Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
It would be wonderful if someone could port the NanoGL wrapper to Maemo 5.

The code comes originally from the S60 ports of the Quake engines, and then it was modified by "Pickle" (1) (2) to run Quake 3 on the Pandora.

I can't find Pickle's source code, but it seems to me someone needs to get that library ported for Fremantle, so people can compile OpenGL games / applications for Fremantle.

Last edited by qole; 2009-05-20 at 23:59. Reason: S60 Quake link

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Very interesting. One other problem is that apparently clutter is only supported way to get acceleration. When using Opengl ES directly hildon-desktop has to be shutdown first. I remember Kate Alhola mentioning it somewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Yikes. I hope higher level GL access (like via Qt or sorts) gets wrapped automatically or made coexist with the desktop, switching back and forth manually would be a pain.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
Very interesting. One other problem is that apparently clutter is only supported way to get acceleration. When using Opengl ES directly hildon-desktop has to be shutdown first. I remember Kate Alhola mentioning it somewhere.
I really, really hope that's not true anymore.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
One other problem is that apparently clutter is only supported way to get acceleration. When using Opengl ES directly hildon-desktop has to be shutdown first. I remember Kate Alhola mentioning it somewhere.
mikkov: can you track that down for me? If you can find it, I think I should raise a bug right now, because this will really get application porters upset in the future.

I don't think the Maemo SW developers quite understand how upset developers will be if they are told that they must rewrite their OpenGL applications for Clutter to use hardware graphics acceleration.

I certainly don't want to have to write a hack that shuts down the desktop (and all the functionality that comes with it) just to play a game.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by qole View Post
mikkov: can you track that down for me?
I believe this discussion on Maemo developers may be relevant.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
This post from March is especially relevant:

Originally Posted by Kate Alhola
I have tried and got both native OpenGL-ES2.0 applications and Qt4.5 OpenGL-ES2.0 applications working together with Hildon desktop composite window manager.

I tried same thing with clutter but there is some issue with it. I have not yet had time to investigate more, i just returned from my Bossa conference trip.

We are here considering to set up wiki pages avbout how to use 3d acceleration in Fremantle and collect there instructions needed to get it running.

Kate
This post is puzzling and a bit unsettling, however:

Originally Posted by Kimmo Hämäläinen
As Kate has already proven, multi-context works.
But as long as you have hildon-desktop running in the background, you will not render directly to the screen even if you use Clutter/QtGraphicsView/EGL+OpenGLES2.0/whatnot in your application. When hildon-desktop is running, it is the only one drawing on the screen (with the exception of XVideo). So, killing hildon-desktop is the only way to get direct rendering to the screen at the moment. (We might have something more elegant for this in the future...)
It sounds like OpenGL will work, but hildon-desktop "stands in the middle" and does the actual rendering for your app. So OpenGL apps may need to kill the desktop to get decent rendering speeds.

EDIT: Kimmo gives the gritty details about the performance impact of this in this post. Most of it is over my head, but delays of 10-25ms don't sound stellar.

Last edited by qole; 2009-06-02 at 22:58. Reason: The pipermail links CHANGED!? WTF?!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Here's the critical quote:
killing hildon-desktop is the only way to get direct rendering to the screen at the moment. (We might have something more elegant for this in the future...)
I assume that this is similar issue as using desktop effects and 3d apps at same time in linux pc. My experience is that it just doesn't work very well or at all. DRI2 should helping here

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
In extras-devel there is this nice game call hex-a-hop, which afaik is pure OpenGL ES. It installs and plays nicely. At full screen, but just like any other Fremantle app, no difference there. Without the usual navigation bar though, but just like the SDL games, and there is a way to get off the app at any moment.

Intrigued by this thread I did some tests and I found no problematic situation e.g.

- Media Player keeps your music in the background.
- IM and email notifications come and go as usual.

So it looks like the behavior is more or less the same than with Diablo SDL games. Please port/write more OpenGL ES apps!

Tags
fremantle, n900, nanogl, opengl