Posts: 81 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ port harcourt
Hey all..i stumbled on some commands on how to change the user agent of the nokia n900 to 4 different types...Upon executing this command wit x-term,my phone froze for like 5 minutes and I decided to reboot the phone by using the power key but on rebooting, the nokia hands on was not showin anymore,all the icon images on the application were not showing anymore and the write ups on the screen were all showing block like characters and there's this pink like coloration on the menu start up screen...someone pls help me cuz i dont wanna reflash..too much documents r at stake...

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Just flash the rootfs and it will retain all the data on the EMMC ("MyDocs").

You will have to reinstall all your apps again.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Just flash the rootfs and it will retain all the data on the EMMC ("MyDocs").

You will have to reinstall all your apps again.
thanks boss, i'll do just that when i get home.

Being doing a lil surfin on how to flash just the rootfs alone but couldnt lay my hands on something..could u pls state a walkthrough on how to achieve this feat?i'm using a windows os..secondly will flashing the rootfs downgrade my firmware?remove kernel settings and cssu?thanks in anticipation..

It's all in the Wiki: http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
Thanks boss..tried it and it worked but on opening xterminal i get cannot create directory /dev/cgroup/ermission denied
-sh: /home/user/. bashrc: line 1:cannot create /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/2095/tasks: nonexistent directory
-sh: /home/user/ .bashrc: line 1: cannot create /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/2095/notify_on_release: nonexistent directory..

Originally Posted by harry_e20000 View Post
Thanks boss..tried it and it worked but on opening xterminal i get cannot create directory /dev/cgroup/ermission denied
-sh: /home/user/. bashrc: line 1:cannot create /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/2095/tasks: nonexistent directory
-sh: /home/user/ .bashrc: line 1: cannot create /dev/cgroup/cpu/user/2095/notify_on_release: nonexistent directory..
Sounds like fallout from one of the dubious speed/battery patches you've installed...

The Following User Says Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
I thought as much..but it was wiped out..how do I remove these ugly write ups from my terminal screen

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
I thought as much..but it was wiped out..how do I remove these ugly write ups from my terminal screen
I guess removing /home/user/.bashrc will do the trick..

If you've been messing around so much with the N900 (yes, I mean installing all those crap-patches), I would strongly suggest you completely reflash the N900, not just the rootfs. Who knows what you have under /home or /opt, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
I'd guess you'd want to edit the /home/user/.bashrc file and remove/comment the offending line by putting a "#" character at the start of it...

Otherwise, have a look in the relevant thread - I'm sure this has come up before...

The Following User Says Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post: