Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by rs-px View Post
Bear in mind that some of us are actually buying N800s in light of the new OS (yes, that's N800, not N810 ). The proposed speed boost convinced me to trade in my 770.

But to confirm -- OS2008 will be a firmware update for the 800 and not a Hacker's Edition...?
yeah os 2008 is going to be an official firmware update. And good decision to upgrade to n800. you will be plesantly surprised by the n800 in comparision to the 770

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Bear in mind that some of us are actually buying N800s in light of the new OS (yes, that's N800, not N810 ). The proposed speed boost convinced me to trade in my 770.

But to confirm -- OS2008 will be a firmware update for the 800 and not a Hacker's Edition...?
It will be the exact same version of the firmware running on the N810 - ITOS 2008, not a hacker's edition.

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
It will be the exact same version of the firmware running on the N810 - ITOS 2008, not a hacker's edition.
What about the mapping software, or the drivers for the GPS? Or will it be the case that we get the mapping software but not the actual maps? In which case, will Navicore be removing free access to their maps (http://www.navicoretech.com/Consumer.../en_GB/tablet/)?

EDIT: Ah, just figured it out. The mapping stuff is one the extension card that comes with the N810, so isn't part of the firmware.

Last edited by rs-px; 2007-10-27 at 10:44.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
rs-px, the map software is in the os2008 image. It is the maps that are on the internal flash.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
rs-px, the map software is in the os2008 image. It is the maps that are on the internal flash.
So is a license code required to activate the mapping software? Or does it use a different map format compared to Navicore?

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
So if it's in the image, how big the new OS image will be? It's eating more and more room from the flash.

Originally Posted by markku View Post
So if it's in the image, how big the new OS image will be? It's eating more and more room from the flash.
IIRC the Navicore software on my 770 is only around 2MB when installed. The actual mapping program is pretty small.

For a full north Europe install, it's around 700MB on the memory card, including map data, voice files, and misc other bits and pieces.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
So is a license code required to activate the mapping software? Or does it use a different map format compared to Navicore?
I assume the map formats are the same, and no license is required to use the basic map application... only if you decide to use routing.

I really do not understand why they don't release the damn OS already. I mean I'm guessing it's already final, after all N810 launch is just days away. Aaaa.. I really need the new OS. Hoping the issues that I've got with my Wifi box (wlan connection drops after being idle for a second or so even thou the tablet still shows full bars..) go away

Last edited by traveller604; 2007-10-30 at 20:40.

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
Originally Posted by traveller604 View Post
Hoping the issues that I've got with my Wifi box (wlan connection drops after being idle for a second or so even thou the tablet still shows full bars..) go away
I bet that is a problem with your wlan. Have you searched the forums? I remember there being something about this discussed.

Last edited by johsua; 2007-10-30 at 23:17.