Notices

Newest (January 2012) Gcompris is now on extras-devel.
GCompris is a high quality educational software suite comprising of numerous activities for children aged 2 to 10. Some of the activities are game orientated, but nonetheless still educational.
-- http://gcompris.net/

At least fresh installing works, let me know if there are problems with upgrading existing one.

Game play video: http://youtu.be/jxCzgEGO4f8

This version contains 124 activities (nothing dropped yet), some of them are not working on N900:

*Throwing ball: keyboard doesn't have two shifts

*Watering can and sweeping game: On touchscreen, moving mouse pointer is always dragging (i.e. mouse button is also down)
-> Game should accept dragging as moving

*Double clicking (at least in two games) is hard, and generally not used on touchscreen devices.

Let me know if there are more non-functional games (and what to do for them to keep them playable and fun)

If you get game crashing, start from terminal and try to reproduce it, then post logs:
Code:
/opt/gcompris/games/gcompris
Attached Images

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2012 @ suedbaden
Hi
I have updated gcompris on my n900 without succses so i have it reinstalled. Now gcopmpris starts and give me the message:
couldn't find or load the file boardicons/puzzles.svg
gcompris starts without icons. The folder boardicons ditn't exists, puzzles.svg exist in opt/gcompris/share/gcompris/boards/
Creating a symbolic link ditn't solve the problem.

Originally Posted by pterozaurus View Post
Hi
I have updated gcompris on my n900 without succses so i have it reinstalled. Now gcopmpris starts and give me the message:
couldn't find or load the file boardicons/puzzles.svg
gcompris starts without icons. The folder boardicons ditn't exists, puzzles.svg exist in opt/gcompris/share/gcompris/boards/
Creating a symbolic link ditn't solve the problem.
I think old gcompris uses directory 'boardicons' and new 'boards'.

Check you have new version for gcompris and data installed
Code:
apt-cache policy gcompris gcompris-data
Both should be: Installed: 12.01-maemo4

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2012 @ suedbaden
Hello AapoRantalainen,
gcompris and gcompris-data both are the version 12.01-maemo4

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Sorry to revive a year old thread...

I installed Gcomprid for my kids the other day and found that it conflicts with both osso-chess and libre-chess. The reason is the conflict between gnuchess and gnuchess-opt required by the respective packages. Aapo, you've released both Gcompris and libre-chess to the wild, is there a way to make them live together in harmony?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Sorry to revive a year old thread...

I installed Gcomprid for my kids the other day and found that it conflicts with both osso-chess and libre-chess. The reason is the conflict between gnuchess and gnuchess-opt required by the respective packages. Aapo, you've released both Gcompris and libre-chess to the wild, is there a way to make them live together in harmony?
@pichlo, try the new version: http://maemo.org/packages/package_in.../12.11-maemo1/

Just upgraded to 12.11, still conflicts with both chess programs.
Gcompris depends on gnuchess-opt.
Both chess programs depend on gnuchess.
Perhaps Gcompris could depend on either gnuchess or gnuchess-opt?

After last upgrade, gcompris crashes here, just after initial screen (with information about loading all sub-games):

Code:
exec_prefix              = NONE
package_data_dir         = /opt/gcompris/share/gcompris/boards
package_skin_dir         = /opt/gcompris/share/gcompris/boards/skins
package_menu_dir         = /opt/gcompris/share/gcompris/boards
package_locale_dir       = /opt/gcompris/share/locale
package_plugin_dir       = /opt/gcompris/lib/gcompris
package_python_plugin_dir= /opt/gcompris/share/gcompris/python
user_dir                 = /home/user/My GCompris
Infos:
   Config dir '/home/user/.config/gcompris'
   Users dir '/home/user/gcompris'
   Database '/home/user/.config/gcompris/gcompris_sqlite.db'
parser error : EntityRef: expecting ';'
parser error : EntityRef: expecting ';'
/opt/gcompris/share/gcompris/python/explore.py:545: Warning: 'with' will become a reserved keyword in Python 2.6
sys:1: RuntimeWarning: tp_compare didn't return -1 or -2 for exception
/opt/gcompris/share/gcompris/python/explore.py:545: Warning: 'with' will become a reserved keyword in Python 2.6
Exception exceptions.SyntaxError: ('invalid syntax', ('/opt/gcompris/share/gcompris/python/explore.py', 545, 21, "            with open(gcompris.DATA_DIR + '/' + self.gcomprisBoard.name + '/content.desktop.in', 'wb') as configfile:\n")) in 'garbage collection' ignored
Fatal Python error: unexpected exception during garbage collection
Aborted
Any ideas?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

NAK, works fine here.

New version from upstream (12.11) with 136 activities. I tried to fix gnuchess dependency, but made mistake.

-maemo2 is already built but waiting to the repository. It contains also fix for explore.py:545. And fix for three other games: braille_alphabets braille_lotto color_mix.

There are still some games which are not working, and some which are not tested on N900.

List of known issues:
*Falling words: can't write words with double letters (e.g. "less")

*Watering can and sweeping game: Currently game can't be played (expects mouse movement without dragging)

*Miner: can't be played, needs mouse wheel

Report more. I will then check what I can fix or if upstream is interested to fix or should they be dropped entirely from maemo-version.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AapoRantalainen For This Useful Post: