Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I am planning to buy a navigation service. But the problem is do i buy the wayfinder and hope it is going to br there in fremantle or just wait for nokia maps?

why keep it a secret?

I would be very surprised if they didn't use Nokia Maps on Fremantle, or at least the version after that (Harmattan is it?).

Nokia spent literally billions of euros buying the map data company Navteq, they must surely want to use that to their advantage on their products.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
why keep it a secret?
Because it's really not relevant to developers, and the only things that've been released have been development and SDK related.

Anyway, all signs (and sources) point to Nokia Maps.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Because it's really not relevant to developers...
It is if you're developing a Navigation app...

sachin007 I have had WayFinder née Navicore since day 1. In the beginning I was very enthusiastic and used it daily for about a month. During the next 2 years I have only used it maybe 8 or 9 times... It is that painful an interface.
Maps and POI's have not been updated significantly in all that time either.

I guess what I'm saying is I would not consider the full featured WayFinder on the tablets as it is now, in the same league as even the cheapest PNA.
WayFinder is not worthy of consideration, IMHO.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-05-08 at 03:11.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
It is if you're developing a Navigation app...
How, exactly? The location APIs are available, whatever mapping application Nokia builds on top of that is irrelevant to other mapping applications.

How, exactly? The location APIs are available, whatever mapping application Nokia builds on top of that is irrelevant to other mapping applications.
Why invest time and money into something if Nokia will be giving it away with the device?

This also goes back to, and supports btw, your "blessed" app argument. Why deveklop a commercial app that will compete with an app that was pre-ordained by the device manufacturer.

Margins are small at even a $100 a pop.
At the same time, people will need help in justifing a purchase like a not yet named Nokia handheld device that is also not a phone.

TomTom could very easily be ported to freemantle, or even bora for that matter.
TomTom has been doing it for years for WinMo and Palm devices and it has provided new versions within weeks of OS upgrades.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-05-08 at 04:36.

Why invest time and money into something if Nokia will be giving it away with the device?
Ah, commercial developers. That's an entirely different subject from community developers.

This also goes back to, and supports btw, your "blessed" app argument. Why deveklop a commercial app that will compete with an app that was pre-ordained by the device manufacturer.
Let's be clear, when I talk about development and developers, I am almost never talking about the commercial sort unless I explicitly say so. Community developers are the only thing really worth discussing in the community (especially from the standpoint of what's released with SDKs). Commercial developers have an entirely separate support relationship with Nokia to community developers, and you can trust that a commercial developer will be well aware of what's going to be offered on the platform by the OEM if they're planning an application like this.

You and I aren't involved in the commercial support structure nor the relationship between Nokia and commercial developers, nor do we have any control over it or input for it. Community development and developers, on the other hand, we do. So it's not worth wasting much breath on the former.

Margins are small at even a $100 a pop.
At the same time, people will need help in justifing a purchase like a not yet named Nokia handheld device that is also not a phone.
Really, truly, commercial developers are not our concern here. They have their own support channels with access to their own information.

Give me a justifiable example of a community mapping application that would care about what mapping software Nokia's bundling with the platform (beyond the fact that they will be bundling something) and you might just have a point, but I'll make it easy, you can't because there isn't.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Ah, commercial developers. That's an entirely different subject from community developers.

Let's be clear, when I talk about development and developers, I am almost never talking about the commercial sort unless I explicitly say so...

...Give me a justifiable example of a community mapping application that would care about what mapping software Nokia's bundling with the platform (beyond the fact that they will be bundling something) and you might just have a point, but I'll make it easy, you can't because there isn't.
Thanks for making it easy for me...

BTW, it could have been a lot easier for both of us had you qualified that word in the first place.

The valid point that I thought sachin007 raised was that it is difficult for a consumer to budget money for the future purchase of a device without knowing what tasks that device can perform or; why waste money on a separate device now if the next Maemo device can perform the same functions.

However, if I knew you wanted to play a game of checkers over language skills... I would have brought a comfortable chair.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
BTW, it could have been a lot easier for both of us had you qualified that word in the first place.
You made assumptions about what you thought "developers" meant, and I made assumptions about what I thought "developers" meant (honestly, I don't think about commercial developers, the possibility of somebody assuming I meant commercial efforts didn't even cross my mind). It really sounds like we're even.

The valid point that I thought sachin007 raised was that it is difficult for a consumer to budget money for the future purchase of a device without knowing what tasks that device can perform or; why waste money on a separate device now if the next Maemo device can perform the same functions.
. . . and? Companies often leave off announcements for a while for a lot of different reasons. Fact is, these sort of strategies tend to help their bottom line more than they inconvenience a few consumer's purchasing decisions.

Really, whatever, all signs seem to point to Nokia Maps being bundled on the next device and you can make whatever purchasing decision you want based on that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Regarding commercial developers, there is plenty of room for competition with built-in map apps. Nokia Maps comes with every Nokia smartphone, but there are many commercial third party S60 apps available as alternatives.

If Maemo devices sell well, I'm sure third party publishers would release rival map software whether or not the devices come with Nokia Maps.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post: