Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Hi,

Not really sure if this works always (and if it's documented anywhere), but holding pressed the escape + middle d-pad buttons and pressing the power button switches off the N800.

It worked for me while the device got frozen and nothing was responding. It might be an alternative to having to remove the battery in similar situation.

C

Sorry to seem obtuse, but what's the escape button?

The escape button is the one with the curved arrow.

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
The escape button is the one with the curved arrow.
Yes that's the escape button, but seems I was pressing a couple of buttons too much!!

It's enough to press the 'off' button continuously and the device switches without the usual menu..

Not that big of a discovery. I'll go and hide now.

Does this switch off the device or just put it in standby mode and if it does shutdown is it a clean shutdown or a forced one?

Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
It's enough to press the 'off' button continuously and the device switches without the usual menu..
That's right, it's how it's meant to work.. if you hold it, it turns off (I bet your laptop computer works the same way..)

Ahh, OK, so maybe not a big discovery. What would be nice, though, is a software way to shut down. On the N800, the power button feels awfully flimsy.

Yes, I do know I can (as root) do a "halt" from an Xterm, and honestly, that's how I usually shutdown my laptop, but it doesn't work as user. Seems like a menu option to do it would be in order. I suppose I could chmod +s "halt", but ....