Active Topics

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Search before you post please.
http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/view/share_gps/

talk threads merged (exgps, bluetooth gps unit emulation)

Last edited by chemist; 2010-04-19 at 10:38.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by chemist View Post

Thanks for the info.
But I did search, and do not appreciate the false assumption.
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by eitama View Post
But I did search, and do not appreciate the false assumption.
Then I may assume that you didn't try very hard because I found all three threads in brainstorm and the connected brainstorm.
I am not here to offend anybody but to look after the place.
I try to be nice and polite. Not answering this comment wouldn't be polite but I am missing the use of it apart of telling you off or explain you how it works. You don't have to explain yourself as there is nothing to explain - you did start the third thread about export/share-gps without even reading the rules for brainstorm.

Feel free to contribute to this thread/brainstorm and make sure you follow the rules and search for your issue/idea before you start a new thread, please.

Originally Posted by extechop View Post
What kind of help do you require?

If it's a matter of information, I believe you'll find all the info you need on the subject here. Probably generating GGA sentences would be sufficient, but of course also looping through RMC and GLL should not hurt, either, and make it a bit more universal.

Maybe you should make the sentences generated and frequency of updates configurable?
Hey mate,
Thanks for the info!

I have managed to get one step further.
So far, when the N95 connected to the n900 for gps info,
it redisplayed the bluetooth menu after 5 seconds to choose an external gps. I put some prints on the N900 python script, and I saw a message $PNOK from N95, I understand I need to answer this message with an OK, and so I did, and now the N95 says "Calculating GPS data" which is good!
But after 10 seconds the N95 says "GPS does not work properly in closed buildings" or such line i don't remember it.
The information I was trying to send is an example line of GGA in a loop, but it's not enough.

I thought there is no negotiation to this, but apparently there is!
I can't find anywhere on the N900 a direct NMEA feed from the GPS, for example on the N810 there was /dev/gps or something like that (i never had N810).

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by chemist View Post

I did. Searching for keywords "gps bluetooth" brings up 500 finds, with this thread (currently) somewhere on the second page — sorry, I just missed it. Searching for "gps emulation" did not seem to bring up this thread before it got merged with the thread I ended up starting.

Never mind that, what is the current consensus, how should we proceed? I personally would suggest to start with the bluetooth version, and then expand from that.

I put some prints on the N900 python script, and I saw a message $PNOK from N95, I understand I need to answer this message with an OK, and so I did, and now the N95 says "Calculating GPS data" which is good! But after 10 seconds the N95 says "GPS does not work properly in closed buildings" or such line i don't remember it. The information I was trying to send is an example line of GGA in a loop, but it's not enough.
Well, did the GGA line include valid coordinates, what was it exactly? One thing might be that your GGA message included data indicating the GPS unit does not have accurate coordinates, ie. we might be indoors. How often did you print it? Have you considered also sending GPRMC, GPGSV, and GPGSA messages?

I thought there is no negotiation to this, but apparently there is!
The NMEA standard itself doesn't really have negotiation, but PNOK is a proprietary Nokia extension which effectively does this. I suspect the N95 is trying to figure out if it is talking to a Nokia GPS unit or PSY?

Well, did the GGA line include valid coordinates, what was it exactly? One thing might be that your GGA message included data indicating the GPS unit does not have accurate coordinates, ie. we might be indoors. How often did you print it? Have you considered also sending GPRMC, GPGSV, and GPGSA messages?

The NMEA standard itself doesn't really have negotiation, but PNOK is a proprietary Nokia extension which effectively does this. I suspect the N95 is trying to figure out if it is talking to a Nokia GPS unit or PSY?
Well I am trying to emulate an external gps not made by nokia, so I will drop the PNOK negotiation, and i'll focus more on message types. I'll see where this leads me.
I am sending the messages every second, and the message was one i copied from a real gps fix from my external gps unit.

Well I am trying to emulate an external gps not made by nokia, so I will drop the PNOK negotiation, and i'll focus more on message types. I'll see where this leads me. I am sending the messages every second, and the message was one i copied from a real gps fix from my external gps unit.
So, have you been able to make progress with this?
Or, are there more promising paths to take?

So, have you been able to make progress with this?
Or, are there more promising paths to take?
Well it's definetly doable, but I neglected the project cause I didn't have time, and preffered to put the time I do have into learning Qt Mobility SDK.

Once I master that, i'll get back to this, but this time not using python.

Tags
bluetooth gps, gps, usb gps