Poll: Are you moving to OS2008 now or waiting for the official release?
Poll Options
Are you moving to OS2008 now or waiting for the official release?

I'll wait for the official release. Currently Im happy with my N800, and this way everything will have been gone over and hopefully any major bugs will be known.

Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
I was anxious about taking the plunge and exposing my N800 to an OS not officially released by Nokia. I spent yesterday watching the ITT threads about OS2008, waiting for someone to complain.

Over 400 postings later, OS2008 on an N800 doesn't appear to have blown up on anyone. I took the plunge this morning. It was relatively easy and straight forward. In the world of UNIX, it doesn't get much easier than that. Installing Openbox/Rox/KDE on a N800 looks far more detailed, so I haven't taken that plunge.

So far, I have no regrets. I might have waited longer, but I think it'll be another month or more before we see an official OS2008 release from Nokia for the N800. I'm excited about my N810 pre-order as well, but I'm hoping OS2008 on my N800 will keep me occupied until the N810 ships (Still no idea when, but told "ETA 11/23" from MCO).

I'd like someone to patch OS2008 to allow me to boot into OS2008 (flash) or OS2007 (internal SDHC).

I think there should be another item:

Wait until more apps come out.

Honestly I bought this for internet only but when I found out the potential for this device to do more than I was hooked. Now using the n800 for about 6 months I can't say its been an easy transition from hundreds windoze and palm apps to a few handfull. Also the apps that do come out aren't for the common end user. Still waiting for a word processor, pim, bible, money programs. They just aren't there yet.

Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by basco View Post
Still waiting for a word processor, pim, bible, money programs. They just aren't there yet.
Under OS2007, I was using Abiword 2.2.7 (word), GPE calendar/contacts (PIM), Rapier (bible) and Gnumeric (spreadsheet/finance). OS2007 had a pretty comprehensive app catalog if you added all the right repositories or dug around for packages.

I wonder how long it'll be before we see OS2008 looking as well as OS2007 does?

Last edited by promethh; 2007-11-15 at 16:54. Reason: "contacts" not "contracts" (got "contracts" on the brain this morning after being on hold with SUN)

Originally Posted by promethh View Post
Under OS2007, I was using Abiword 2.2.7 (word), GPE calendar/contacts (PIM), Rapier (bible) and Gnumeric (spreadsheet/finance). OS2007 had a pretty comprehensive app catalog if you added all the right repositories or dug around for packages.

I wonder how long it'll be before we see OS2008 looking as well as OS2007 does?
I agree that these work but not effectively. Abiword is not meant for a n800, GPE is beta and choc full of bugs, Rapier is a reader only, Gnumeric is really not on my list unless you use it for money and a good program, but still not money program.

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by basco View Post
I think there should be another item:

Wait until more apps come out.
Indeed, I mostly use standard apps, but I need kagu before I upgrade. Having a jablet.net account means that I no longer need pidgin, but I need my mp3s

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by pixelseventy2 View Post
Indeed, I mostly use standard apps, but I need kagu before I upgrade. Having a jablet.net account means that I no longer need pidgin, but I need my mp3s
Media player can't play mp3s?

(By the way, Kagu already works on ITOS2008.)

Last edited by zerojay; 2007-11-15 at 19:40.

Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Media player can't play mp3s?
Yes, but it lacks the nice interface of Kagu. It's fine for playing longer podcasts, but not for listening to custom playlists

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
(By the way, Kagu already works on ITOS2008.)
Oh. Good I looked on maemo downloads and it wasn't there ...

The application manager is much better than in OS2007. For example after you install an application, it leaves the list scrolled down to the same point in the list that you were at. In OS2007 it would be really bloody annoying to install multiple apps via the app manager, as it would scroll back to the top of the list each time!

Of course using apt-get was always an option, but its almost as annoying if you don't have a bluetooth keyboard handy.

Also, if you have a problem with repositories, then it actually TELLS you which one is having a problem and allows you to edit it! In OS2007 it would just error and you'd not have a clue what was going wrong.