But there isn't. And won't be.

It just does not work that way, developer communities get built around stuff that interests developers, and apple devices just do not cut it. The stuff that is made for just users, made as means to feed consumers with canned content will not draw people in to participate in hacking, sorry.
This is where you and a good portion of this community disagree. You mean to tell me that the iPhone and iOS is not a valid platform for developers simply because it is intended for the masses. I can gain root access to filing system, I can install SSHd, I can install a VNC server, I can do many things that you can do with BSD without loosing the functionality of the intended purpose. I believe your position and the position of many here is informed by an ideology and misinformation about the capabilities of iOS, and a jailbroken iOS (which I have informed many about, hence the reasoning for this post).

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Stop acting childish, the N900 TV adapter was sold separately and was not cheap either. Your argument fails.
It was included in the box.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
nope. it came with the unit.

my personal reason for not going with apple products:
1. it is very expensive compared to other products that can do the same thing, sometimes even better.
2. it has bluetooth but cannot send/receive files to other bluetooth devices. is there a good reason for this, one which is good for the consumer?
3. correct me if i'm wrong on this one: itunes is needed to transfer files to the device.

one time i suggested that my wife just get an iphone as replacement when she broke her S4's camera. she's the one who reminded me of reasons 3 and 4 so it is an issue, not just for maemo users.

and i think most of the N900 owners are not part of the iphone's target market. most of us made an informed decision when we chose to stay with maemo and based on this thread, nothing much has changed to convince some of us (including me) to take the apple route. anyway, thanks for the update.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
nope. it came with the unit.

my personal reason for not going with apple products:
1. it is very expensive compared to other products that can do the same thing, sometimes even better.
2. it has bluetooth but cannot send/receive files to other bluetooth devices. is there a good reason for this, one which is good for the consumer?
3. correct me if i'm wrong on this one: itunes is needed to transfer files to the device.
I don't know about price...

2) jail broken you can zip and transfer files straight from the device, you can run midnight commander, you have a lot more power than you have been led to believe.

3) wrong, I do not have iTunes installed. I mostly transfer files using other software like ifunbox or services such as Dropbox.

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post: