Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Actually it's 2x as fast in 3D.
Chip spec wise yes. But 3GS has the SGX535 gpu heavily underclocked as far as I know. To a quarter of its actual frequency. Where as N900's SGX530 is clocked at full speed. So technically N900's GPU is faster than iPhone 3GS.

Fluidity has nothing to do with HW. Maemo 5 is the issue. If Maemo 5 had QT4.6 and if the gui was based on that also, it would be far smoother. Try the QT4.6 demos to see for yourself. I expect Meego to be very fuild.

Last edited by jakiman; 2010-02-26 at 19:56.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by slender View Post
btw. Even single tasking is sometimes bit jerky (low fps on animations, animation stutters, slow rotation, kinetic scrolling in photo/albums) :|
Really? I have to find out how you were able to test this on an N900. I mean, when even if I close all of my GUI applications and stop all desktop widgets, I can run "top" in the terminal and still see hundreds of running applications.

I'm being sarcastic of course, since there's no possible way to do "single tasking" as you put it on any modern computer, including the N900. Just because you close your GUI apps doesn't mean anything.

Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Chip spec wise yes. But 3GS has the SGX535 gpu heavily underclocked as far as I know. To a quarter of its actual frequency. Where as N900's SGX530 is clocked at full speed. So technically N900's GPU is faster than iPhone 3GS.
Any source on the underclocked GPU? Would love to see some data on it, if we got the frequencies, we could get some calculations done.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Posts: 171 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bristol, uk
Of the two touchscreens for me the n900 is definately better to use in terms of versatility - being able to use stylus, finger or fingernail rather than always having to use finger with iphone - fluidity may better but at the end of the day it's form over function in that appley way..

The Following User Says Thank You to zail For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
Any source on the underclocked GPU? Would love to see some data on it, if we got the frequencies, we could get some calculations done.
It's been discussed here.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=492339

http://www.hardcoreware.net/graphics...-to-psp-to-ds/

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ogahyellow View Post
How long has Maemo been under development? Seriously...Maemo had at least 2-3 years head start...
it is time multiplied with available resources. Maemo have had really scarse resources for long
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Enyibinakata View Post
[...] function over form.
Which reminds me that "function over substance" is a strong meme these days. I'm glad the N900 incorporates both to a satisfying extent. At least for me.

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sao Paulo, Brazil
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Fluidity has nothing to do with HW. Maemo 5 is the issue. If Maemo 5 had QT4.6 and if the gui was based on that also, it would be far smoother. Try the QT4.6 demos to see for yourself. I expect Meego to be very fuild.
I agree with that: Maemo 5 is the issue. Everyone who tried the Airport game (from Ovi Store) before the firmware update to version 1.2009-44 and after that, noticed the change in the gaming experience. It was much better than before the update.

Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
I'd rather have functionality over just eye-candy and speed.

Besides, I think the N900 can compete with the iPhone in terms of speed and definitely in terms of looks. Maemo 5 core programs look really good, only 3rd party programs sometimes stand out in a bad way.

All in all the N900 offers such functionality, that if anyone's considering both phones, I opt them to go for the iPhone. The N900 would be lost on them. I sell mobiles for a living.

Sorry, but I read the whole thread... am I the only one who thinks the Maemo 5 OS *IS* very fluid and has no problem with it? It seems to me that the title of this thread begs the question...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to captainqtp For This Useful Post: