Notices

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
just ... WOW!

Cool story, bro'! And I DON'T mean that sartastically!

Please read my blog: "PeakMobility", which deals with MeeGo/Maemo, Windows Phone and mobile technology in general from a hedonistic user point-of-view: http://peakmob.blogspot.com/

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Romania
hmm... after reading this I'm going to install smscon right away

If the software is installed to /home/users then it will remain after a reflash.

Posts: 200 | Thanked: 300 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ The Netherlands
YES, we have a success story!

Saturn (developer of SMSCON-editor) has pointed me to this post. I'm the developer of SMSCON. Due to lack of time & other reasons I wasn't present on this forum for some time.

Great succes indeed, finally we have a successful story! I'm very, very pleased that SMSCON did work for you and did get your phone back. Luckily that guy was cooperative. He probably feld the heat that he was tracked by you and you could give him strong evidence...

I will post in the official SMSCON thread more info for the upcoming 0.8 version of SMSCON & SMSCON-editor.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to digitalvoid For This Useful Post:
Posts: 200 | Thanked: 300 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by [DarkGUNMAN] View Post
If the software is installed to /home/users then it will remain after a reflash.
I will indeed remain but after a reflash it won't automatically start when the device boots... so no working smscon...

Did you took the photos of thieves to the police and if, what did they do?

Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
Originally Posted by digitalvoid View Post
I will indeed remain but after a reflash it won't automatically start when the device boots... so no working smscon...
IIRC, windows mobile 6 used to have an developed by the guys at xda-developers that performed like SMSCon. But it had a feature whereby the software would be active even after a reset (and I think, but not sure reflash) .
I will try to remember/google the app and post it here, maybe it can give you some ideas? Or is it useless as wm6 and maemo are as different as the sun and moon?

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Thanks for the post. I've now installed SMSCon (and the Editor) and can gladly say, that it is working just fine. I had some trouble getting the e-mail to work but the port was wrong so it was as easy as that.

And please do note : once you've got the SSH-connection to work you can control the device from that server, that you've set up. The connection is:

Code:
ssh -p 8080 localhost -l root
It's visible in the Wiki, please do read that throughly. Again, thank you for posting this post. Really useful, since, as already mentioned, SMSCon-dev's now have a successful story to refer to and users can trust on the software.

For all of you who wondered:

Of course I gave the police the photos.

This story was pretty funny by itself, since they first asked me to print the photos and send them via (good old fashion) post.
It took me some time to convinced the officer that a digital file is best for everybody (exif, face recognition software, a bit faster etc.) until he was willing to give me an e-mail address.
(I'm not sure if it's a policy or technical difficulty but apparently they don't communicate with citizen via e-mail in the police here).

Anyway I promise to keep this thread updated with the following developments but it might take some time.

And I want to thank everybody for the warm feedbacks. I was a bit overwhelmed to see so quickly so many positive replies.

have a lovely day.

Posts: 212 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on May 2010 @ India
MORAL of the story.
1.install SMS con if you dont have one.I am going to do that.
2.please believe that police response is same everywhere in the world.I really admire INDIAN police that,though they have shown lots of first information reports of stolen mobiles ,at least one constable tried his best to get the mobile (N96) back.later he concluded that it might have been dismantled and sold parts wise
3.keep your mobile safe atleast for your private files.I lost three nokias in a row.
4.lets thank frank and saturn.

Last edited by udaychaitanya16; 2011-03-07 at 15:01.