Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by tori View Post
... and how do I log out as a root? (sorry I'm lay linux)

Thanks
Typing "exit" in the root xterm is the easiest way to do the trick. Mind you, the only way you'll notice it, is the prompt changing from # back to $.

On second thought, if you're that new to Linux, it might be a good idea just to stay away from root; very bad things will happen to your tablet. Note that I wrote "will", not "can".

May I recommend a rather good book about Linux, "Linux In a Nutshell" from O'Reilly? It's old and therefore focuses on content, rather than bling. It's also almost exclusively about the major shells (command line interfaces) in Linux and it will teach you why root will do bad things.

It taught me preciously little however, because I have the stupid habit of doing things first and then go look them up in the book which, quite unsurprisingly, is not the right way to go. I'm kinda hoping you'll do as I say and not as I do...

Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
what I did:

1.Flushed to the new OS2008
<snip>
It's FLASHED
PLEASE use the Wiki

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Typing "exit" in the root xterm is the easiest way to do the trick. Mind you, the only way you'll notice it, is the prompt changing from # back to $.

On second thought, if you're that new to Linux, it might be a good idea just to stay away from root; very bad things will happen to your tablet. Note that I wrote "will", not "can".

May I recommend a rather good book about Linux, "Linux In a Nutshell" from O'Reilly? It's old and therefore focuses on content, rather than bling. It's also almost exclusively about the major shells (command line interfaces) in Linux and it will teach you why root will do bad things.

It taught me preciously little however, because I have the stupid habit of doing things first and then go look them up in the book which, quite unsurprisingly, is not the right way to go. I'm kinda hoping you'll do as I say and not as I do...

Thankyou very much
and yes I'm going to try learning this subject till I have no fear playing with the commands.

Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
It's FLASHED
ok, let it be Flashed.. just don't be hungry

(Angry)

Just take it as a joke, and try staying happy please

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by gemniii42 View Post
It's FLASHED
Actually, given what I read here, the OP wasn't very wrong...

Thankyou very much
and yes I'm going to try learning this subject till I have no fear playing with the commands.
Fear is good. Just play around; as long as you aren't root, kept backups of irreplaceable data and know how to re-flash your device, you can't really destroy your tablet. Only lose time...