Hello all,

Just got the N900 and think I've messed it up already
Don't really know what I did - spent several hours installing some apps then went to bed. The battery died and when I next turned it on all the language localizations had gone, so things like wdgt_va_24h_time instead of the clock.

I went to copa_ap_cp_name (think this is Settings), cpal_ti_language_and region and tried to change it back to English. However under the cpal_fi_pr_device_language dropdown menu, there are NO options. I tried changing this yesterday and all the languages were there. The options under cpal_fi_pr_your_region are still there, however it changes to Algeria (the first option) after a reboot no matter what I set it to.

I tried apt-get install --reinstall locales in the terminal as recommended on some other forums and it did some installing but didn't help. All languages are still present in /usr/share/locale/ with a folder LC_MESSAGES in each language folder.

On this forum there are Arabic, Bulgarian, Greek etc. language packs. I presume these would add languages to the device. Is there a way to get the English language pack back? I would rather not reflash unless there's a way to keep all the other settings and emails? btw, how do i type things like > and | in the terminal?

Thanks!!

Last edited by zero; 2010-07-20 at 07:08.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Try to remove the battary for a while. When put it back you shall be able to set language.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Try to remove the battary for a while. When put it back you shall be able to set language.
Thanks but doesn't work. Tried removing SIM as well.

I'd go for a reflash session...

so how did u fix this problem? i'm on the same situation right now

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Have you tried "Restore original settings"?.

This you can get too by going into settings then touching the screen at the top to get the drop down menu.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Have you tried "Restore original settings"?.

This you can get too by going into settings then touching the screen at the top to get the drop down menu.
i tried a couple of times and it's still not working... is there any other ways to restore original settings or get the English language??

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Then only 2 things left to do and that is to un-install everything that has been installed one by one untill you get back to the position you want, making sure you reboot every time you un-install something, or do a backup and flash the Fiasco image only to start with.

if that's not gonna work that would sucks a d~

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Brazil
This happened to me (seeing wdgt_va_24h_time instead of time, etc.) when I edited the file /etc/osso-af-init/locale. If you know how to become root (install rootsh, open an X Terminal and type sudo gainroot) and edit the file (with Leafpad installed, type leafpad /etc/osso-af-init/locale), you can try replacing its contents with the following values:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

unset LC_ALL
export LANG=en_GB
export LC_TIME=en_GB
export LC_MESSAGES=en_GB
export LC_NUMERIC=en_GB
export LC_MONETARY=en_GB
export LC_PAPER=en_GB
export LC_NAME=en_GB
export LC_ADDRESS=en_GB
export LC_TELEPHONE=en_GB
export LC_MEASUREMENT=en_GB
export LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_GB
You might also issue these commands:
Code:
chown root:root /etc/osso-af-init/locale
chmod 755 /etc/osso-af-init/locale
Restart your phone and hopefully it will be OK!

Last edited by Ricardo; 2011-04-03 at 19:35.