Active Topics

Originally Posted by skvark View Post
Could not reproduce (original image is not affected anymore so I tested with the preprocessed one): https://twitter.com/unpixels/status/606509136323477505

If someone sees that bug still in some situation, please report. And those who had some photos affected by this, you can mirror/rotate the image back in some image manipulation program. I'm not sure does the Qt's QImage retain exif data after read -> save operation with same name. If not, I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused by this unintended "feature".
I believe this is as cool example of an edge case bug (jolla should deal with it, really, not every qt lib user), pics taken with app are fine, go ahead, this needs more eyes/more text

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 100 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
I believe this is as cool example of an edge case bug (jolla should deal with it, really, not every qt lib user), pics taken with app are fine, go ahead, this needs more eyes/more text
Yes, but in any case the app should not have touched the original pictures And thanks for the debugging help.

The Following User Says Thank You to skvark For This Useful Post:
Textractor is now available in the Jolla Store

Please report bugs and other stuff (feature requests) to the issues of the Textractor Github repository: https://github.com/skvark/Textractor/issues

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to skvark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 268 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Wow. I tried this on a shop receipt and it worked well (language: Finnish). I'm impressed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tsippaduida For This Useful Post:
Seems like photos have to be taken in "landscape view". Is that supposed to be like this?
Did some tests and all the pictures I took in portrait mode result in complete rubbish shown after processing...

But in correct view, recognition is actually quite good (Language: German).

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I've been waiting for an OCR on a mobile device for years! My first exposure to it was when PC/AT with 80286 CPUs running at 16 MHz were all the rage and I found it strange that it had all but disappeared from the surface of the earth.

Now finally my waiting is over! Thank you!

Of course, I played with it a bit and must say the results are pretty good. There are a few cases when a glare etc can cause some distortion and spoil the result but that is kinda expected. My favourite was trying to render a shot taken from the computer screen. This is what I got from the shot covering the second and third post in this thread:

Code:

€œ1€˜ in!€ 5 €™, VSfiM€™fi y; {fixijfii

Mm}: €˜3€˜ €œmg€? 957"€œ €˜5€˜ €˜14? gm 35;me 's gr Exam: [firm scar:

magi ;1"¢";;?
57311;, :51 €˜;€”._r 3L »_, If aw; 21,1 ,

Ay€˜

SM€œ 1 $6.1m 3€™ 2?in 1; {mm
p i ' . _ I
the N; '13") ($353€œ Van "A c " 11::st 1 w 'fkevz €™c»z~;.$|i Puma: fivnsw Ifu: YEW€œ! €™i

3 7€˜"; €œV31 €œ€˜V€˜;"€™-}Y""€˜8r%fi"‚ "22"€ '. 2;» n€˜r". mum:

03496-38 , was
mm€- ' ‚

. f I

II€™T' €˜wum? €˜é' wad: wwi: u €˜ €˜ Q rm,st

Cm :€˜mci'm: «an infiwazm It. Mme? 3 umii harm

M 1m 5" W1 3:» Em 0.1: in mm M: aw 9mg gm?€ Vim, €˜99:?€œ

Wait} 8333mm 3pm; 5:11:92 :€œgr €œimam:

WG-15 . $137
1'1

O sz€˜opm

wan €˜ . €œ3139113561 .€˜* ~' T€˜t @er 7 er €˜

Cs Wfimmwmfi
i fimfia m
Of course, this is not a fair test but I still found it somewhat entertaining

If I may have a feature request, I would like to see rendering of some common programming languages. Particularly C and C++. Most of them look like English so it should not be a big problem.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
You also maybe should add a .nomedia-file to your app folder because the pictures will show up e.g. in Android Whats**p.

Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
You also maybe should add a .nomedia-file to your app folder because the pictures will show up e.g. in Android Whats**p.
What pictures? The ones Textractor takes? That might be tricky. The pictures are saved in your standard Pictures folder with all your other pictures.

They also show in Gallery. Unless Textractor deletes them immediately or provides a means to do that within the app, I prefer to leave it as it is so I can delete them in Gallery.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Why should the app save the images to some other location than in the gallery? As pichlo noted, I'm not going to invent the wheel again if some other app already provides means to for example delete the image.

If I may have a feature request, I would like to see rendering of some common programming languages. Particularly C and C++. Most of them look like English so it should not be a big problem.
What do you mean by "rendering of some common programming languages"?

And yes, taking an image of a screen is not going to work so well in most cases, the background is too hard for the preprocessing step unless there are clearly pure black/white regions.

Originally Posted by skvark View Post
What do you mean by "rendering of some common programming languages"?
Sorry if I used a wrong term. What I mean is, take a picture of a snippet of e.g. a C code from a book and convert it to text. The formatting may come out wrong but most languages do not care. In pathological cases like e.g. Python, the user will have to do some post-processing.

And yes, taking an image of a screen is not going to work so well in most cases, the background is too hard for the preprocessing step unless there are clearly pure black/white regions.
Mine was black text on pure white background but it did not work because you could clearly see the raster in the photo, even though it was invisible with a naked eye. I am aware that this is a challenge and was not expecting miracles.