I have upgraded from N97 to N900. For me it was going to be a straight swap. On the specifications the N900 is way ahead.

On the software side of the coin Id like to say N97 but I am aware people managing the same with the N900 there is no clear winner since.

N97:
Office
MSN
OPERA
CORE PLAYER
.RAR
Iplayer

Many more.

The N900 before I install similar software I am told to be aware I may brick the phone since its not fully developed for the phone.

Im not enjoying my time with the N900 since Im struggling to find similar software at OVI or at maemo.org, when I do find software there is a disclaimer warning that I may mess up the phone if put a foot wrong.

Unfortunately I still have to rely on my N97 until the software is available for the N900 with any need to enter some command line etc

How many of you manage to make the N900 your primary device and also get the same or better results than your previous handset?

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
The equivalent software will come to the N900 and when they fix the problems with the Ovi store im sure developers will be developing for Maemo / QT, so dont give up yet.

The N900 may be young in the app department but it is growing and soon the big boys will see the profit they can make for developing for Maemo

Originally Posted by sandybeach View Post
The equivalent software will come to the N900 and when they fix the problems with the Ovi store im sure developers will be developing for Maemo / QT, so dont give up yet.

The N900 may be young in the app department but it is growing and soon the big boys will see the profit they can make for developing for Maemo
For me the N900 is a better experience when browsing and downloading from the net. Although for office files I do switch to the N97.

I cant wait to get my hands on some great software and games. I do hope they keep the N900 when the software finally does start releasing for the phone instead of replacing the phone with a new model.

I remember buying LG SMART VIEWTY II a few months ago, the new app store was not even ready or even a live link. I finally gave up and after all these months I dont think LG app store has made progress even if it has I dont think it would be worth going back.

I hope the same does not happen to the N900.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by CaSPeRFXX View Post
On the software side of the coin Id like to say N97

N97:
Office
MSN
OPERA
CORE PLAYER
.RAR
Iplayer

Many more.
Please elaborate in more detail, so we can try to help. While it is true that the N900 is still missing a few major apps (Office Editor, Ovi Maps with Navigation), it also offers many alternate solutions:
  • "Office": Documents To Go Viewer Edition
  • "MSN": If you mean the chat, there is a plugin available for the conversations framework. The N900 has ONE app for all different chat networks, no need for individual apps.
  • "OPERA": MicroB is a vastly superior, real browser IMHO. Or what functions are you missing form Opera?
  • "Core Player": Using SiB/Mplayer, the Extra Codecs package and the built-in Media Player offer a superior replacement.
  • ".RAR": unrar is available as command-line tool. Do you really need the .rar part or just unpacking? There is also 7zip available btw.
  • "Iplayer": If you mean the BBC iPlayer, then I believe there is also some solution around.

Please list some of the "Many More", this could be helpful in creating development ideas.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City

The Following User Says Thank You to mrebanza For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City
This dude had to smoke a blunt to justify getting a N97 before the N900 came out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDOa5...eature=related

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
To OP and in general to all.

Little warning about these kind of lists. Yes, you can find some software that is like what you have gotten used to on N97/symbian but bear in mind that they will behave in different way and you HAVE to learn some new ways to use them. They will probably evolve and be better over time, but just a little warning

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
@twaelti - you've hit the nail on the head... when i read CaSPeRFXX's list I thought "all this stuff already exists"...
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Midlands UK
Hi peeps, i usualy only read here (not knowing enough to comment on most things lol).But i feel more than qualified to speak on this thread.I went for an N97 having used symbian phones for some time and i have to say i was dissapointed in a massive way.It lacked speed in a big way and was very unstable during use and to be honest the signal strength for browsing was terrible (same carrier now with N900 and much better).All in all i found it not upto the job i wanted which is way less than you guys expect.I gave it upto 3 FW updtaes which was heading in the right direction but still just did not hit the mark.Apps or not the 900 just blows it out of the water.To put it simply N97 was a good PHONE but most other stuff sucked and th N900 is good at allmost everything with a phone app that could be better.Only my opinion but its nice to be able to comment on something without feeling like a total noob lol.

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
My wife has an N97 and the only software thing I envy about it is the free Navigation. On the hardware side I love the way the N97 screen pops up when you open it. If the two devices had a baby they would produce something really qt