Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
hahaha...love it wiki.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Good thing I have all weekend to wait for the external charger. In the meantime, I'll talk about some of the apps I've used.

HDRcapture
Since I'm about the furthest thing from a photographer you can get, I had no expectations for this app. However, the pictures taken with this app...wow. I was blown away. I don't know how high-quality the pictures were, but they seemed pretty good to me on the grounds that they looked very close to what I saw with my own eyes.

I wasn't expecting to have to hold the phone still while it took the pics though. The images I took with it while having it resting were the best quality.

the regular camera app
My Samsung Flash has a 5MP camera as well, but this one is 5 leagues above it. Action shots aren't as blurry, it's more clear in low-light, and it has a BLOODY COVER! The only thing the Flash's camera has over this one is that it takes pictures faster. Much faster, in fact.

When I get the chance, I'll compare this camera to other, newer phones. Should be interesting.

blessN900
I really didn't notice a difference between using this and the regular camera app besides that it took much longer to process pictures. Perhaps the images are clearer, but I'm not seeing it.
X terminal
Very basic, which isn't a bad thing. I'm just really, really spoiled by Terminology. Too bad Terminology takes 50MB to run. Otherwise, it would probably be among the top apps I'd get going once I set up Easy Debian.

Meh. Perhaps Terminator will do.

Conversation
SMS is noticeably more clunky on the N900 that it was on the Flash. It takes a few seconds for it to sort itself out, even if I already have it open and switch to it from a different app.

However, it gets bonus points for pretty good integration with IM, whereas the Flash had whole other apps+shortcuts to those.

Pierogi
Now this app? This is hotness. Now, some of the things it works for aren't that obvious. For example, I have a TCL TV that works with one of the RCA options. I only knew that after looking it up. Very useful!

Swappolube
After making adjustments using this, my system, as a whole, was more responsive. Htop indicated I was using more RAM, but that's to be expected when swappiness is decreased. Should help out with flash wear as well.

Leafpad
Not going to go into detail on this one. I'm just glad I found it!

jSpeed
Love love love it. Not going to go into detail on this one either. Just know that it's great at its job and I love it.

Love the display as well. I'd imagine it's great on a bike with a cradle.

Crochik Contacts
I really like the layout on the desktop. It took me a while to get used to using it, but it does work nicely. I'll compare it to the packed-in Contacts app once I'm able to.

That's pretty much all the apps I've used extensively enough to have a proper consensus on (somewhat).

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Tigerroast View Post
First thing's first, I'm uninstalling Catorize. I downloaded batterygraph, set the CPU frequency back to 600MHz, let batterygraph run, uninstalled Catorize after an hour, and reinstalled Catorize. I saw the battery usage spike, and concluded quickly that it's not worth it to have my apps sorted neatly if I'm gonna have to deal with excessive battery drain.
I must say, this is the first time I see "Catorize" and "excessive battery drain" in the same post. I have been using it happily for years with no problems whatsoever. Are you sure those battery spikes were not caused by something else?

An hour is not a statistically significant sample anyway for battery usage tests. You need at least a day, if not a week.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...

I also would like a deeper look into the matter.

Because, as far as I understand it, Catorize does not run in background; it is just a GUI for editing XML file, or XML-file-editor when invoked by installation-removal of an app. Hildon-launcher (however it is called) may be getting slow, possibly, when the said XML file is huge. But catorize itself is not draining the battery, I hope.

I have recently uninstalled lfocus applet, because I do not need a manual focus in camera, and LEDs are controlled nicely by Lanterne. Maybe, it will improve battery life somewhat.

Best wishes.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Good thing I have all weekend to wait for the external charger. In the meantime, I'll talk about some of the apps I've used.

HDRcapture
Since I'm about the furthest thing from a photographer you can get, I had no expectations for this app. However, the pictures taken with this app...wow. I was blown away. I don't know how high-quality the pictures were, but they seemed pretty good to me on the grounds that they looked very close to what I saw with my own eyes.

I wasn't expecting to have to hold the phone still while it took the pics though. The images I took with it while having it resting were the best quality.

the regular camera app
My Samsung Flash has a 5MP camera as well, but this one is 5 leagues above it. Action shots aren't as blurry, it's more clear in low-light, and it has a BLOODY COVER! The only thing the Flash's camera has over this one is that it takes pictures faster. Much faster, in fact.

When I get the chance, I'll compare this camera to other, newer phones. Should be interesting.

blessN900
I really didn't notice a difference between using this and the regular camera app besides that it took much longer to process pictures. Perhaps the images are clearer, but I'm not seeing it.
X terminal
Very basic, which isn't a bad thing. I'm just really, really spoiled by Terminology. Too bad Terminology takes 50MB to run. Otherwise, it would probably be among the top apps I'd get going once I set up Easy Debian.

Meh. Perhaps Terminator will do.

Conversation
SMS is noticeably more clunky on the N900 that it was on the Flash. It takes a few seconds for it to sort itself out, even if I already have it open and switch to it from a different app.

However, it gets bonus points for pretty good integration with IM, whereas the Flash had whole other apps+shortcuts to those.

Pierogi
Now this app? This is hotness. Now, some of the things it works for aren't that obvious. For example, I have a TCL TV that works with one of the RCA options. I only knew that after looking it up. Very useful!

Swappolube
After making adjustments using this, my system, as a whole, was more responsive. Htop indicated I was using more RAM, but that's to be expected when swappiness is decreased. Should help out with flash wear as well.

Leafpad
Not going to go into detail on this one. I'm just glad I found it!

jSpeed
Love love love it. Not going to go into detail on this one either. Just know that it's great at its job and I love it.

Love the display as well. I'd imagine it's great on a bike with a cradle.

Crochik Contacts
I really like the layout on the desktop. It took me a while to get used to using it, but it does work nicely. I'll compare it to the packed-in Contacts app once I'm able to.

That's pretty much all the apps I've used extensively enough to have a proper consensus on (somewhat).
Thank you. I will look up jSpeed and Crochik. And HDRcapture. Not going to mess with Swap, though.

Best wishes.

Thank you for the link! And the shortcut!

Yeah, that's what I mean. I didn't know what it was called, so I just called it overview. It makes sense to me.
Shortcutd allows you to set the camera button to do that

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I must say, this is the first time I see "Catorize" and "excessive battery drain" in the same post. I have been using it happily for years with no problems whatsoever. Are you sure those battery spikes were not caused by something else?
Catorize (and perhaps catorise-plus as well) trigger a bug in hildon-desktop that makes the battery drain really quickly under some circumstances (such as opening and closing the app menu quickly a couple of times).

The solution is to install CSSU or at least the hildon-desktop version off CSSU.
(I've done that and confirmed that catorise-plus or whatever it's called works fine).

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Ain't no rest for the wicked...

Apparently, the phone doesn't charge when OC'd. Seems pretty obvious, but too bad I couldn't work that out beforehand. *sigh* Welp, good thing I made more progress before this blunder.

There's gonna be an external charger in my life in the near future. I might just stop OC'ing alltogether. Enabling HW acceleration of the desktop definitely helped the slowness and jittering.

Speaking of, why would that be disabled by default?
HW acceleration sounds terribly familiar, and I certainly have it enabled. Claimed reason why it is not enabled by default is that it doesn't work without crashing in all devices? Personally I never had issues with the two N900 I have.

The other issue that can not charge when overclocked sounds strange. I have overclocked both my N900 and they both charge just fine.

I made an important discovery: the N900 charger sucks!

I tried an HTC charger (with a different uUSB cable w/ smaller pins) and I managed to boot the N900 within 2min of leaving it to charge. I'm aware that it's a common problem to not have the N900 boot after the battery dies. Well, this is why.

Never using the N900 charger again! I'll still wait on the external battery charger though.

Some strange behavior's afoot.

I tried installing Lanterne, but FAM's complaining about "unmet dependencies." I checked what they could possibly be, and it's claiming that mp-fremantly-community-pr depends on hildon-control-panel, hildon desktop, and hildon status menu. All of these are installed, but it's complaining that the newer versions are to be installed. I'm confused by that. I can't install any more apps until this is resolved, but I don't know what the problem is.

EDIT: Went into /etc/apt/preferences and noticed only entries for what FAM was complaining about. Deleted those. When I go to install an app, same thing happened. I tried deleting /etc/apt/preferences, but it happened again.

Last edited by Tigerroast; 2014-12-13 at 16:44.