Can someone please just help me! I am a novice user of the N900, I have tried and tried to 'decipher' what the hell most of the posts are about and it seems that no existing threads are basic enough for me to understand what to do...

...I am trying to install the ScummVM emulator to my N900. I understand that there is no prizes for helping anyone out but I really need some advice on how to do this. There are no YouTube tutorials on how to do what I need to do, or even a basic part of it, let alone any easy to understand method written on any of these threads.

What I understand so far is I must install the files via the X Terminal. I have already installed the ScummVM file to my Documents Folder and I am trying to install it using the following command:

dpkg -i /home/user/Documents/scummvm_1 .0.0_armel.deb

the result of this reads:

dpkg: unknown option -/

Type dpkg --help for help about intalling and deinstalling
ackages[*];
Use `dselect' or `aptitude' for user-user friendly package manage
ent;
Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files
Type dpkg --licence for copyright license and lack of warran
y (GNU GPL)[*].

Options marked[*] produce a lot of output - pipe it through
`less' or `more' !
~ $

All of which I have no clue about.

I have read in other posts that I must enter sudo gainroot before I can use X Terminal for installations however I only get the following response for this command:

Enable RD mode if you want to break your device
~ $

I can't find any step by step guide in how to enable RD mode, or even why I would need to do this...

...all i want is for someone to help me! I appreciate that many of you are just thinking 'get lost n00b' but I thought the point of these forums was to share your knowledge and help people if you can!

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
Originally Posted by dpnk44 View Post
Can someone please just help me! I am a novice user of the N900, I have tried and tried to 'decipher' what the hell most of the posts are about and it seems that no existing threads are basic enough for me to understand what to do...

...I am trying to install the ScummVM emulator to my N900. I understand that there is no prizes for helping anyone out but I really need some advice on how to do this. There are no YouTube tutorials on how to do what I need to do, or even a basic part of it, let alone any easy to understand method written on any of these threads.

What I understand so far is I must install the files via the X Terminal. I have already installed the ScummVM file to my Documents Folder and I am trying to install it using the following command:

dpkg -i /home/user/Documents/scummvm_1 .0.0_armel.deb

the result of this reads:

dpkg: unknown option -/

Type dpkg --help for help about intalling and deinstalling
ackages[*];
Use `dselect' or `aptitude' for user-user friendly package manage
ent;
Type dpkg -Dhelp for a list of dpkg debug flag values;
Type dpkg --force-help for a list of forcing options;
Type dpkg-deb --help for help about manipulating *.deb files
Type dpkg --licence for copyright license and lack of warran
y (GNU GPL)[*].

Options marked[*] produce a lot of output - pipe it through
`less' or `more' !
~ $

All of which I have no clue about.

I have read in other posts that I must enter sudo gainroot before I can use X Terminal for installations however I only get the following response for this command:

Enable RD mode if you want to break your device
~ $

I can't find any step by step guide in how to enable RD mode, or even why I would need to do this...

...all i want is for someone to help me! I appreciate that many of you are just thinking 'get lost n00b' but I thought the point of these forums was to share your knowledge and help people if you can!
Try to write the commandline again OR use copy/paste on Your own line posted...

Instructions on copy/paste are below in my sig... (in terminal press the upper bar and "paste")...

BTW, why not just use the ScummVM in extras-devel (should be the same - only working better + optified - it's version 1.0.4)...? Enable extras-devel, install, and disable it again!

EDIT -> OR use the package here...

Last edited by DrWilken; 2010-01-03 at 15:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to DrWilken For This Useful Post:
Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA
use advice from DrWilken:
use the ScummVM in extras-devel (should be the same - only working better + optified - it's version 1.0.4)...? Enable extras-devel, install, and disable it again!
or if you want use terminal:
1. install rootsh (from repository)
2. open x-term
3. type "sudo gainroot" (or just "root")
4. go to folder where you store package. in this case type "cd /home/user/Documents/"
5. type "ls". You need check file name because you file name contain space after 1 (at least in you post)
6. type "dpkg -i 'scummvm_1 .0.0_armel.deb' ". But if it is contain space will be better rename file name and after this install

The Following User Says Thank You to mikhmv For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikhmv View Post
use advice from DrWilken:

or if you want use terminal:
1. install rootsh (from repository)
2. open x-term
3. type "sudo gainroot" (or just "root")
4. go to folder where you store package. in this case type "cd /home/user/Documents/"
5. type "ls". You need check file name because you file name contain space after 1 (at least in you post)
6. type "dpkg -i 'scummvm_1 .0.0_armel.deb' ". But if it is contain space will be better rename file name and after this install
I belive that scummvm_1.0.4_armel.deb will be a better choice...

ScummVM 1.0.0 isn't optified and doesn't work as good as 1.0.4 on the N900...

BTW -> You can also use Ctrl-i to "autocomplete" a filename so just type dpkg -i scumm (and then Ctrl-i) and baaaaam Your commandline will say: dpkg -i scummvm_1.0.4_armel.deb...

Last edited by DrWilken; 2010-01-03 at 15:51.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrWilken For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Yorkshire
You must install the Rootsh package from the App Manager before you can do a
Code:
sudo gainroot

The Following User Says Thank You to xmob For This Useful Post:
Also, remember to run "apt-get clean" after You install (if You do it manually using dpkg -i) to clean up the apt cache (using space in rootfs)..

The Following User Says Thank You to DrWilken For This Useful Post:
Posts: 161 | Thanked: 209 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
First of all, there's no such folder as "Documents" in /home/user by default. Path to folder "Documents", as seen in File browser, in X Terminal is:

Code:
/home/user/MyDocs/.documents
Mind the "." before documents and capital "M" and "D".

The Following User Says Thank You to mivoligo For This Useful Post:
Thank you all SO much, I'll give these tips a go and let you know how I get on.

Ok,

so far I have sucessfully installed Rootsh and downloaded the ScummVM 1.0.0-4 package, however the next bit I am stuck on:

mivoligo - when I type in your suggestion of...

"/home/user/MyDocs/.documents"

I get the response of "Permission denied"

any ideas?

Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Originally Posted by dpnk44 View Post
Ok,

so far I have sucessfully installed Rootsh and downloaded the ScummVM 1.0.0-4 package, however the next bit I am stuck on:

mivoligo - when I type in your suggestion of...

"/home/user/MyDocs/.documents"

I get the response of "Permission denied"

any ideas?
1. type "cd /home/user/MyDocs"
2. type "ls -a"

Check: Do you have here ".documents"
if yes you can type "cd .documets"
P.S you can use auto completion in x-term for example:
type: "cd /h" and after this press Tab (on screen) it will be changed to "cd /home/". type "u" and press Tab and It will be changed to "cd /home/user/".....

If you type "/home/user/MyDocs/.documents" without "cd " before than program try to execute folder "/home/user/MyDocs/.documents" and you should get error!!!

Last edited by mikhmv; 2010-01-03 at 16:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikhmv For This Useful Post: