Posts: 13 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
EDIT: I felt I should add that there are probably much more to the issue than the things I just said; I have that unfortunate characteristic of talking about things I'm not entirely familiar with.
I think this is a pretty close analysis of the situation Thoke, as much as you didn't know.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Hello Stezz and welcome home!

Please don't be a guest, leave some footprints!

I would be more than happy to give some of your staff moderation rights in the Jolla and SailfishOS specific parts - just drop me an email.

Also shoot ideas about forum structures you'd like to see.

I once managed a multi-forum installation which was crafted by hand with BB but do not know about a up2date piece of software doing this to our needs, your needs.

We were discussing possibilities to keep the community together, undeniable truth is that media is talking about Jolla as the N9 and N900 successor. I did not understand why meego forums was needed... most of the "good" stuff happened over here anyways. So is it with sailfish now, it started with news aggregation and now becoming a forumized bugtracker already.

From my point of view:
This community is willing to grow in your direction with all it takes to become "official" BUT will never forget about their past. We have been abandoned twice (feels like twice!) and we are still here, even growing.

Don't hesitate to contact the community council for ideas and options.

Chem|st

Community Council Chairman
Member of the Hildon Foundation Board of Directors
Talkmaster of Maemo.org

The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
How many of you are using the Jolla users forums?

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
Zero? since Jolla hasn't created such thing yet?

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Not that many and it's more of one big anticipation thread spread into 30 thread. This is Sparta... Sorry Maemo.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

You mean jollausers.com I presume. I lurked for a while, but there isn't much content there. I personally always end up coming back here. I like TMO's critical and helpful audience. I dislike the trolls, but there are those everywhere.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Id rather stay on here with the jolla staff talking on here. I mean if it wasn't for w00t and a few others, we might be totally in the dark, but they've been happy to answer any questions. I think thats been my favourite part of the whole (community) experience so far, if they want to prove there not just a faceless corporation then they should go to the people.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
Hello Stezz and welcome home!

Please don't be a guest, leave some footprints!
Thanks, I have already I guess...

I would be more than happy to give some of your staff moderation rights in the Jolla and SailfishOS specific parts - just drop me an email.

Also shoot ideas about forum structures you'd like to see.
Thanks again

We were discussing possibilities to keep the community together, undeniable truth is that media is talking about Jolla as the N9 and N900 successor. I did not understand why meego forums was needed... most of the "good" stuff happened over here anyways. So is it with sailfish now, it started with news aggregation and now becoming a forumized bugtracker already.
Sure, I am not after breaking anything, I think (as said already) that this is a nice place to be and talk to anyone who is interested in Jolla and other things. Who is not interested in the other things might want to popup on a different forum which might be more Jolla specific.

This community is willing to grow in your direction with all it takes to become "official" BUT will never forget about their past. We have been abandoned twice (feels like twice!) and we are still here, even growing.
I know that you won't forget the past (me neither, without my past I wouldn't be who I am in the future) and one side that makes me happy and on the other side it scares me. Sometimes we need to move on, not to forget and somehow I feel that "staying" here would not help to move on.

In lots of posts (Zogg, joerg, ...) I felt like there is a gigantic assumption, that this is the only place and the only community that could ever exist around OSSO/Maemo/MeeGo/Mer/Nemo/Sailfish.

There are many kinds of communities and each of them is intersecting with many others.

What keeps communities together is an idea, a dream, a concrete piece of something, a will to do something new or different (or just keeping doing things exactly the same).

I am open to different kinds of communities that don't exclude each other but rather have plenty of points of contacts and intersection.

Certainly Jolla/Sailfish community has and will have plenty of those with this still I feel that there will be also other kind of people (that don't know it yet).

When I hear that it is impossible to build (or to let build itself) another community around another idea I hear the same thing that I heard when I was told that it is impossible to make a smartphone with 80 guys and girls. "It's just impossible" "You are going to fail" "It will never ever work" are things that I don't understand. "It's difficult" "It's going to take time" "It's going to be painful" "You will lose you hair" Are things I understand better and I can cope with.

Then of course I might be completely wrong as I have been many times and I will take that as a lesson for the future. But I might also be somehow right (or close to that) and we will need just some adjustments as we go.

There are not a lot of things that are impossible when there is passion and belief in some idea and Jolla is an example of that.

Don't hesitate to contact the community council for ideas and options.
I think the best way to do this is in the open.

Stezz

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to stezz For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
@Stefano,

Firstly I want to thank-you for so quickly responding to my pleas to engage in this thread, it's turned out to be way more constructive/engaging than I ever imagined.
I had pledged to stay away from maemo.org for approx. 1mth just before reaching out to you (too much happening IRL), but then I caught your relatively quick response the other day, & since then this thread (among others) has kept me anchored here, it's a sickness

Personally I think it's good idea to make a clean break...
It makes more sense to have a completely new community infra that's closely modelled on maemo.org, but without all the baggage & interest groups.
It gives Jolla & us (Maemo 4-6x users/devs) the chance to start completely from scratch, & :. carefully select only components that we think are most optimal for our interaction/support needs.
That doesn't mean there has to be a complete separation, I think there should still be syndication on as many data points as is feasible/practical.

I also think it should ultimately become a NFP/community-structured entity, similar to the Hildon Foundation...
One that sits on a domain "roughly like" mer-project.org, or some other name that nicely abstracts MeR/Nemo/Plasma?/Sailfish.
It probably won't be practical for it to start out as a entity similar to the Hildon Foundation, but IMO that should be the longer-term goal.

I'd still like to see close co-operation between the new entity/infra & HF/maemo.org, shared coding comps & other similar such programs etc.
And certainly it'd be nice if Jolla/Partners could sometimes help with part of the funding for Hildon Foundation, when(if) things are looking more stable for you guys.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-12-03 at 08:31. Reason: typo

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
The Hildon Foundation is maemo community's cashier, nothing more nothing less. HiFo doesn't run this forum or any other of the maemo.org infra, it only *pays* for it (basically).

And why would Jolla want to help with funding of HiFo? I stated clearly that we don't need that.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post: