I know it's popular at the moment to lay all the blame at Elop or at Nokia management (current or past). But maybe the truth is really that MeeGo was just to late and not good enough?

The impression that I get from various threads here and elsewhere is that at the moment MeeGo is still nowhere near ready, and an end-user ready release is at least another 6 months away. Now in the alternative world were Nokia did decide to ride it out with MeeGo, by the time it's finally market ready (autumn? winter?), was it actually going to be better for mass market end users than the iPhone 5 or the Samsung and HTC Android 3.x devices it would be competing against? Somehow I doubt it.

Of course, I don't believe that Nokia WP7 devices are anywhere near ready yet, and they may take even longer to get on the market. So it's not like I'm endorsing this move. All I'm saying is, maybe Nokia's fate was already sealed a long time ago. Maybe the only way they could have turned the tide was if they had reacted faster, developed faster, delivered faster than they could.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pxa270 For This Useful Post:
I think you'll find that platforms that never have a product released for them invariably fail.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elfforkusu For This Useful Post:
was android perfect upon its release? how is it doing today?

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
That's the point, I assume that Meego is too late and too weak at the moment. I assumed that Elop was brought in to fix the SW development problems Nokia has. I assumed Nokia has an execution problem and a new CEO is capable to fix that. I bought into the strategy Qt/Symbian/Meego.

Elop has been with Nokia for how long, 5 months now?

And now he kills their existing smart phone business (based on low to mid range Symbian), and concedes the high end.

And Nokia's first WP7 phone will be out late 2011. Sell in numbers 2012??? Good luck...

I am not a Nokia insider, but let me tell you something: I believe that a lot of Nokia employees will be fed up with this new direction. Nokia is also said to lay off thousands of employees. Does anyone believe that under these circumstances Nokia's execution will be improved?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cBeam For This Useful Post:
When the iphone was release, it changed the landscape. In 2 years, Android had become the platform. Has WP7 done anything that makes anyone think it has the capacity to do what the iphone and Android has done/are doing? WP7 has less features than systems older than it.

Nokia has stated that 2011/12 are to be transitive years. So at best, it will be 2013 before they show something wizbang that might change the landscape. You're telling me, they could take the same amount of time and do Meego right?

Nokia has more devices out there than anyone. They had a plan to get apps on a lot of those devices and their future devices. They pissed it all away by moving to WP7. I suppose Nokia is banking on most if not all their users switching with them. Well based on what I've seen since their announcement, it certainly doesn't look that way.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cesman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
is meego too late as wp7 which will be properly featured in 2013 by nokia?
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
MeeGo was going to be late, regardless. Folks are too unwilling to admit that.

So instead, spread anger about WP7 - which, is easier to do since it's not full-featured as of yet nor is it a successful seller at the moment either.

Pick the easiest to do, run with that. That's what is happening on these boards. Easier to blame Elop than face the fact that nothing is shown a ****ing year later after the initial MeeGo announcement that can be purchased rather soon.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cBeam View Post
That's the point, I assume that Meego is too late and too weak at the moment. I assumed that Elop was brought in to fix the SW development problems Nokia has. I assumed Nokia has an execution problem and a new CEO is capable to fix that. I bought into the strategy Qt/Symbian/Meego.

Elop has been with Nokia for how long, 5 months now?

And now he kills their existing smart phone business (based on low to mid range Symbian), and concedes the high end.

And Nokia's first WP7 phone will be out late 2011. Sell in numbers 2012??? Good luck...

I am not a Nokia insider, but let me tell you something: I believe that a lot of Nokia employees will be fed up with this new direction. Nokia is also said to lay off thousands of employees. Does anyone believe that under these circumstances Nokia's execution will be improved?
Depends on what you mean by "Nokia's execution"...

The Following User Says Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
MeeGo was going to be late, regardless. Folks are too unwilling to admit that.

So instead, spread anger about WP7 - which, is easier to do since it's not full-featured as of yet nor is it a successful seller at the moment either.

Pick the easiest to do, run with that. That's what is happening on these boards. Easier to blame Elop than face the fact that nothing is shown a ****ing year later after the initial MeeGo announcement that can be purchased rather soon.
I read somewhere recently that Nokia had 10 guys working on meego...Elop could have hired 10 x the developers....sounds more like a msft flunky is invading it's competition and then letting it die.

Anyone who can't put 2 and 2 on this one must have fallen off the fruit truck comming into town.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:
To follow up on my snarky response, I don't think you can say either way about Meego. Maybe it would have failed, maybe it would have succeeded. But it never got the chance to step onto the field.

Tags
bada rox, meego rip